Beginners Mobile Internet, Please

Hi all

Noob here. I'd appreciate your advice.

New into Thailand - will be here for 4-5 months, mostly in Andaman Islands (Thailand, not India!). I'm currently in Hat Yai, trying to find the best way to get set up for internet on my lappy (and avoid the 3B/min that all the internet cafes on the islands seem to charge). I see that there are similar threads out there already but (1) I'm happy to accept that I'm probably not gonna get 3G, which they all seem very interested in and (2) I'm a bit swamped in info about the various plans there are.

details:

I've got a laptop, but no tetherable phone, so I guess I'm gonna need an aircard.

As far as I can see that means one from dtac at 1790B or one from AIS for 1090B (Enjoy Edge) or 1390B ("3G 3.6Mb/s")

I will only want light usage (say 10 minutes a day , surfing and emails). I will be on the move a lot, so I guess I will go with prepaid (top up cards at 7-elen or somesuch)

Do I understand it right that the dtac happy package will let me pile a load of money onto a prepaid card in a 7-eleven while I am on the mainland and then, when on the islands, to call up an english-speaking operator to activate a 5 hour plan which will give me 5 hours worth of internet which will deduct 50B off the card; and if I use more than 5 hours up in the month, I can just phone up and they will pull another 50Bs worth off the pre-paid card for another 5 hours? Or, if I have a splurge, I could phone up and get a whole day's unlimited internet for 49B?

http://www.happy.co....6%2312296%3B=en

Presumably the money on the top-up card doesn't expire at the end of the month.

I probably wouldn't use it for phone calls, but am I right in thinking that I could use the same sim in an unlocked phone for (1) calling dtac when I want to activate a service package; (2) make ordinary international phone calls if I wanted?

If that's all correct, then this seems to meet my needs. Except for the fact that the DTAC aircard is about twice the the price of an AIS one. Is there an equivalent/similar price package (either 5-10 hours a month or say 500MB a month) from AIS? Or can I / should I get cheaper and/or unlocked aircards in Hat Yai (me hardly speaking any thai)? I'm completely bamboozled by the AIS call packages webpage, how do their low-volume internet packages work?

sorry for the dumb questions, but I would appreciate any help with this

TIA

Edited by BringMeSunshine

Based on your requirements you should just get a an EDGE-capable phone, with one SIM, a calling plan, and a per minute data plan layered on top of that. You can top up from scratch cards anywhere using the phone by sending essentially a text message. You connect the phone to your PC (cable, bluetooth) then use it as a modem. And use it for voice calls.

You can get an EDGE-capable handset for ~ 2,000 baht, new. Example: Nokia 2690

http://www.happy.co.th/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=333&Itemid=368〈=en

http://www.ais.co.th/vas/datatips/

I think the OP already has a telephone, albeit not a 'tetherable' model.

It's not necessary to stick to any branded modem.

The other question is, "Is it worth buying just an EDGE modem?". They are next to useless. I would spend the few hundred baht extra to get one capable of 3G. So you can use it at home or away.

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I do have an existing cell phone, which is unlocked (i.e. will take anyone's sim) and works in Thailand. Still, food for thought about getting a new one, all the same....

So the AIS and dtac aircards (whether 3G or edge) aren't locked to the provider's network? If I got one and stuck, say, a TrueMove sim into, say, a dtac aircard, would it work ? (subject to coverage etc). Also if I took a dtac 3G aircard to, say, Indonesia, would I be able to put in a local sim and still use it (subject to compatible frequencies, etc.)?

Actually, I already have a UK 3G aircard (dongle) with me, but it's locked to the UK "three" network and the crack I found to unlock it seems like it only works in England. So I was kind of resigned to the same thing happening if I bought another one in Thailand (i.e. I wouldn't be able to use it with other telcos' sims).

