New Night Bazaar - Siam Paradise @ Sukhumvit 68

wimster

Went there few times in last week with overseas relatives. it seems to want to replace the Suanlum Night Bazaar. Soft opening with maybe 50 shops open with space for 1,000 more (already built) and a beer garden with stage (how original!) next to Sukhumvit.

Be careful for a seller in the second soi selling amongst others framed insects. He has a tricky dual price policy. Was not at his store when we arrived. We agreed with his (Cambodian?) shopkeeper to a price, then he appeared and started saying it was much more expensive. The shopkeeper had a list she used with prices. He then wanted 50% more for the same item. My wife, Thai, thought it was a scam. We walked away calling him a cheater and he scolded us, follow us etc. I was a hair away from calling the cops but did not want to put in more time. Just be careful.

Otherwise, nice place and worth a visit. Make sure you speak good Thai to negotiate or bring a Thai to do that.

My wife, Thai, thought it was a scam

Sounds more like an honest mistake by his staff.

Thaivisa ... the most argumentative site in the World?

'My wife thought it was a scam'

''Sounds like an honest mistake to me'

'Are you calling my wife a liar??'

'Well I bet she dosn't have a degree in rocket science like my Hi-So wife'

'My wife has two degrees and an MSc and loads of land .... so there'

'Bet she can't even pronounce tilac!'

'She can too .... and she's got white skin and never asked me for anything, ever, so up yours with knobs on .... '

'Red shirt!'

'Yellow shirt!'

..... and on and on ....

By the way ..... thanks for the info on the market .... I miss the Night Bazaar

'She can too .... and she's got white skin and never asked me for anything, ever, so up yours with knobs on .... '

'Red shirt!'

'Yellow shirt!'

..... and on and on ....

Very funny put a smile on my face and spot on............no it's not

Thanks guys. If you read my post again you will see that the shopkeeper made a mistake looking at a piece of paper for prices (with 3 prices for each item. 1. what they paid, 2. Thai price 3. Farang price) and only changed her mind when the owner arrived who clearly wanted her to charge us the farang price.

Real or not is not the point, my 17 yr old nephew thought it was cool and they look very real... Scam is the (dual) pricing.

@familyonthemove, sure buddy but I don't think I know you or you know me do you? My wife actually holds more degrees than me. 2 university ones and a college. Do you or your bargirl got any? ;-)

@sms747. Sort of correct, it's actually between Soi 66 and 64/1 and right opposite 101/1. Mea Culpa.

'Red shirt!'

'Yellow shirt!'

..... and on and on ....

If you read my post again you will see that the shopkeeper made a mistake looking at a piece of paper for prices (with 3 prices for each item. 1. what they paid, 2. Thai price 3. Farang price) and only changed her mind when the owner arrived who clearly wanted her to charge us the farang price.

You didn't mention any of those details in your original post, you only said "The shopkeeper had a list she used with prices", which doesn't say anything about 3 prices for each item, farang prices, etc. If that's the case though then, yes, unfortunately it looks like the shopkeeper's operating dual pricing - thanks for the warning!

I live near the place. Not sure how well it will work. Traffic is bad in the evening. No BTS yet. Nearest one is OnNut. So far, very few shops with always the same stuff.

Anyway, if tourists can come, it might work.

Yeah I live right across the road, hopefully no-one will come so I can always get the best table :)

Where exactly is this place. Is it in Soi 62 or on Sukhumvit itself.

Planning to visit this weekend.

Thanks.

Coming from downtown it is just before Sukhumvit 101/1 on the opposite side.

If you come from far away, maybe you should postpone a bit. It is now very much empty. Maybe 50 stalls or so.... I believe that it will fill up slowly during this month...