Americans In Bangkok

derekgraddy

Why would americans hang out anywhere as a group? In fact, there are usually a large nuber of non-americans at the 4th of July event each year in BKK.

I lived in BKK for years and b=never strived to either hangout with nor avoid fellow americans. My friends were about the same ... though some obviously needed more English language social contact than I did.

In my experience, Americans traveling abroad generally do not strive to congregate together. If I wanted to spend all my time hanging around a bunch of Americans, I would have stayed home. I'm nearly always happy to meet and greet another American, but I don't feel any special need to seek out groups or meeting places. I think a lot of travelers from the States share similar feelings and just tend not to congregate as much as some other nationalities - plus us Yanks seem to be one of the minorities among expats and tourists in LOS, so not as much incidental grouping either. I would look for places that show American football or other US-based sports, probably your best bet.

Speaking as an American -- who cares?

Some of my favorite people are Americans and I have nothing against them in general --I don't seek them but I certainly don't avoid them -- but I could say precisely the same thing about a number of nationalities; I can't relate to travelling halfway around the world and then making an effort to seek out the same nationals that you just left (and as fad as I know, apparently most Americans can't relate to that either as I'm not aware of any place where they go to congregate).

EDIT TO ADD:

Oops! Previous poster said it already and more completely.

Edited by SteeleJoe