California Wow Fitness Club - Cheap Membership

For those who are interested, California Wow is running a special offer on their membership, with pretty big (and bargainable) reductions. I got a membership for 1,600 Baht a month - they have people hanging around right by the enterance to the Siam Center waiting to sign you up.

For those who are interested, California Wow is running a special offer on their membership, with pretty big (and bargainable) reductions. I got a membership for 1,600 Baht a month - they have people hanging around right by the enterance to the Siam Center waiting to sign you up.

Thats a good price that you paid (farang price) Thai's get it for around half that. I paid a lot more than you for a month a year back.

• 2 years later...

I have a very bad impression of California WOW sales people. We have a new one opening in Pattaya this October. Now they pre-sell. The offer is 4000 Baht for joining (what a stupid idea, I must say!) + 1149 per month, You pay for 3 month and they charge every month then. Now discounts if you pay for the whole year!

They have a family discount, but to be recognised as family you have to have same surname, same address and same credit card. I think they are crazy out there.

And the manager at Pattaya branch are so agressive and furious! I don't like this american manner to do business.

He even told me it's cheapest in Pattaya. Ridiculous!

mmm, when they came to thailand, I payed 3 years ahead, coming down to a 800 baht/month. That is almost over now (december 2007). I ain't gonna extend probably and especially not for a "cheap" rate as 1600 baht/month.

Since my job brings me to different location all over thailand, I have visited gyms owned by locals and overseas. The locals catch up (still something to learn...) but their pricing is way better. I can stand a cockroach in the shower if that means 1000 baht/month less...

• 2 weeks later...

Well.

I personally stay away from California WOW and NOW. The sales model and practice sucks in every respect. Personal trainers in there are being forced to sell Personal Training hours to members. This was already an big issue way before they didn't have this ridiculous low price.

I can imagine that pressure from Personal Trainers towards new and existing members will only get worse. The price they are currently offering memberships are to low to alone pay for the monthly overhead expenses. I can only guess they will barely make it, which means more pressure has been handled over to the Personal Trainers to sell training hours for additional income, which in return will be a more agressive behavior to their members.

If you like being constantly bombarded by PT's and forced on buying PT hours, sign up. If you refuse to sign up for any PT time, be prepared to get abused, either verbally or psychologically.

:o

Edited by winniepooh

And the manager at Pattaya branch are so agressive and furious! I don't like this american manner to do business.

He even told me it's cheapest in Pattaya. Ridiculous!

Most likely the same pudgy little guy with funny shoes who could not produce a written price list and kept asking me how much would I feel comfortable paying for a membership.

Worse were the text messages I got from him the next couple of days with "better offers".

True Fitness charges the same price for a year's contract and is a much nicer club. Let me know if you want a trial membership. :o

• 7 months later...

True Fitness charges the same price for a year's contract and is a much nicer club. Let me know if you want a trial membership. :o

I was looking into inquiring about a temp membership at the California WOW. Where is True Fitness located? I would be interested in a membership. I am studying at Mahidol in Phattaya and the fitness center they have here only has one type of elliptical, and only one machine, and it is one I don't particularly like. That is why I was looking into a gym membershp. Do you know if True Fitness gives student discounts at all? And how could I get there, BTS? Bus? Thank you for your reply!

And also, if the free trial is still available I would love to try it out first. Thanks again!

[i am studying at Mahidol in Phattaya and the fitness center they have here only has one type of elliptical, and only one machine, and it is one I don't particularly like. That is why I was looking into a gym membershp. Do you know if True Fitness gives student discounts at all? And how could I get there, BTS?

I think from pattaya the distance to the BTS is a little far.

Mahidol don't have a campus in Pattaya, but have one in Phaya Thai which I think Sarah means, you could get BTS from there to Asoke where their is a true fitness on the opposite side of Sukhumvit from the California wow

Edited by Tingnongnoi

If you like being constantly bombarded by PT's and forced on buying PT hours, sign up. If you refuse to sign up for any PT time, be prepared to get abused, either verbally or psychologically.

:o

In all my time at California, I have never been verbally or psychologically abused.

Mahidol don't have a campus in Pattaya, but have one in Phaya Thai which I think Sarah means, you could get BTS from there to Asoke where their is a true fitness on the opposite side of Sukhumvit from the California wow

Thank you, yes that is what I meant. Sorry, still new to Thailand and not confident in all of the names. Thanks for the tip on the Asoke location. I will try to look them up online. :o

I find it very weird that you have to bargain with big chains such as CW. Same with double pricing. I just recently visited a CF and found the sales personnel both way overaggressive and incompetent. The recent offer now seems to be 399 for the first month, and 999 after that.

• 2 weeks later...
I find it very weird that you have to bargain with big chains such as CW. Same with double pricing. I just recently visited a CF and found the sales personnel both way overaggressive and incompetent. The recent offer now seems to be 399 for the first month, and 999 after that.

I got 2 years membership for 11,000 :o . A renewal fee of 100. This includes yoga, swimming pool access, but not the fitness trainers. I think this is as good as it gets. A Thai friend of mine is on 3,000 a month!

