Any Zen In Thailand ...

troysantos

HIYA!

Like Zen ... a lot. Know of any Thai monks in the Theravada tradition teaching in a more Zen-like fashion?

I was in Korea for a few years and though it was perplexing, it's been coming to me lately.

I'll move to Thailand soon. I can go live pretty much anywhere in the country.

Some people say to dream big, right? They say to throw out all limits to dreams, right? I've been embracing this idea lately. I've got a dream ... to find a farmer who's had an awakening, and would be willing to teach this dreamy farang farming and to point the way, using farming. You know Zen in the Art of Archery, yeah? Well, why not ... in the Art of Farming?

So, where can I find such a person? Someday ... somehow ....

Thanks a ton.

Troy Santos.

greetings troy,

in my personal opinion, which of course you may dismiss, the popular conception of zen being taught through various disciplines like martial arts, farming, or engine care :whistling: is tenuous at best; it's more of a concept that arose in the 1960's, and among 18th century Japanese aristocrats, rather than a truly Zen practice. The vast majority of Zen literature focuses on inner activity within one's own mind, often without even a teacher (or a teacher who gives very little instruction ;) ).

While I believe that the Zen and Theravada 'awakenings' are one and the same, samyak-sambodhi, others here disagree, and might laugh at the idea of a Thai farmer having a zen awakening. I think it possible, but very unlikely, much less so the probability of you ever even finding such an individual. I applaud your idealism, but you might be better meditating where you live currently, which I know seems depressing, and reading up on ancient, authentic Zen texts rather than modern books or rather than trying to find a teacher in this modern world of frauds.