Bringing A Desktop Computer To England

Kadafi

hi looking to bring my desktop computer to england, its quite new so ill rather not sell it. Does anyone know the best option, to pay access baggage or to send mail (such as EMS etc?).

I have no idea the amount either would charge.

Thanks

Personally I would strip it down to the component boards and rebuild it when I got back - there's only a few separate parts inside and they don't weigh much, this will easily fit inside a suitcase with some suitable packaging and it will weight only 1 or 2 KG's, if that. Buy a new case when you get back and plug it all back together, cases cost about £20. I would also take the hard drive as a carry on to avoid damage due to baggage handlers throwing our case from great heights.

Edit - Excess baggage can cost more than the flight itself depending on the airline.

Edited by ukrules

Also did the same coming here, put all the insides in my carry on bag, put the empty case in my luggage filled with clothes inside and around, my Monitor at the time was 19" also put that in my carry on bag, the stand went into my suitcase.

Also did the same coming here, put all the insides in my carry on bag, put the empty case in my luggage filled with clothes inside and around, my Monitor at the time was 19" also put that in my carry on bag, the stand went into my suitcase.

I have put the 'guts' in hand-carry baggage before but never thought about this option of stuffing the case with clothes and taking it in the checked bags. I would only do that if the case was high-end though but still a smart option.

I brought 3 desktop PCs here from the US. I never disassembled them. I just put each tower in a suitcase and packed alot of clothes around them. I never had an issue. Thai customs scanned one suitcase, but never said anything about them. One suitcase was scanned by US security going out, but again no issues.

There are some good, innovative suggestions here. My daughter can totally assemble a computer in about 20 minutes.

I was only going to suggest buying an external hard drive and save everthing onto that. Then, just delete everything and sell the computer. I know computers are much cheaper in Canada or the USA than in Thailand..

Thanks all for your suggestions, i think i will just take an extra large suitcase and try and get the computer inside surrounded by plenty of clothes.

Hopefully i will still be inside my baggage allowance, with Jet airways and i believe they give 35kg so should be ok.