Unlocking Iphone

mike44

Also In Kad Suan Keaw, 3rd floor where all the mobile phone stalls are - look around for signs saying 'Iphone'. The stall I used was right next to a set of escalators, with a yellow sign saying 'Iphone'. Sorry I can't be more specific. Cost about 400Bt if I remember rightly. He'll put whatever firmware you want on it and a load of applications/games too if required.

Thanks for both responses. I will report back on cost of unlocking.

If possible, can you give as much detail as possible about the phone (3, 3G, 4?), OS version and things like that.

I haven't looked into it now, but a while ago there wasn't an unlock available for the newest IOS.

If possible, can you give as much detail as possible about the phone (3, 3G, 4?), OS version and things like that.

I haven't looked into it now, but a while ago there wasn't an unlock available for the newest IOS.

It's an iphone 3GS with software version 4.2.1

Jailbreak and unlock are available for all iOS running on the 3G and 3GS. I believe the unlock for the iPhone 4 is coming shortly, though the jailbreak is available already.

You can take it to MacZone in Airport Plaza outside IT City (like the poster said above), but they'll charge you 1,000 baht. I have no idea how much other places cost.

You can do it yourself for free, as long as you have a computer and connection to the internet. Just google "redmond pie," which is a tech blog that has all the information you need about how to jailbreak and unlock. How do I know? I've done it myself, quite a few times. I've lived here more than a year, and I brought my iPhone from the US. Every time Apple releases a new iOS, I wait a few weeks until the hackers release their jailbreaks/unlocks, and do it again.

Anyway, let me know if you have any questions or need more information. Good luck!

Thanks for the replies.

I got the phone unlocked at AMP mobile on the third floor of Kad Suan Kaew. Cost was 500Baht, I could also have had the phone jail breaked but I did not as they said that they could not guarantee it would not cause problems when I returned to the UK. Only issue is that the unlocking will reset if I allow the phone battery to discharge completely.

Thanks for the replies.

I got the phone unlocked at AMP mobile on the third floor of Kad Suan Kaew. Cost was 500Baht, I could also have had the phone jail breaked but I did not as they said that they could not guarantee it would not cause problems when I returned to the UK. Only issue is that the unlocking will reset if I allow the phone battery to discharge completely.

If you have any further problems with the unlock or software etc, PM me and I will give you details for a place that will re-do it for you where you don't have to worry about the battery or switching it off etc.

They only charged me 300B on Friday when i took one to be done as well.

As far as the Jailbreak goes, it would be fine when you return to the UK. It just allows you to use software and apps from suppliers other than apple, i.e. free stuff that is decent!

Hope you enjoy it now you can use it over here.

Sounds like u have a thethred jailbreak unlock for now. So if u turn phone off or drain bat u need to redo unlock / break. Soon they should have unthered break they usually do..

The op never had it jailbroken if you read the post fully. You are right in what you stated about having the updated jailbreak though. I've had to use the firmware before this latest for it to be untethered. The guy in the shop was good enough to explain the difference to me between the two options as well.