Compatability aside, they didn't seem to have any dtac 3G aircards in the dtac shop in Hat Yai. Would they even sell them in areas where they aren't running 3G ? They said that "3G is not rolled out in Thailand" when I asked about 3G. I'm not against buying a 3G card if I can use it with multiple operators and if I can get one (living in guesthouses, so couldn't get one by mail).

sorry..questions, questions

what about the airtime/useage packages? That's the bit I really can't get my head round. I stuck lomatopo's ais link though a translator, but - are the blue and green boxes the base voice packages and then the yellow box is data charges on top of that, or are all three sections just different options for data ? If anyone can give an idiots guide to what's a voice package, what's a data package and how they fit together I would be very grateful. There are no english-speakers in the stores here and my pidgen Thai is no way up to it !

thanks again..

what about the airtime/useage packages? That's the bit I really can't get my head round. I stuck lomatopo's ais link though a translator, but - are the blue and green boxes the base voice packages and then the yellow box is data charges on top of that, or are all three sections just different options for data ?

Those are all data packages (use Google Chrome translate); daily, hours, MB etc.

Here's a better link...

http://www.ais.co.th/12call/en/promotion_special.html

I was just trying to keep things simple, one device, one SIM. For example, get a One-2-Call SIM, add value to it, subscribe to a calling plan (*777, 1175, web), choose a data plan, say 20 hours/month for 100 baht/month, this can be done OTA (eg. *138*0333#), use your phone as a modem, and make/receive voice calls. Easy. But this only addresses your initial requirements, and not 3G in other countries.

What make/model is your current handset?

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I do have an existing cell phone, which is unlocked (i.e. will take anyone's sim) and works in Thailand. Still, food for thought about getting a new one, all the same....

So the AIS and dtac aircards (whether 3G or edge) aren't locked to the provider's network? If I got one and stuck, say, a TrueMove sim into, say, a dtac aircard, would it work ? (subject to coverage etc). Also if I took a dtac 3G aircard to, say, Indonesia, would I be able to put in a local sim and still use it (subject to compatible frequencies, etc.)?

Actually, I already have a UK 3G aircard (dongle) with me, but it's locked to the UK "three" network and the crack I found to unlock it seems like it only works in England. So I was kind of resigned to the same thing happening if I bought another one in Thailand (i.e. I wouldn't be able to use it with other telcos' sims).

Compatability aside, they didn't seem to have any dtac 3G aircards in the dtac shop in Hat Yai. Would they even sell them in areas where they aren't running 3G ? They said that "3G is not rolled out in Thailand" when I asked about 3G. I'm not against buying a 3G card if I can use it with multiple operators and if I can get one (living in guesthouses, so couldn't get one by mail).

sorry..questions, questions

what about the airtime/useage packages? That's the bit I really can't get my head round. I stuck lomatopo's ais link though a translator, but - are the blue and green boxes the base voice packages and then the yellow box is data charges on top of that, or are all three sections just different options for data ? If anyone can give an idiots guide to what's a voice package, what's a data package and how they fit together I would be very grateful. There are no english-speakers in the stores here and my pidgen Thai is no way up to it !

thanks again..

Which model is it?

Chances are that you've made a mistake. If it's unlocked, it will be unlocked for every compatible network. It's just a matter of entering the correct settings.

Quite sure that we can get you up and running on your existing modem.

Don't worry about the packages. You will have separate SIMs anyway. One for data and another for voice calls/SMS etc.

Just subscribe the the package that is most apt for you. Don't mess around with a 5 hour package if it won't be enough as you may not be able to add another package until the month is up.

If five hours is enough for you, then simply begin by purchasing a HAPPY Internet SIM for 69 baht. Has five hours of access included.

For voice calls, again, start with HAPPY DTAC and only if there is no coverage try One2Call.

You can use your HAPPY voice call SIM to call HAPPY if you want to add a package to your DATA SIM later on.

Don't stress about it. The most important part is to get you up and running with your existing modem. You do not need another.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

Hi

sorry - I'm saying that the modem I have IS locked to "three". It's a zte mf627 (1.2059.0.4), but I didn't get anywhere with the crack I found to unlock it (IIRC, the first step in the unlocking procedure was to install the driver/app software on my machine. It doesn't even do that basic step here in Thailand. (Way back when I first used it in the UK, I just plugged it in and it installed the drivers/apps and then dialled into the network and downloaded more up to date versions. I removed the apps and drivers from my PC when I first got to Thailand (it kept nagging me with a Windows DUN dialog box all the time). Now when I plug it in, it just flashes red a few times and goes blue and stays there. Windows assigns a drive letter to it as a removeable disc , but says "please insert disc" if you click on it. I'm open to suggestions, but not hopeful on that.

