Techno Wars

slinky1876

I saw a Thai TV programme on TV last and due to my basic Thai language skills I want to know more. It seems there is an ongoing problem in Bangkok between two sets of schools. I am led to belief that Techo and Techniqueschools or something like that, do not get along. The programme showed groups of youths aged between 18-21 cashing each other with braveheart style weapons. The police stopped one youth with an 18 inch blade down his pants, who had just been caught on camera weilding and chasing the opposite school students down the road. The youth was issued with a 100 baht on the spot fine. The show also shows groups of youths attacking buses with guns and missles which must have been ferrying the opposite schools students away. It seems it become a big problem in Bangkok. I live in CM and would like to know if anyone could shed any more light on this subject. I was told by the missus that students are killed due to these pitched battles.

Yes, the problem is real, see news-posts about kids being killed by other kids from rival schools.

Often it seem to be technical schools, i.e. car-mechanics are more likely to be flat-headed hoodlums than those aiming to be a doctor...

The fine for having a blade and even threatening or trying to stab someone is correct at 100 baht.

I was attacked in Phuket by a guy with a large hunting knife. He was trying to stab me, but he didn't. I ran faster.

Police tackled him and we both ended up in the Police station. He was not Thai.

I thought he would be in reasonable trouble, but he was fined 100baht and the police even showed me a laminated card with the fine on it.

I asked "but what if had stabbed me or killed me?" They shrugged and simply said "but he didn't".

What was even funnier was that they gave him back the knife.