Foreign Tourist Arrivals In Thailand Exceed Target In 2010

webfact

Tourism Authority: Foreign Tourist Arrivals Exceed Target in 2010

Despite political and economic turmoil, as well as natural disasters hitting Thailand in 2010, the Tourism Authority of Thailand has reported that foreign tourist arrivals were recorded at 15.6 million, surpassing the targeted 15.1 million.

Meanwhile, this year’s target has been set at 15.5 million.

Tourism Authority of Thailand or TAT Governor Surapol Svetserani reports that December 2010, the high season for tourism, saw 1.3 million tourists enter the country, according to statistics from the Tourism and Sports Ministry.

This puts the entire year’s tourism arrivals at 15.6 million baht, exceeding the target of 15.1 million.

This is despite political and economic problems earlier in the year, as well as natural disasters in later months.

For 2011, the TAT has set a modest target of 15.5 million arrivals.

The TAT governor says the makeup of tourists has changed to more arrivals from the Middle East and Asia.

Among this group, there has also been an increase in spending in Thailand.

Meanwhile, European and American tourists are on the downtrend, while those who make it here are spending less, most likely because of the economic uncertainties in their home countries.

This has caused the spending average and number of days in Thailand to decline for tourists in 2010.

The TAT will conduct a more detailed study on this issue to determine how to alleviate the decline.

To promote tourism, the TAT will be hosting a campaign to encourage travel in the Northeast, at the Queen Sirikit National Convention Center from January 27 to 30.

The TAT governor says the Northeast offers a longstanding culture and history and is filled with many interesting attractions.

The event will feature seminars about the Northeast and will see booths from leading hotels, resorts, and travel agencies.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-01-10

footer_n.gif

Interesting figure seeing that all year l have read that all holiday destinations in LOS are quiet and has been causing problems for bars and hotels alike. :rolleyes:

It may be short lived anyways if these Red Shirt Clones continue casing havocs for tourists

This is a link to the breakdown of arrivals.

http://tourism.go.th/2010/th/statistic/tourism.php

Interesting how the Immigration Police statistics for Iran and Iraq are listed under "other" for the middle east. They account for 53.6% of the total middle east arrivall

It would be nice if they also showed the tourist destination by Thai city.

To bad that the Pattaya streets are swarming with so many Iranians, Iraqies and Russians. There aren't much fun to be around if you aren't one of them.

Interesting figure seeing that all year l have read that all holiday destinations in LOS are quiet and has been causing problems for bars and hotels alike. :rolleyes:

It may be short lived anyways if these Red Shirt Clones continue casing havocs for tourists

Just curious if you misspelled clowns?

This is a link to the breakdown of arrivals.

http://tourism.go.th/2010/th/statistic/tourism.php

Interesting how the Immigration Police statistics for Iran and Iraq are listed under "other" for the middle east. They account for 53.6% of the total middle east arrivall

It would be nice if they also showed the tourist destination by Thai city.

To bad that the Pattaya streets are swarming with so many Iranians, Iraqies and Russians. There aren't much fun to be around if you aren't one of them.

Are not Iranians and Iraqis not supposed to drink or fornicate. :ermm:

Just curious if you misspelled clowns?

clone clown what's the difference; unless you are worried about 3 smiley faced guys making animal balloons while making up numbers just in time for budget requests.

http://www.aseanaffairs.com/thailand_news/tourism/thailand_s_new_tourism_chief_anticipates_16m_arrivals_in_2010

Thailand’s new tourism chief anticipates 16m arrivals in 2010

6 January 2010

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) expects the number of foreign tourists to reach 16 million as targeted if there are no serious political disturbances nor epidemics, national news agency TNA reported.

Speaking on the first day of assuming the TAT governorship, Governor Surapon Sawetseeranee said he would attempt to increase the number of foreign arrivals to the target set by Tourism and Sports Minister Chumpol Silpa-archa.