Cellphone is an old samsung SGH-S300. Road to nowhere, there methinks!

http://www.esato.com/phones/Samsung-SGH-S300-83

cheers

Hi

sorry - I'm saying that the modem I have IS locked to "three". It's a zte mf627 (1.2059.0.4), but I didn't get anywhere with the crack I found to unlock it (IIRC, the first step in the unlocking procedure was to install the driver/app software on my machine. It doesn't even do that basic step here in Thailand. (Way back when I first used it in the UK, I just plugged it in and it installed the drivers/apps and then dialled into the network and downloaded more up to date versions. I removed the apps and drivers from my PC when I first got to Thailand (it kept nagging me with a Windows DUN dialog box all the time). Now when I plug it in, it just flashes red a few times and goes blue and stays there. Windows assigns a drive letter to it as a removeable disc , but says "please insert disc" if you click on it. I'm open to suggestions, but not hopeful on that.

Cellphone is an old samsung SGH-S300. Road to nowhere, there methinks!

http://www.esato.com/phones/Samsung-SGH-S300-83

cheers

I'm guessing that crack was to change the firmware.

You can still do it. Just go to an Internet cafe with Windows XP on their machines, who will allow you to install your ZTE MF627.

Then you can install the new firmware to it. Installing the firmware takes about twenty minutes(you don't have to do anything during this time). So thirty minutes at the Internet cafe should cover it.

Everything that you need is here

Just download and save it on to the PC on which you have installed the modem. Extract the folder within by right-clicking on the downloaded file and choosing 'Extract Here'.

Inside the folder are instructions on how to install the new firmware.

It's actually very simple. It installs open ZTE MF626 firmware to your modem.

Once complete, you can use any SIM. You'll just need to enter the relevant connection details and save them as a new profile on the newly installed Globe software.

If you get stuck, drop me a line. I can try to be online when you are going to attempt it.

Hi thanks for the advice. Actually that crack was one of the ones I already tried on my (XP SP3) computer, but I didn't get past the

'Make sure no simcard is inserted in the dongle.. .....If not already done so allow modem to install drivers.step... as it wouldn't install the drivers. I assumed that this was perhaps because I was in Thailand when I did it (and perhaps the modem wanted to talk to a UK phone network before it could get/validate the drivers). I'll give it another shot tonight just incase.

Maybe if it still doesn't work I'll try installing the drivers WITH the UK (three) SIM in the modem and/or, as you suggest, try doing it all on another machine.

I was assuming all those success stories took place in the UK and that you had to be in the UK (and within range of a UK mobile network) for it to work, but I'll give it another poke early-evening today. If I don't get anywhere I'll try and find a net-cafe with write-access to the machine and will let you know how I'm getting on around, say, 7pm tonight....

cheers everso...

Hi thanks for the advice. Actually that crack was one of the ones I already tried on my (XP SP3) computer, but I didn't get past the

'Make sure no simcard is inserted in the dongle.. .....If not already done so allow modem to install drivers.step... as it wouldn't install the drivers. I assumed that this was perhaps because I was in Thailand when I did it (and perhaps the modem wanted to talk to a UK phone network before it could get/validate the drivers). I'll give it another shot tonight just incase.

Maybe if it still doesn't work I'll try installing the drivers WITH the UK (three) SIM in the modem and/or, as you suggest, try doing it all on another machine.

I was assuming all those success stories took place in the UK and that you had to be in the UK (and within range of a UK mobile network) for it to work, but I'll give it another poke early-evening today. If I don't get anywhere I'll try and find a net-cafe with write-access to the machine and will let you know how I'm getting on around, say, 7pm tonight....

cheers everso...

Ermm.... :) The most important part is to do it on another machine. The problem is likely with your machine and not with the modem.

Once it's all done, it should work with your machine again. If not, we'll uninstall your USB controllers and then reinstall them.

You can try using a different USB port than the one you tried before, but overall, it's just better if you follow my instructions and use another XP machine.

So...on to that Internet cafe.

Just follow the simple instructions. No need to put the '3' SIM card in.

You can leave it in if you wish whilst the drivers are installed, but then you will need to remove it, remove the SIM and then replace the modem.

