Assistant principle dies in Omaha, NE high school shooting

News_Editor

Assistant principle dies in Omaha, NE high school shooting

2011-01-06 12:51:12 GMT+7 (ICT)

OMAHA, NEBRASKA (BNO NEWS) -- A 17-year-old senior of a Nebraska high school on Wednesday fatally shot himself after opening fire against two school administrators, one of them later died, local media reported.

Robert Butler Jr., who had recently transferred to Millard South High School in Omaha, Nebraska last October from Lincoln Southwest High School, shot the two administrators at around 12:50 p.m. local time. After police searched for Butler for around 40 minutes, authorities found him dead in his vehicle with a self-inflicted gunshot wound, the Journal Star reported.

Millard South High School Assistant Principal Vicki Kaspar, 58, died at the Creighton University Medical Center later that evening after succumbing to her wounds during the shooting. Principal Curits Case, 45, was reportedly in serious but stable condition.

The school issued a Code Red Lockdown, which was active until around 2:45 p.m. local time when the school began releasing each class one by one. All schools in the district were placed on lockdown as well during the search.

Lincoln Southwest High School Principal Rob Slauson described Butler as a "fairly normal, average student," the paper reported.

Details of the incident are still unclear, and authorities are also unsure of how and where Butler got hold of the weapon. His Father, Robert Butler Sr. is a detective with the Omaha Police Department and was a Lincoln police officer from 1995 to 2003, but no further information has been released.

The reason of the shooting also remains unclear, but Butler posted a Facebook message before the shooting saying people were going to hear "about the evil s--t" he did.

"Everybody that used to know me I'm sry but Omaha changed me and f---ed me up. and the school I attend is even worse ur gonna here about the evil s--t I did but that f---ing school drove me to this. I wont u guys to remember me for who I was b4 this ik. I greatly affected the lives of the families ruined but I'm sorry. goodbye."

In addition, friends say the 17-year-old senior had been recently suspended for driving his car on the football field. He had also previously carved out a curse word onto something he made at his pottery class, which got him in trouble. However, he has been generally described as a regular teenager who was new to the school.

One of the most remembered school shootings was the Colombine High School shooting, which occurred on April 20, 1999 in Littleton, Colorado. During the shooting, 12 students and a teacher were killed. In addition, 23 other students were injured before the shooters, Eric Harris, 18, and Dylan Klebold, 17, killed themselves.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-01-06