Low Cost Sim Cards On The Streets

gravion

1.sim cards are retailed at 49baht and even written on the package.

but on the street they sell it for like 20 baht. why is that? are these stuff on the street stolen cards? or like will expire after a year or something?

2. also topping up on the street... i cant read thai and i dont know what these ppl offer a bargain or not. the dealer seems to allow the customer to input their mobile number on the dealers phone to top up. do they top up just like retail?

if u top up 300 baht for ais, u get like 30 days deadline... (man so i gotta top up every 30 days if i dont use all 300 baht in a month...) im thinking of changing to dtac happy prepaid, but is same as ais right?

1. The SIMs are not stolen but rather obtained for free 2. Check with the operator on other plans that they have using True and DTAC; one time top up last for 1 year though local calls are slightly more expensive

I have been using the DTAC "SIMPLE" promotion for a year now. As you say., Everytime I top up, I get credit for one year.

Calls are indeed more expensive. But it is ideal for light usage , or you if are out of Thailand for lengthy periods.

Details of the promotion are on the DTAC website.

They are ok for short time use only. 30 - 60 - 90 days at the most. You'll have to change them later.

The best thing to do, is to go directly to AIS, True, DTAC and get a sim card and have it activated for a year or so. You will have to refill it, but you won't get that nasty SMS in Thai. that your Sim card will expire in so and so day.

I use DTAC and got mine during a promotion. But! I pay like 2B per minute rather than 1B. I don't use my phone very often, so it works great for me as I don't have to worry about it expiring. It is good for something like 1 year after I top it up.

As mentioned above, go to their desk in the mall or wherever and get this sorted out.

Not sure if still true, but when I bought a B50 SIM card (1-2Call) about 5 years ago, I later found out that it had a very high (B5/min)call rate that could not be changed to a promotional rate for 6 months. I wanted to keep it because it was coincidentally the same number that I'd had on a fax phone for 20 years in the US but it cost me far more in the long run than simply buying a B150 SIM that already had a low rate.

Most providers will make all your top-ups good for a year if you do a one-time B1000 top up.