Wood Chips For Bbq

bjohn34

save the money and use chunks from longan trees, hickory is a very bitter wood.

while your on the subject I make charcoal from my logan prunings and use the wood vinegar (collected condensation from the process) as a liquid smoke that can be rubbed on the meat or added to bbq sauce for smokey flavor. I would suggest that if your looking for smoke flavor instead of cooking heat chips that have been soaked in water can be made as well from the logan but it might taste a little sweeter and milder as fruit woods tends to over hickory, taking in consideration the time and amount.

save the money and use chunks from longan trees, hickory is a very bitter wood.

Hickory is great for pork ribs, have used it many times, it leaves the meat very dark, i prefer mesquite, I have seen it at various places like Rimping and Homepro, Truevalue in Pattaya have a good range, pm me if you can't find what you want.

hickory alone is not as good as mixing it with apple or cherry. Rimping has all. But most people just waste their money because they actually just grill the meat and don't get the smoke into the meat at all. If the meat doesnt' have a red ring on the outside the smoke didn't penetrate and it is worthless.

hickory alone is not as good as mixing it with apple or cherry. Rimping has all. But most people just waste their money because they actually just grill the meat and don't get the smoke into the meat at all. If the meat doesnt' have a red ring on the outside the smoke didn't penetrate and it is worthless.

Well the real reason for the smoke ring is below.

The smoke ring is just a chemical reaction between nitrogen dioxide and the

amino acids in the meat which produce a pink color. Nitrogen dioxide is produced when wood is

burned at temperatures exceeding 600 deg F. Note this is in the firebox and not your cooking

chamber. The smoke ring really has nothing to do with smoke at all. The smoke will impart it’s

flavor to the surface of the meat independent of the smoke ring reaction.

Interestingly enough, gas grills do produce nitrogen dioxide. Some sawdust burning smokers that combust at lower

temperatures do not produce nitrogen dioxide.

5 hours at 225c produces a lovely smoke ring on pork in this.

post-4090-0-16911400-1294491052_thumb.jp