“Unless there is political chaos or epidemics, the number of foreign tourists will edge up to 15-15.5 million against the target number of 14 million,” he said.

For local tourism, the target number of local tourists is expected to reach 90 million with combined revenues of 430 billion baht (1$=33 baht) this year.

He said strategies to attract foreign tourists are to expand, maintain, and retrieve the 3 groups of markets including Asean, Oceania (Australia-New Zealand and the Pacific) and China, Japan, Korea, Taiwan and Canada where there are several million targeted foreign tourists.

The TAT chief added that the New Year celebrations this year were more joyful than those of last year, which could help boost tourism.

The New Year celebrations generated incomes of at least 3.2 billion baht. Of this, 1.1 billion baht came from foreign tourists and 2.1 billion baht from domestic tourists.

Thailand’s most favoured destinations are major provinces including Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Mae Hong Son, Phuket, Songkla, Samui and Pattaya.

Love the whole target setting, miss, rejig, qualify, rejig, win, get bonus, that must take up months of every year.

Edited by Thai at Heart

From the OP:

Tourism Authority of Thailand or TAT Governor Surapol Svetserani reports that December 2010, the high season for tourism, saw 1.3 million tourists enter the country, according to statistics from the Tourism and Sports Ministry.

This puts the entire year�s tourism arrivals at 15.6 million baht, exceeding the target of 15.1 million.

12 * 1.3M = 15.6M. Yearly arrivals 15.6M. High season 1.3M. Assuming there is a low season, some months are better than high season?

I know it's not fair to complain, counting with only 10 fingers gets complicated when reaching higher numbers ;)

Quote -This has caused the spending average and number of days in Thailand to decline for tourists in 2010. - unquote

Everything else is dross.

I look forward to the first fatwa being issued against the villainous water ski mafia.

This is such a laugh. I've been thru SaiTaiMai to/fro four times thus far this season. Shocked at the lacked of farang.

Lots of buses to Phuket running half full. I do not trip in this province but my buses usually follow same rte south. I see who gets off at the big rest stops.

Just got back from camping in the nations favorite national park., 35 days so I can be a pretty good judge. Scant farang and he ones there cited the strong Euro and stated the ones that did come, most were "too stupid" to check the x-rates (I was speaking to old hands). All of them complained at the strong THB and many stated that they and they expect most Europeans will not be back due to sour economy and strong THB. Note: those were mainly Germans, the Europeans with the strongest economy. Some nights there were <20 farang in the whole campground. Note: the torrential rain certainly had some factor in this.

On my return I was shocked to see "all the farang" in the Suk BTS stop. But I recalled fooled myself because I'd been on an island out of civilization for a month. When I stopped and really looked at the situation, there were about as many farang as should be - in July. In fact, there was just a fewish foreign faces in the mix.

I'd like to have a look at KSR and walking street as well as Patong.

What a load

Edited by bangkokburning

Over the last year I seem to remember seeing a different report being issued from various tourist agencies like hotelier association and TAT. I would be really interested, just out of morbid curiosity, if someone would put together a list of all the headlines and a brief summary of said reportrs, just to see if they all contradict each other as my memory suggests they do / did.

On another note. Posted in the Sukumvhit BTS, a promo for some of Thailand most upscale hotels available to Thais only. So if the wealthy are not traveling and these hotels are willing to shunt the hotels off to locals at bargain bin prices - what is that saying?? We are in the height of high season.

From the OP:

This puts the entire year�s tourism arrivals at 15.6 million baht, exceeding the target of 15.1 million.

12 * 1.3M = 15.6M. Yearly arrivals 15.6M. High season 1.3M. Assuming there is a low season, some months are better than high season?

