UN Secretary-General concerned over ongoing floods in northeastern Australia

News_Editor

UN Secretary-General concerned over ongoing floods in northeastern Australia

2011-01-06 04:07:38 GMT+7 (ICT)

UNITED NATIONS (BNO NEWS) -- The United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on Wednesday expressed his concern over the ongoing floods that have struck much of north-eastern Australia.

The state of Queensland has been hit by heavy rains and floods that have impacted significantly lives and property in the region. More than 200,000 have been reportedly affected by the flood waters that began in December.

"The Secretary-General is concerned by the danger to life and the destruction of property following the ongoing floods," said Martin Nesirky, spokesman for the UN head.

The floods have claimed the lives of nine individuals and caused damage worth approximately over 5 billions of dollars. The mining industry, the main in the state, has been stopped completely.

In addition, the severe flooding has destroyed vital food crops in the northeastern Australian region. Authorities have indicated that the rains will continue increasing during the weekend.

"He extends his condolences to the families of those who have been affected and stresses the readiness of the United Nations to assist in any way necessary," Nesirky added.

In response, Australia has launched the Queensland Flood Recovery which is led by Major General Mick Slater as appointed by Prime Minister Julia Gillard on Tuesday. He recovery force will oversee the millions of dollars in aid and services received from the international community.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-01-06

Core of my heart, my country,

Young Land of Rainbow Gold --

For flood and fire and famine

She pays us back three-fold...

(Dorothea MacKellar "My Country" 1908)

Well, let's hope there's some return from the soaking Queensland's getting.

My thoughts are with all those who've had a miserable Christmas and New Year with these terrible floods. I hope they get all the assistance they need in getting back on their feet.

Edited by Xangsamhua