• 1 year later...

They'll never get my business as long as they pull these sorts of shenanigans.

Nobody FORCES me to buy anything and if they try I have no problem telling them to get out of my face.

There is a gym near my house that charges 18,000 for the year and everything is included. For the short-timers they have a 300 baht per use fee.

I've called Fitness First and California Wow since I didn't feel like dealing with their tactics and they hemmed and hawed about the prices until finally I said, "give me the price or I'll never use your company." This was a few years ago and they gave me a rate that I thought was ridiculous so I now don't even give them a thought. There are other ways to get your exercise without going to a health club and I certainly don't want those thieves to have my bank account or credit card information.

Edited by rockhardbkk

I got a lifetime membership at CW for 22K, you have to bargain with any gym worldwide, especially the big ones.

CW in Pinklao is the one I go to, its a very nice place and is the best gym I have every been too.

I got a lifetime membership at CW for 22K, you have to bargain with any gym worldwide, especially the big ones.

CW in Pinklao is the one I go to, its a very nice place and is the best gym I have every been too.

I hope you made a mistake in typing, i got the same that you have for only 12k. That was last week.

I might be going there today again or train at home. Just have to see how it works out today.

Edited by robblok

Yeah I wish it was a typo. I heard people have paid alot less then me and also alot more then me. I got the works deal, I got the yoga and towel service and also can go to and branch worldwide. I hope you dont have that too so I can feel abit better about it.

But 22K is still cheaper then what I was paying at fitness first in Australia per year. So if I just look at it that way, it will be ok for me. Plus the facilities are alot better then any fitness first in Sydney.

I'm suppose to go to Pinklao today also, but feeling abit hung over from last night.

For those who are interested, California Wow is running a special offer on their membership, with pretty big (and bargainable) reductions.

Personally I'd be wary of the company as I've heard a rumour amongst Thai's that the company is in financial trouble. You know what they say about rumours though, probably unfounded, but better to be aware. Maybe signing up 'short time' is the best option. 1600b a month equates to only 30+b a day. Not bad if you use it daily.

regards Bojo.

Yeah I wish it was a typo. I heard people have paid alot less then me and also alot more then me. I got the works deal, I got the yoga and towel service and also can go to and branch worldwide. I hope you dont have that too so I can feel abit better about it.

But 22K is still cheaper then what I was paying at fitness first in Australia per year. So if I just look at it that way, it will be ok for me. Plus the facilities are alot better then any fitness first in Sydney.

I'm suppose to go to Pinklao today also, but feeling abit hung over from last night.

I did not get towel service or going to clubs world wide. Towel service cost about 2100 per year so i have been told. I could go to other clubs in Thailand and that is all that i care about.

• 4 weeks later...

Buyer beware. Their so called personal trainers haven't been properly trained. My wife got a free trainer for one session 4 days ago. To start the workout, they made her sprint on the treadmill without doing ANY stretching to "see how she handles cardio." Then they had her maxing out on weight lifting to "see how much power" she had. To top it off at the end, the supervisor of the trainers got verbally angry at her when she refused to buy more sessions and told her "she would be stuipd not to make an investment for the future of your health." She told him it would be stupid to invest if it means she'll be broke. ha! I might be taking her to the doctor today; she can barely move.

Ok let me make you feel bad. :) The current price in pattaya is 10.000 baht for lifetime and 100 baht yearly renewal fee.Includes the yoga and use of the other clubs in Thailand.Forget about the use of the clubs worldwide as since end of last year Cawow are separated from the worldwide california group.Probably they forgot to tell you that.

so does anyone have a 'final offer' on fitness first?

I went to cal wow and they offered me 9k/year or 13k life time.

they are not part of California Fitness any longer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Fitness ) so this membership is worthless overseas (besides Hanoi, Vietnam)...

their sales tactics are quite aggressive but I simply told them that I have friends their who paid these rates (which is actually true). they sold the life time membership for 40k / year two years ago so maybe they are planning on selling or restructuring the company or they are simply so desperate for members that they offer the 13k for life time?!

I never had any problems with personal trainers trying to sell me anything (I am on a 3 months contract for 4k now, wanted to try first).

anyway, I want to become a member with fitness first coz it's MUCH closer to where I live but need an idea of what is possible so I can prepare for the 1st round of bargaining :)

thank you!!

ONE MORE THING THOUGH...

CAL WOW called me (in the future I wont give my phone number... we all have to learn :) and offered me free personal trainer lessons, OBVIOUSLY I said "NO, thank you" and that was the end of it. there's certainly no free lunch in Thailand.

It helps BIG TIME to ask to talk to the manger (normally his/her 'office' is right behind the selling area anyway), the one I talked to apologized for the blatant lies and aggressive behaviour of his sales people (he acted surprised :-) and gave me the three months contract without further ado:)

other than that I am quite happy with Cal Wow, they run many classes with well-trained, very friendly and helpful fun instructors. the showers, sauna and steam room are nice as well.