I know it's not fair to complain, counting with only 10 fingers gets complicated when reaching higher numbers ;)

Bang on :D

Your post was a life line in a sea of nonsense.:(

I could not believe the number of posters willing to expound there wisdom on a in your face farce. :(

On another note. Posted in the Sukumvhit BTS, a promo for some of Thailand most upscale hotels available to Thais only. So if the wealthy are not traveling and these hotels are willing to shunt the hotels off to locals at bargain bin prices - what is that saying?? We are in the height of high season.

These are again the most outrageous figures, we all have said previously border runs, workers included. Multiple adverts, as you say-half price but ---for Thai nationals only-this is racist and so bad for tourism, is this promoting Thai tourism. No

These are again the most outrageous figures, we all have said previously border runs, workers included. Multiple adverts, as you say-half price but ---for Thai nationals only-this is racist and so bad for tourism, is this promoting Thai tourism. No

Actually it is promoting Thai tourism in the literal sense. Just shows how badly foreign tourists and their money are needed.

Actually it is promoting Thai tourism in the literal sense. Just shows how badly foreign tourists and their money are needed.

Yes sure, How can a TAT stand by and allow hotels to state Thai nationals only, when it relies mainly on foreign tourists, so later when Thai nationals don't go what do they do ? is it racist ? anyone. !!!! is there a law against this I wonder. They should publish a list of these hotels that do these packages, then none thais can avoid them.

From the OP:

Bang on :D

Your post was a life line in a sea of nonsense.:(

I could not believe the number of posters willing to expound there wisdom on a in your face farce. :(

This is likely the true method of calculation used by the TAT brigade, sadly. I remember peak tourist numbers of roughly 14 million being announced in the best years, and the place felt swamped, you couldn't move in nightlife areas of Phuket, Samui, Pattaya, Bangkok etc. Chiang Mai night market packed, weekend and night markets in Bangkok packed. 30 plus flights a day to Samui all full both directions. Hard to get a room in many places, even outside of high season. Now save for a high season week or 2, the place is a ghost town.

http://tourism.go.th...tic/tourism.php

2010 Swampy arrivals

Jan 1,113,597

Feb 1,069,674

Mar 951,105

Apr 675,578

May 464,124

Jun 586,535

Jul 845,968

Aug 834,381

Sep 783,791

Oct 863,556

Nov 1,002,724

Dec 1,142,837

These figures were taken from the Tourist Police arrival report at Swampy. Only 5 million short of 15,300,000. Anybody think that 5 million arrived through Phuket and Chiang Mai? Maybe it is the same math that bars and restaurants use to total the check bin.

Edited by morejunk

Now there you go confusing the issue by giving numbers from another authority which would contradict the TAT numbers while patting them self on the back. Another group (TAT) that would appear to have about the same performance results as teats on a boar hog.

2010 Swampy arrivals

Jan 1,113,597

Feb 1,069,674

Mar 951,105

Apr 675,578

May 464,124

Jun 586,535

Jul 845,968

Aug 834,381

Sep 783,791

Oct 863,556

Nov 1,002,724

Dec 1,142,837

These figures were taken from the Tourist Police arrival report at Swampy. Only 5 million short of 15,300,000. Anybody think that 5 million arrived through Phuket and Chiang Mai? Maybe it is the same math that bars and restaurants use to total the check bin.

You forgot the landborder crossings.

Just got back from BKK.Friday evening was a fair amount of tourists on sukhumvit most of which were arabs and from other middle east countries.Saturday eve,about the same amount.Sunday,was quite empty and most of the vendors weren't even open and those that were closed early,no business.The hotel i stayed in was full...small hotel....but only for two night's.Most if not all were budget travellers and,this was not a normally low budget hotel ! The majority of foreign tourists i've seen are low budget or backpackers.Also read a piece in the nation that the high priced hotels are now wanting to cash in on the low budget travellers.