This solution contains the Telstra M02 firmware and connection manager.

There is also the option of installing the Globe firmware and connection manager.

Instructions here

Perhaps stick with Telstra if you will upgrade to Windows 7, as they have Windows 7 drivers available on their website.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

I tried it again (on my machine, before I saw your reply). As far as the drivers are concerned, it was just that it wasn't running the autorun and I was looking in the wrong folder for the executable (it maps two drives when you plug it in and I was looking in the wrong one!)

So I have now installed the drivers and run the reflash. I got a BSOD and autorestart about the time it hit 100%, so I may or may not have broken it!

I just stuck an (creditless) truemove SIM in it and it has a green light at least ! I will go out and forage foe a DTAC sim now.....

are these the right settings for DTAC ? GPRS APN: - www.dtac.co.th ; Username: - {blank} ; Password: - {blank} ; DNS: - 203.155.33.1, 203.44.144.33

I tried it again (on my machine, before I saw your reply). As far as the drivers are concerned, it was just that it wasn't running the autorun and I was looking in the wrong folder for the executable (it maps two drives when you plug it in and I was looking in the wrong one!)

So I have now installed the drivers and run the reflash. I got a BSOD and autorestart about the time it hit 100%, so I may or may not have broken it!

I just stuck an (creditless) truemove SIM in it and it has a green light at least ! I will go out and forage foe a DTAC sim now.....

are these the right settings for DTAC ? GPRS APN: - www.dtac.co.th ; Username: - {blank} ; Password: - {blank} ; DNS: - 203.155.33.1, 203.44.144.33

If when you reinsert it the Telstra/Globe connection manager runs, it should be working.

You don't need the DNS settings. Just set it to automatic. The phone number is more important; *99#

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

BMS to Tower, BMS to Tower, we have lift-off :)

(was struggling for a bit there, thanks for the phone number, that did it :) )

I'll have a bit of a play on it now. (I'm a little bit worried about your suggestion that if I buy a 5 hour package then I might not be able to buy a second one later that month, but I'm just going to have a slosh around on the net for a wee while before getting too bogged down in that).

thanks everso much

beers owed :)

BMS to Tower, BMS to Tower, we have lift-off :)

(was struggling for a bit there, thanks for the phone number, that did it :) )

I'll have a bit of a play on it now. (I'm a little bit worried about your suggestion that if I buy a 5 hour package then I might not be able to buy a second one later that month, but I'm just going to have a slosh around on the net for a wee while before getting too bogged down in that).

thanks everso much

beers owed :)

Even if you overrun, I'm sure you can stretch to having a HAPPY Intenet SIM on standby at a mere 69 baht. After all, you've saved spending much more than that. :)

Good thinking, batman. Having a spare sim up my sleeve is a good idea, indeed.

Fancy a crack at this one? Apparently there is a happy internet portal here that lets you do all sorts of good stuff like "check your account balance and Happy internet usage, top up your Happy account using a refill card, and subscribe to Happy internet packages". Trouble is - it autoforwards to what appears to be a terms-and-conditions page in Thai which doesn't seem to have any option to 'accept' those terms and conditions. The only clickable links on that page just cycle back to the same page. Is it just me ?

How do you get into the portal? (I can see it flash-by for a nano second) - just can't get to click on it!

Translated terms and conditions page:

User agrees to be bound by. Terms and Conditions of Use Happy internet web services Fury Master of Public Action set a Communication Nation. (Service providers) as follows.

1. The use of mobile phone prepaid in 1800 only SIM types (1) Sim Happy Internet (2) Sim Happy Internet sales coupled with dtac aircard and (3) Happy internet micro SIM to Happy List. new and existing. Service is available through Happy Internet Web Services Network EDGE / GPRS with a number of DTAC's mobile subscribers. The rate charged by the current package of Happy Internet users.

2. Users can use the following.

2.1 For the balance.

2.2 For the package, and the remaining balance Happy internet.

2.3 for details of Service Happy internet.

2.4 Refill with prepaid cards.

Added 2.5 hours Happy internet Dua added card service.

2.6 packages Happy internet.

Terms of Use each item is available in the specific product details in the site.

