Thai Govt To Unveil New Year Gift Today

webfact

Govt to unveil New Year gift today

By Kanittha Theppajorn

The Nation

med_gallery_327_1086_11528.jpg

Economy, quality of life, justice, education will be top priorities in national reform efforts; Ministers, working groups to oversee key areas; framework based on post-unrest survey

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva will today announce his government's blueprint for national reform, which will focus on the economy, quality of life, justice and education.

Efforts in these four areas will be overseen by key Cabinet figures from the ruling Democrat Party, namely Finance Minister Korn Chatikavanij, the PM's former secretary-general Korbsak Sabhavasu and PM's Office Ministers Satit Wongnongtaey and Ong-art Klampaiboon, as well as Abhisit.

The prime minister will oversee reforms to the education sector; Korn and Korbsak will focus on building a fair economy; Satit on improving the quality of life and social services; and Ong-art on improving the justice system, according Satit, who chairs the government's committee to drive Thailand's reform.

The implementation of reform measures could begin this month and those that require no budgets could kick off immediately, he added.

Satit told The Nation that the framework of reform areas was based on the government's "Six Days, 63 Million Ideas" campaign, conducted by state agencies on 100,000 respondents nationwide after the political unrest. He said most of the respondents identified these four areas as the top priority.

The prime minister submitted the matter for Cabinet deliberation and it was agreed that four working groups would be set up to oversee these areas, Satit said.

equal and fair

The implementation plan has been completed and Abhisit will announce the reform blueprint today and explain it in detail on January 9, Satit said.

Regarding efforts to reform the economy, making it an equal and fair one, the focus will be on reducing the cost of living and helping low-income earners who are outside the social-security system, such as motorcycle-taxi operators, taxi drivers and street vendors.

Other measures include controlling the price of consumer products and energy and gas; providing emergency bank loans to low-income earners; encouraging motorbike-taxi operators to register; designating areas for street vendors and protecting taxi drivers from corrupt policemen.

The quality of life reform, to be overseen by Satit personally, will cover three areas - social welfare "from birth to death", crime and narcotics, as well as land.

Satit said welfare benefit would be offered to new mothers until their babies are two years old. Private companies will be encouraged to focus their corporate social responsibility (CSR) projects on building child-care centres in tambons where there are none at present. Monthly allowances of Bt500 for the elderly and the disabled will continue, while compensation will be given to relatives of members of the social welfare system upon death.

Regarding crime and illicit drugs, a database will be set up to collect information on statistics by area, locations where crime is a common occurrence and areas where the drug trade is rife. The centre will also train volunteers to help reduce the workload of police patrol officers, and it will set up an online network with relevant organisations - such as rescue foundations - to keep watch on criminals.

As for land reform, priority will be on helping people being sued for encroaching on state land and trespassing, Satit said, adding that problem areas of land and forest encroachment would be identified to reduce the size of the problem. Also, a "special agricultural zone" will be designated to preserve areas suitable for farming and protect them from being used for factories or golf courses.

The justice system reform, to be overseen by Ong-art, will focus on improving police performance - not the police organisation's structure - and encouraging the settlement of disputes within communities in order to reduce the number of cases entering the justice system, Satit said.

The education reform, to be overseen by Abhisit, will focus on two groups of people - children outside the formal educational system and adults who are school dropouts. More effort should be made in giving those people better access to education.

Also, special pay and incentives will be given to teachers who perform well in their job.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-01-01

I don't know - I think this is actually a good idea. The report may sound political but in real terms is quite timely, able to be implemented and no reason it should not work. I think Abhisit is hitting his stride now all the 'coloured' issues are simmering. Give him his head and let him run and see what results he can come up with. I like they way it's going. smile.gif

New Year Gift? how about an election? jeeze...

Patience ... there'll be one by the end of the year.

yes I was being slightly playful... but it would have been nice to make the announcement - and also announce international moderators! now that would have really been a great New Years Gift - to the whole country - and whoever wins... wins - what a unifying influence that would have but it won't happen... alas...

Patience ... there'll be one by the end of the year.

yes I was being slightly playful... but it would have been nice to make the announcement - and also announce international moderators! now that would have really been a great New Years Gift - to the whole country - and whoever wins... wins - what a unifying influence that would have but it won't happen... alas...

This sounds good, but who will decide what teachers are performing well, because of the Thai system it just makes me think if its given to admin favourites. Justice to get a sort of re vamp--at the street level it would sound good, if the corrupt police force was sacked, lock stock and barrel. MOST of THAI problems are linked to this, The very top police person should have an indipendant survey of ALL top police in every Jangwat(county) if they are found to be corrupt--REPLACE with non corrupt (if any can be found) then they can sort out the towns top police. DOES THIS SOUND IMPOSSIBLE, the best way Thailand could start the new year.........and please HOUSE a policeman in every village, stop the drugs- thugs-drunks--YES at their home, easy to be seen-the less crime.

I don't know - I think this is actually a good idea. The report may sound political but in real terms is quite timely, able to be implemented and no reason it should not work. I think Abhisit is hitting his stride now all the 'coloured' issues are simmering. Give him his head and let him run and see what results he can come up with. I like they way it's going. smile.gif

Also, special pay and incentives will be given to teachers who perform well in their job.