I now have noticed a change with the meter taxis in BKK.Now they will not except a fair and use the meter.Any trip that is not a long distance ie,airport,phuket or anything under 100 baht they will not use the meter,just charge a flat rate asking for 200 baht for a trip from sukhumvit soi 9 to soi 38 or 100 baht from same location to pratunam.I seen many tourists get in and instantly exit the meter taxi after finding out the inflated rates they are now asking the tourists and other foreigners to pay.This surely can't and won't be good for tourism.Are there no taxi regulations here in thailand.

They always do that. If they quote the real figure - more likely around 8-9 mil - it makes them look bad. :sick:

This is such a laugh. I've been thru SaiTaiMai to/fro four times thus far this season. Shocked at the lacked of farang.

Read the article again; they acknowledge that fewer farangs are coming over, that's no secret, though their estimate on foreign (Asian) arrivals is still way too high.

2010 Swampy arrivals

Jan 1,113,597

Feb 1,069,674

Mar 951,105

Apr 675,578

May 464,124

Jun 586,535

Jul 845,968

Aug 834,381

Sep 783,791

Oct 863,556

Nov 1,002,724

Dec 1,142,837

You think that accounts for the difference of 5,000,000 entries? The only land crossing with any number of entries would be Malaysia. Just curious what totally insignificant number of tourists you think enter through those land crossings from Laos, Cambodia and Miramar? While we are at it, let's not forget the few that enter by seaports.

Edited by morejunk

2010 Swampy arrivals

Jan 1,113,597

Feb 1,069,674

Mar 951,105

Apr 675,578

May 464,124

Jun 586,535

Jul 845,968

Aug 834,381

Sep 783,791

Oct 863,556

Nov 1,002,724

Dec 1,142,837

You think that accounts for the difference of 5,000,000 entries? The only land crossing with any number of entries would be Malaysia. Just curious what totally insignificant number of tourists you think enter through those land crossings from Laos, Cambodia and Miramar? While we are at it, let's not forget the few that enter by seaports.

Here is an example at NongKai crossing there are streams of people crossing here-out and in, An average at the Vietiene Thai consulate per day would guess at 300 + vis 0 + tourist 90-60 day. at the bridge alone Masses. a stupid guess 200 k a month. Multiply that by the number of crossing points ---TAT--my god you get your figures from each person entering, no matter what reason.

2010 Swampy arrivals

Jan 1,113,597

Feb 1,069,674

Mar 951,105

Apr 675,578

May 464,124

Jun 586,535

Jul 845,968

Aug 834,381

Sep 783,791

Oct 863,556

Nov 1,002,724

Dec 1,142,837

Truly amazing Thailand.

The ability of foreign residents to completely accept one departments figures no questions asked and reject another Departments with out giving them a second thought is truly amazing.

Th 15,300,000 were obviously wrong just do the math but what makes the 10,338,670 rite.The tourist police at swampy. Can't remember checking in with them. Now if it had been Thai immigration I could understand that all incoming passengers go through them.

2010 Swampy arrivals

Jan 1,113,597

Feb 1,069,674

Mar 951,105

Apr 675,578

May 464,124

Jun 586,535

Jul 845,968

Aug 834,381

Sep 783,791

Oct 863,556

Nov 1,002,724

Dec 1,142,837

Truly amazing Thailand.

The ability of foreign residents to completely accept one departments figures no questions asked and reject another Departments with out giving them a second thought is truly amazing.

Th 15,300,000 were obviously wrong just do the math but what makes the 10,338,670 rite.The tourist police at swampy. Can't remember checking in with them. Now if it had been Thai immigration I could understand that all incoming passengers go through them.

I am sure that many members are most impressed with your witty comment. I was extremely tired and wrote Tourist instead of immigration. Too bad you did not put the same effort into opening one of the documents in the link as you did with your comment.. If you had, you would (might) have seen the source:Source of Data : Immigration Bureau, Police Department.Note : Primary Data Tourist Arrivals excluded Overseas Thai

Probably more reliable figures than TAT because Immigration Police are the ones that you did check in with. What is truly amazing is all of the know it all scarcastic people that are on Thai forums.