Train Ticket Bangkok To Chiang Mai

blyish

I've tried www.thairailwayticket.com and a couple of other websites mentioned on seat61.com, but it seems I can't buy a first-class ticket online (2nd class, no problem). The Thai Railways website is not even working. Can I buy a ticket directly at the railway station? I live about two hours outside of Bangkok but I could make the trip to buy the ticket if I knew it was possible. Also, I'm traveling alone and I don't want to share the cabin. I assumed that meant I should buy 2 tickets but I saw something on a website about paying an "extra 500 baht if you want sole occupancy." Any ideas which one is correct?

The only way I travel on thailand by train is 1st class.I like having my own room.And if you wake up early in the morning,when you leave out in the night train you'll be able to sleep.Sleeping pills work great.

I'm in Hua Hin right now. I went to the train station yesterday and the girl at the counter insisted I needed to buy two tickets. She had no idea about the whole 500 baht thing. Also, the tickets online are about 1,600 baht each but she told me I had to pay 4,100 for two tickets. So she was either adding a nice commission for herself or she's just an idiot and has no idea what she's talking about. I'll try again to see if they have different people working there on different days.

I'm aware there might not be much difference between first and second class, but I'm traveling alone and I don't want other people in the cabin with me.

The only way I travel on thailand by train is 1st class.I like having my own room.And if you wake up early in the morning,when you leave out in the night train you'll be able to sleep.Sleeping pills work great.

I'm in Hua Hin right now. I went to the train station yesterday and the girl at the counter insisted I needed to buy two tickets. She had no idea about the whole 500 baht thing. Also, the tickets online are about 1,600 baht each but she told me I had to pay 4,100 for two tickets. So she was either adding a nice commission for herself or she's just an idiot and has no idea what she's talking about. I'll try again to see if they have different people working there on different days.

I'm aware there might not be much difference between first and second class, but I'm traveling alone and I don't want other people in the cabin with me.

Hua Hin has trains 24 hours a day, I expect the booking office will be open continously, so try a different time of day and hope you are served by someone else. I am surprised that the staff there don't know anything about the B500 supplement for exclusive use of a first class sleeping compartment, considering that they have four trains a day in each direction that call there and convey first class sleepers. The total cost for exclusive use of a first class compartment from Bangkok to Chiang Mai or vice versa should be B1953, made up of B1453 for the lower berth and B500 sole occupancy supplement. All SRT booking office issued tickets are computer generated and show the price paid, so if you were to be asked for B4100 you can always challenge the figure before parting with your cash.

If you go to http://www.railway.co.th/English/Supple.asp you will see the reference to the supplement payable for exclusive use. Its shown as 'Special charge for using double beds in the 1st class Per person 1,000 Baht Day & Night Coach', but that B1000 includes the standard B500 fee for the lower berth.

I doubt of you would have any problems if making such a booking in Chiang Mai, as the staff are always helpful and speak very good English.

Edited by Nuff Said

Take the 1st class cabin. Some people do not understand about snoring, babies crying, smelly feet or seat neighbours that yack all the time. wink.gif

If all other travel arrangements fail, why not use a travel agent? let them argue with a Thai Railways person.

I booked three 1st class cabins at BKK main station in person. When my party arrived for the night train, we were told there is no 1st class. Refund at Chang Mai. Train was stop/start/stop. Wait. Need new engine. Appalling. Never again.