Apple Tv 2G (Black)

111tingtong

Hi all,

Today I tried to jailbreak my AppleTV 2G (Black) using PNWage Tools. The OS that was on the ATV was the latest 4.2.1. The dev teams do not have an official JB out for this yet but there is a tethered process that can be done, this youtube video explains how to do it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EWKr7Ww_c0

The jail-breaking went according to the video, however when I plugged the ATV into my TV at the end it booted up, showed the apple logo on the screen then the signal disappeared. The ATV is in a constant state with the led steadily flashing on and off.

The unit will not be recognize when its tethered to my iMac in iTunes (via USB micro cable) so I cant restore it there also. PWNage tools has a DFU button and asks to "connect device to USB" but when I connect it doesn't see it. Ive tried all sorts of combinations with the remote to get it into DFU mode without much success.

Im trying to jailbreak it so that I can upload Fire Core onto to which transforms it from something pretty useless in Thailand to a multi media powerhouse.

Any experiences or assistance would be gratefully appreciated. Im in CM and if anybody knows any thai/shop that can deal with these sorts of issues would appreciate some details. I know some of these guys are wizards with stuff like this.

Cheers

TT

You might have to wait for a new JB, preferably from GeoHot... PWNage tools has always been finicky...

Do the other JB tools work, like TinyUmbrella, LimeRa1n etc? These have good "kick it into DFU mode" functionality, helped me restore a bricked iPhone on occasion. But they probably only work on iPhones...

Have you tried this:

http://www.coveringweb.com/2010/10/put-apple-tv-into-dfu-mode-how-to-guide.html

(sorry for the spammy link, but it does contain instructions too, just from a quick Google search)

Hey Nikster,

Thanks for the input. Just got back from the BigC where I picked up another USB micro cable, just to eliminate the cable at fault, and would you believe, ping, showed up straight away in iTunes. Whats more strange I slaved the old cable back into the ATV and it worked also!!!!! dont ask coz I have no idea. The only thing I have done since I couldnt get it connected to iTunes was leave it unplugged over night, so it looks like leaving it unplugged for a while has reset it. It does say on the apple help somewhere if you unplug it from the cord for a few minutes or something it also resets the unit.

Anyway got the thing restored to factory and ill wait until a proper 4.2.1 jailbreak arrives. Havent used any of the other tools you mention, although I have TinyUmbrella and just about to use it to back the ATV SHSH bLobs incase things go pear shaped again.

Thanks again for your input, appreciate it

Cheers

TT