<snip>

8. The right of service providers.

The Happy internet web services provider or any other advertising. Caused by service And software that are used to connect the device and service all kinds of treats. Is the copyrights. And are protected under intellectual property law with the Copyright Act. Trademark Act. Service marks. Patent Act. Criminal Code And other relevant laws. And treated as confidential. Service providers. No subscribers. Action to alter or modify the repeat sale, rent, lease, or offering to act on any information or software device that's either in whole or in part. </span>And can not be transferred to serve others. Without permission from the provider. If the violation will be punished under that law. And users can not access the services of Happy internet web services provided by channels other than the specified provider.

9. Any notice. To the user. Service providers will send a letter by email or telephone. The address where the service request with service providers through the use of this service Happy internet web services.

</span>

Register here

Sign in here

Thanks - they should be paying you !

I don't see the promised option to top-up direct from a credit card, but I will get a prepay-top-up card when I get a chance and see if I can buy the 5 hour plan offa that...

For now, apparently I have 543 internet minutes left out of my free 180 minutes that came with the SIM. Now them's numbers I like :)

I probably wont bother with the other portal now (my url came from the little pamphlet that came with the SIM card). It still behaves the same despite the fact I have registered on the other one. Maybe it's the 3rd party modem that's causing it ?

cheers

I bought one of these in Chaing Mai for under 2000 baht, I believe, and it's worked for me in Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia, and any other place that has a prepaid GPRS or 3G (excepting CDMA) network. Huawei E1552: http://www.3gmodem.c...awei/E1552.html

3890931132_7d51942a4a.jpg

Works on Mac, Windows, and even Linux with a little tinkering.

Edited by nomadic

. Will add time at the rate of 4 minutes to the baht.

... that's internet/surfing minutes, rather than local voice-call minutes, right ?

I have now gone out and bought some credit....

(1) 'online' in a 7-11 (i.e. I keyed my phone number in to the station at the checkout and handed over the cash), this is now showing as x Baht in my account.

What do I have to do to turn it into 'internet' credit (rather than ordinary phone call credit)?, and particularly, into an internet *package* (/plan), rather than just generic internet-minutes?

Someone suggested dialling *1004 on a phone to do this, but we were having language difficulties at the time, so I'm not sure I understood correctly.

(2) I also bought a couple of cardboard top-up cards (with serial numbers on the back). There is a section on the portal that will let you use these to top-up VAS (presumably Value-Added Services, internet and messaging etc).

Again - if I use this method, how do I turn that into internet *packages* (like the 5 hours per month for 50 Baht) rather than just vanilla internet-minutes.

Also, I read on a dtac webpage that these cards expire pretty dam_n quick (like within a few days) if you don't use them to top-up your account soon enough. Is that right? You can't just keep them in your wallet until you need them (like when you are on a tiny island with no 7-11s or suchlike). The cards themselves are printed with expiry dates a few months away, but is there more urgency than that? I read on a different dtac page that the card validity was "107 (from 7)" days, whatever that means. I don't want my money to evaporate, just coz I left it too long to transfer it to my phone account. (FWIW, the credit that I have already put _directly_ onto the phone (via the 7-11 terminal) seems to have a shelf-life of about 10 weeks).

------

In a dtac shop they were pushing a 20 hours a month for 99Baht service [which looks good to me], but looking at the website, it looks like there might be a minimum term of 12 months. Whaddaya reckon? :

Service Fee

Monthly - Monthly fee and automatic monthly renewal. Enjoy this privilege for 12 months

Package Service fee/Month

20 Hours 99B

--------------------------------------------------

Finally, if I _do_ manage to sign-up for either the 5hrs/month for 50B or the [hopefully not annual] 20hrs/month package for 99B, does this ...

Subscribers registering for any SMS, MMS and Happy internet VAS package (either daily package, free packages, monthly packages or bulk packages with expiry date) can subscribe to only one package in each type. If subscribers desires to switch to another package, their existing ones must be canceled first

...mean that I will have to zap my freebie minutes that came with the sim-card?

...told you I was confused by the packages!

Sorry for all the questions - I just don't want to do anything that will later preclude me from the service/package that I actually want, or cause me to waste/expire the credit that I already have.

thanks for your patience

cheers

. Will add time at the rate of 4 minutes to the baht.