And- of course- some more incredible changes for foreigners regarding visa and work permit. :jap:

And- of course- some more incredible changes for foreigners regarding visa and work permit. :jap:

Wouldn,t it be wonderful if the authorities eased off the resrictions-regarding visa runs--it,s not asking for much, Thailand you will benefit no end encourageing people here to stay and spend, The reiremment thing, the 0 visa, have long stay visa for retired people. Pensions are coming in, Just because you DUMP 800,000 in the bank, you qualify--FOR WHAT--if you are not near immigration you still have to report ,as if you were on remand. Cat-0 if you dont go back to your country-and get the year visa--its a run to (laos) example---every 90 days-3 pages passport used, apart from anyother trips-hence 10 year passport lasts 3yearsor so.AND its now Hong Kong for a new one--or spend 60,000 bht plus to go back to the u.k. I f they would only sit down and work out the benefits, spending a pension-here 40,000 baht-p/month x 12- say 500,000.baht. a year---compare that to the average tourist say 2 times a year. under 200,000 baht--some a lot less. WHO is worth more looking after--government STUDY it -your money isn,t it ??????????? come on top man you have a hell of a lot to sort out HERE, good luck.. I think your doing all you can with what power you have. taking all the measures your putting forward-you HAVE to have the people under you GOOD people-if not... ALL will be pointless-and a waste of valuable revenue.

Wouldn,t it be wonderful if the authorities eased off the resrictions-regarding visa runs--it,s not asking for much, Thailand you will benefit no end encourageing people here to stay and spend, The reiremment thing, the 0 visa, have long stay visa for retired people. Pensions are coming in, Just because you DUMP 800,000 in the bank, you qualify--FOR WHAT--if you are not near immigration you still have to report ,as if you were on remand. Cat-0 if you dont go back to your country-and get the year visa--its a run to (laos) example---every 90 days-3 pages passport used, apart from anyother trips-hence 10 year passport lasts 3yearsor so.AND its now Hong Kong for a new one--or spend 60,000 bht plus to go back to the u.k. I f they would only sit down and work out the benefits, spending a pension-here 40,000 baht-p/month x 12- say 500,000.baht. a year---compare that to the average tourist say 2 times a year. under 200,000 baht--some a lot less. WHO is worth more looking after--government STUDY it -your money isn,t it ??????????? come on top man you have a hell of a lot to sort out HERE, good luck.. I think your doing all you can with what power you have. taking all the measures your putting forward-you HAVE to have the people under you GOOD people-if not... ALL will be pointless-and a waste of valuable revenue.

I do agree reform would be helpful - also get rid of that stupid 90 day reporting - what a waste of time and waste of immigration staffs time

Besides the 90 day reporting, are the visa requirements any easier in other countries? I can't imagine a Thai being able to effectively live permanently in many western countries without a long term visa. If you want to stay here long term, get a long term visa, then you don't need to do visa runs all the time.

Besides the 90 day reporting, are the visa requirements any easier in other countries? I can't imagine a Thai being able to effectively live permanently in many western countries without a long term visa. If you want to stay here long term, get a long term visa, then you don't need to do visa runs all the time.

Normal thing for me. 1 year non im/cat/0 England, Ret/visa-800,000. in a thai bank sitting there NO, and being out in the sticks, reporting to Airport Udon Thani-is the same as a Nong Khai-re entry. half dayjob. Other long term visa i,m not sure about, I,m old and sometimes cannot get around as much as before, I was told the 0""visa is easiest for me. Thai-with guaranteed monies---- as most of retired people have here------give me a simple and easy answer to your LONG TERM visa,-so suggest what. I,m single with a condo. and a house near Udon Thani

I already explained it to you.

If he calls one now he will only have four years to work with. By waiting he can get near to five years.

Simple The problems facing Thailand are going to take a long time to go away.

The red shirts and the rest of there friends are under the impression that it can be done over night. Butt to do that they will have to get rid of Abhist who is the best man for the job.

I suspect that is why you are so insistent on getting him out. Your masters have told you they will win. You tend to forget they also told you they were going to have a peaceful rally with a 1,000,000 people. How did that work out?

Normal thing for me. 1 year non im/cat/0 England, Ret/visa-800,000. in a thai bank sitting there NO, and being out in the sticks, reporting to Airport Udon Thani-is the same as a Nong Khai-re entry. half dayjob. Other long term visa i,m not sure about, I,m old and sometimes cannot get around as much as before, I was told the 0""visa is easiest for me. Thai-with guaranteed monies---- as most of retired people have here------give me a simple and easy answer to your LONG TERM visa,-so suggest what. I,m single with a condo. and a house near Udon Thani

I have a retirement visa with a guarented income. Once a year I have to go in to renew it. Every 90 days I have to check in. I do thid as a matter of choice. for reporting in send a filled in form and your passport with some one else and it is done. There are companies who do this for a living.

Coming from the states where it is extremly hard to get My Thai wife in for a visit. It irritates me to no end these winners about the Thai Visa system. They have no idea how easy it is.

It has been my experience that people who have trouble with it are trying to cut corners. There are those all so who are the victims of a honest mistake. And those who don't speak Thai and expect the officer to be fluent in what ever language they speak.

Can just see the line up now for hiring.

Immigration officer needed must be fluent in six different language's.

People should get a visa that suits there needs. Visa runs every 30 days or 15 are OK. But not as a method of staying here for a long period of time.