Roof Leaks When It'S Not Raining

mco

Ladies and Gents

We have a leaky roof but it never leaks when it rains.

It's either one of two things

1) Condensation

2) Tiles absorbing water and releasing it when the sun cooks them up.

It's the strangest thing but it appears mostly around mid day when the sun is it's hottest. The "water" gathers at the top and bleeds down the interior beams dripping then onto the floor. The house is 40 sqm. It is an open ceiling in that we see the bottom of the tiles. There is no grass cloth underneath.

I think it's a ventilation problem which causes condensation (condition #1). The house has been up for 3 years and it's never been as bad as it was this year. During the year our caretaker "sealed up" the house because we were having a mice infestation.

How do I ventiliate a tile (short square ceramic tiles) roof while keeping the mice out and the air condition in. (We don't mind losing a bit of cool air as we really only run this when we sleep)

The second option is the tiles absorbing water and "releasing" the water when they are heated up. The one thing in common about these two theories is the hot sun. On cloudy days, or when it's raining, this dripping inside doesn't happen.

Looking for some help in solving the issue. Wondering if other home owners have experienced the interior drip.

B)

Why not get a roofing contractor in to inspection your roof?????:annoyed:

Next step, yes. Just wondered if anyone had similar problems with the internal dripping from the ceramic tiles. Needed as much information as possible, lest a roofing contractor "tell" me what my problem is.

Thanks Rooo. I will look out for one of those. :blink:

Roof vent will help with any build up of condensation due to heat or poor airflow.You also have to see if your roof is not leaking due to dew seeping in.

Thanks Rooo. I will look out for one of those. :blink:

Roof vent will help with any build up of condensation due to heat or poor airflow.You also have to see if your roof is not leaking due to dew seeping in.

Thanks. If it is a "dew seeping in" issue I'm thinking about having the tiles covered in "yak kaa" (sp?). The black/dark thatch used on the roofs at the samui airport and other places around town. Originally when I thought it was leaking this was going to be the fix. I'm going to look into a roof vent first. Appreciate the information.

Where would one buy these roof vent spinners on Samui?

Not seen ..... but think would help removing hot air in the attic, during the summer season too!

To answer my own question here: I was in Home Mart, Maenam, yesterday & I asked, if they have.... which they do.... stuck down in the "back forty" of the warehouse.... Obviously not fast movers, as there were several dumped to the side....

Although galvanized, the rivets were rusted....(I think aluminum would be better) and the hole plates (to put into the roof, were miss fits to the sizes they had ...) 14" 22" & 24" ranging in price from 1960 b to 2600 b.... it was not clear whether it included the roof plate....or not....next time I see the roofing manager, I'll ask him, as his English is pretty good..... Home Mart is usually good about bringing things in....

The name in Thai is something like, Lum Muun....

• 2 weeks later...

Where would one buy these roof vent spinners on Samui?

Not seen ..... but think would help removing hot air in the attic, during the summer season too!

To answer my own question here: I was in Home Mart, Maenam, yesterday & I asked, if they have.... which they do.... stuck down in the "back forty" of the warehouse.... Obviously not fast movers, as there were several dumped to the side....

Although galvanized, the rivets were rusted....(I think aluminum would be better) and the hole plates (to put into the roof, were miss fits to the sizes they had ...) 14" 22" & 24" ranging in price from 1960 b to 2600 b.... it was not clear whether it included the roof plate....or not....next time I see the roofing manager, I'll ask him, as his English is pretty good..... Home Mart is usually good about bringing things in....

The name in Thai is something like, Lum Muun....

Jimmy, that's great. Thanks for following up. I am leaning towards a cupola style or second roof with ventilation. We'll see. I'll respond when something gets in motion.

post-18008-0-62402400-1296395340_thumb.j

• 1 year later...

Following up on my own posts. Shame on me. Well it's been a year and a half and no dripping. We ended up putting the yaa aka (grass roof) on top of the tiles. Right over them. Roof looks great and is keeping the tiles cool. No more dripping.

• Like 1

Why do you run the air con during the night when it is the coolest time? Or do you sleep during the day?

yes why? you are not alloud to moraly have your air con on at night. infact another way to dealwith a house problem istojust move out. just through your 15 mill house in the toilet its only money.\

Logic I suppose.

Unless one is never in the house during the waking hours, those daytime hours are the hottest, therefore, one would assume that if air con was needed at all, it would be needed at the hottest times of the day (the 24 hour day) not at the coldest (which is at night).

It was just a question; a person can run his air con at 18 degrees all day and all night for all I care.

Does it not seen reasonable to think that if you don't run the air con in the hottest part of the day, then you would certainly not need it during the coldest?

Of course maybe someone needs to have it arctic and sleep under down blankets. It's possible (and expensive in air con costs), but it doesn't eliminate my right to question it.

And an, "open ceiling in that we see the bottom of the tiles"? So no attic, or crawl space or even insulation? What kind of place is this?