... that's internet/surfing minutes, rather than local voice-call minutes, right ?

I have now gone out and bought some credit....

(1) 'online' in a 7-11 (i.e. I keyed my phone number in to the station at the checkout and handed over the cash), this is now showing as x Baht in my account.

What do I have to do to turn it into 'internet' credit (rather than ordinary phone call credit)?, and particularly, into an internet *package* (/plan), rather than just generic internet-minutes?

Someone suggested dialling *1004 on a phone to do this, but we were having language difficulties at the time, so I'm not sure I understood correctly.

(2) I also bought a couple of cardboard top-up cards (with serial numbers on the back). There is a section on the portal that will let you use these to top-up VAS (presumably Value-Added Services, internet and messaging etc).

Again - if I use this method, how do I turn that into internet *packages* (like the 5 hours per month for 50 Baht) rather than just vanilla internet-minutes.

Also, I read on a dtac webpage that these cards expire pretty dam_n quick (like within a few days) if you don't use them to top-up your account soon enough. Is that right? You can't just keep them in your wallet until you need them (like when you are on a tiny island with no 7-11s or suchlike). The cards themselves are printed with expiry dates a few months away, but is there more urgency than that? I read on a different dtac page that the card validity was "107 (from 7)" days, whatever that means. I don't want my money to evaporate, just coz I left it too long to transfer it to my phone account. (FWIW, the credit that I have already put _directly_ onto the phone (via the 7-11 terminal) seems to have a shelf-life of about 10 weeks).

------

In a dtac shop they were pushing a 20 hours a month for 99Baht service [which looks good to me], but looking at the website, it looks like there might be a minimum term of 12 months. Whaddaya reckon? :

Service Fee

Monthly - Monthly fee and automatic monthly renewal. Enjoy this privilege for 12 months

Package Service fee/Month

20 Hours 99B

--------------------------------------------------

Finally, if I _do_ manage to sign-up for either the 5hrs/month for 50B or the [hopefully not annual] 20hrs/month package for 99B, does this ...

Subscribers registering for any SMS, MMS and Happy internet VAS package (either daily package, free packages, monthly packages or bulk packages with expiry date) can subscribe to only one package in each type. If subscribers desires to switch to another package, their existing ones must be canceled first

...mean that I will have to zap my freebie minutes that came with the sim-card?

...told you I was confused by the packages!

Sorry for all the questions - I just don't want to do anything that will later preclude me from the service/package that I actually want, or cause me to waste/expire the credit that I already have.

thanks for your patience

cheers

Depends on what SIM you are using. Haven't used the Internet SIM, so can't advise on how the credit is distributed.

When I have a bit more time I'll try to answer all of your questions. :)

Will also translate the Internet SIM portal when I have time. You can use it for the function prescribed, but you have to hit the ESC button as soon as your telephone number is loaded on the right of the page.

Then you can choose from the options on the left. Again, hit ESC as soon as the number is loaded. Then you can carry out the function each link allows. You can take you laptop to the shop and ask them what which links allows you to do. I'll check for myself later.

Subscription details: here

The cards have expiry dates on them. Likely to expire in months rather than days.

The 99 baht will be taken from your phone every month as long as you have credit. It's Prepay remember? So if you decided that you wanted to stop, you can either call to cancel or abandon the SIM.

Stop worrying. You are making it waaaayy to complicated.

Subscribe to the 20 hour package and leave it at that. Then there will be no need to call or subscribe online again. You can add credit to the SIM via your existing online portal. Make sure that you don't have any other Internet packages on, otherwise you will have to wait until that period is up.

You are making it waaaayy to complicated.

Yeah, I do that, sorry. :)

FWIW and for the benefit of anyone who might be looking at this thread in the future, I looked into these questions with someone that the shop found on the end of a telephone. This is what they reckon.

The monthly packages aren't on a 12 month contract (i.e. you're not obliged to take 12 x 1 month's worth), but they will auto-renew each month and deduct next month's charges from your sim (if it has enough credit on it). If it doesn't have enough credit on it, they will remember that you owe them the money and if you put credit on it in the future, it will nab your debts off it. They reckon you can stop the subscription to the monthly recurring-ness, but weren't entirely sure how. Probably they can do it if you just call up the service centre and ask them to.

The telephone line to activate packages (*1004) is in Thai language only, but they think that you can activate packages online.

They burn up free minutes before monthly package minutes, so in my case, it is probably better to put-off starting the packages until I have burned up most of my free minutes (as I would be starting the clock on the first month earlier than I needed to and would probably never use the first month's worth of minutes before they expire).

I forgot to ask about how to turn vanilla (phone minutes) into non-package data minutes. Looks like I will be more than catered-for by the packages anyway.

The expiry dates printed on the cards are the only ones that apply.

I haven't tried to activate anything online yet (coz of my point about free minutes, above), but I think that it's under one of the menu options where they want to text you a temporary password before you can do anything. My telstra dialler jigger turns texts into strings of questionmarks, so you (I) will either have to login via an internet café to use the portal (and have the SIM in a mobile phone to receive the text) or find a friend with a DTAC sim that DTAC can text the password to (or buy a second dtac sim to put in the phone for the purposes of receiving the text, but of course activating that SIM that will start the clock on expiring another bunch of minutes that will probably get wasted!). There are bigger problems in the word, eh?

FWIW, I had a go at translating the options on the old portal (the menu items are in some kind of locked frame, so you can't copy-paste them and some of the vowels are too small to read, so I made some best-guesses at what they said when I rekeyed them. Results reproduced here……

หนําแรก

เชกยอดเงิน และ แพิกเกจ

รายละเอียดการใช้งน

เติม เงิน หรือ เติม ชั้วโมง

แพ็กเกจ

ศมัคร

ยกเลิก

----------------------

google translation:

Used for the first

Such as account balance and แpoi package.

Details as accesses.

Recharge or top up hours.

Package.

Fri volunteer.

Cancel

-----------------------

That's more than enough, now. Isn't it ?

Cheers

One more: here's the skinny on the two portals :

the weird 'auto-forwarding to terms and conditions portal' (here) is the one that you use to select a data package.

After a few days it just stopped auto-forwarding to the static list of terms and conditions and let me get at the menu options. I'm not sure why. Maybe it just takes a few days for the sales info to spread through their systems. This portal doesn't have a login - it reads your phone number from your sim, so you can only use it when you are connected to the internet using your happy sim.

The second to last of the menu options ("Fri Volunteer", above) (hover your mouse over it and it previews the url as http://eservice.dtac...rnetSIM/BPM.jsp), gives the options you want to select your data package, which are currently:

Monthly package. Charged according to usage.

- 5 hours 50 baht within 30 days.

- 20 hours 99 Baht

- Price: 199 U.S. [sic] 50 hour Apply enhanced to 100 hours of free usage.

- Unlimited Price 790 Baht

Monthly package. Charged according to usage.

- 30 MB Price: 99 Baht

- 150 MB Price: 250 Baht

- 3 GB Price: 650 Baht

..and some terms and conditions stuff.

These are all in Thai on the portal. The top level menu is locked and you can't copy-paste it into a translation engine. The second level menu (above), you _can_ cut and paste.

-------------------------

The shiny new portal (here) doesn't seem to deal much with data packages. It does have a bolt-on button that you can use to check your data 'balance', but its option to 'change your package/Promotion' is strictly for voice services.

The options (all in English) under 'Change your package" are currently :

- Simple SIM (2B/min)

- Happy Buffet free calls within dtac network (5am-5pm), 1.25B/min other times

- Happy Buffet free calls within dtac network (10pm-11am), 1.25B/min other times

- Happy call all networks 1.25B/min 24hrs

- Hong Kra Pan SIM, call all networks 0.99B/min & SMS 0.99B/message (VAT excluded)

- Happy call within dtac network 25 Stang/min (2B on first minute( and other network 1.25 B/min.

So, no good for picking a data package, but this portal does have useful other options like the 'emergency refill [credit] service.

You have to register to use this portal. They will text you a password (so you need to have your SIM card in a device that can receive a text, or you can choose to have the text sent to another dtac phone). Once you are in you can change your login password to one of your choosing (4 digits).

To choose any of the menu options that affect your service (changing billing plans, service packages, etc) you will have to have a session-password texted to you. You can log into this portal from a network other than your SIM card (i.e. you can use an internet cafe or suchlike).