Subic Bay Philippines

craighj

I went to Subic Bay with a local driver, looking for a resort to stay but left the same day back to Manila, far most depressing beaches and resorts ever seen :bah: Really disgusting there, no sand beaches but brown gravel. Terribly overpriced bamboo huts (starting 1.600p per night) too crappy and filthy I won't allow my dog stay in it.

Craig

Stay in the Baloy Beach area, there are some decent bars and places to eat there.

There are several hotels in the area both on the beach road and on the main road, this is not like Pattaya, the hotels may seem expensive and the rooms run down by comparison, you need to look around to find one that suits you.

Examples are Wild Orchid or Blue Rock or Harleys or Sheavens or Kokomos or Treasure Island.

Bear in mind that the hotels get very busy at weekends when people drive up from Manila.

Nightlife is good along the main road where quite a few new bars have been built recently.

Use Google for further info.

Dave..

Edited by davee58

Craig

Stay in the Baloy Beach area, there are some decent bars and places to eat there.

There are several hotels in the area both on the beach road and on the main road, this is not like Pattaya, the hotels may seem expensive and the rooms run down by comparison, you need to look around to find one that suits you.

Examples are Wild Orchid or Blue Rock or Harleys or Sheavens or Kokomos or Treasure Island.

Bear in mind that the hotels get very busy at weekends when people drive up from Manila.

Nightlife is good along the main road where quite a few new bars have been built recently.

Use Google for further info.

Dave..

Thanks for the reply.

A few years ago I stayed at the Blue Rock, not a bad location.

However you are right a little tired compared to hotels in Manila or AC.

The Wild Orchid looks OK, although it is almost brand new.

Thanks for the advice Baloy Beach does look like the right location.

Craig

I went to Subic Bay with a local driver, looking for a resort to stay but left the same day back to Manila, far most depressing beaches and resorts ever seen :bah: Really disgusting there, no sand beaches but brown gravel. Terribly overpriced bamboo huts (starting 1.600p per night) too crappy and filthy I won't allow my dog stay in it.

Bangkokcitylimits, a little dramatic and over the top. I stayed at Blue Rock last year and yes, the beach is not so nice, sand is sort of a cross between brown dirt and sand. Room definitely run down for the price, but "won't allow my dog to stay in it"(?), are you Paris Hilton with her diamond necklaced chihuahua? C'mon!

The floating bar is fun for a night or two, and the bars are up on the main road, selection of girls not as good as AC.

Subic is for wreck diving, so if you are not into diving probably not worthwhile. I stayed at Blue Rock last year, this year will stay at Sheavens, looks like the rooms are a little newer.

Edited by grumpyoldman

Bangkokcitylimits, a little dramatic and over the top. I stayed at Blue Rock last year and yes, the beach is not so nice, sand is sort of a cross between brown dirt and sand. Room definitely run down for the price, but "won't allow my dog to stay in it"(?), are you Paris Hilton with her diamond necklaced chihuahua? C'mon!

The floating bar is fun for a night or two, and the bars are up on the main road, selection of girls not as good as AC.

Subic is for wreck diving, so if you are not into diving probably not worthwhile. I stayed at Blue Rock last year, this year will stay at Sheavens, looks like the rooms are a little newer.

It was my experience, nothing over the top. There might areas I have missed, I've seen around 10km coastline only. Abandoned looking 'resorts' without guests, that poor beach.... Really I haven't seen anything that brightened my view. I also experienced very negative vibes in that area (leftovers from the war time? ) And the extreme poverty along the road that brought me there... Told the friend/driver 'please bring me back to Makati, I don't like it here at all.'

I have doubts about Philippines, too many inconveniences for me. It's one of the countries that makes me remember why I like Thailand.

But I like the people a lot, more then here. My gf is a Filipina and she's a treasure... :-)

It was my experience, nothing over the top. There might areas I have missed, I've seen around 10km coastline only. Abandoned looking 'resorts' without guests, that poor beach.... Really I haven't seen anything that brightened my view. I also experienced very negative vibes in that area (leftovers from the war time? ) And the extreme poverty along the road that brought me there... Told the friend/driver 'please bring me back to Makati, I don't like it here at all.'

I have doubts about Philippines, too many inconveniences for me. It's one of the countries that makes me remember why I like Thailand.

But I like the people a lot, more then here. My gf is a Filipina and she's a treasure... :-)

Certainly Subic is not like Phuket or Pattay, however it OK for a change. As I said I was there only once before and to me it is typical of a lot of places in PI.

Yes a lot of places are a little warn around the edges and I agree that PI appears to have more poverty than Thailand.

Though, as you said the people are generally pretty decent.

I love Thailand, but I also like to ocasionally get over to PI.

Craig

ordid you mean bimbo huts?

Completely agree...and is that pathetic monkey still housed in that tiny cage at the Blue Rock Resort!!! Animal cruelty at its worst...for that reason alone, I would never stay there. Baloy "Beach" is hardly that...dirty coarse sand and not much of it and filthy water worse than Pattaya's.

Hotels are mostly dumps left over from the old base days and a room that would cost you B500 in Pattaya would set you back B1500-2000 in Subic. The diving is okay if you are wreck trained but the visibility is generally crap...maybe 2-5 meters.

Like much of the Philippines, Subic is a dump, the food is crap, and the infrastructure and personal security is almost non-existent. Other than that, the country is great :lol:

Edited by FarangBuddha

Completely agree...and is that pathetic monkey still housed in that tiny cage at the Blue Rock Resort!!! Animal cruelty at its worst...for that reason alone, I would never stay there. Baloy "Beach" is hardly that...dirty coarse sand and not much of it and filthy water worse than Pattaya's.

Did not see a monkey in a cage at Blue Rock, I for sure would have said something to the owners if I had.

bangkokcitylimits, good for you! She looks cute.

Overall Subic is not a beach destination, as far as food goes, some good Expat restaurants in AC, The Cajun place is excellent, Zapatos has some good Mexican, but Filipino food itself, I'll agree with you guys, other than barbecue, pretty terrible.

Did not see a monkey in a cage at Blue Rock, I for sure would have said something to the owners if I had.

bangkokcitylimits, good for you! She looks cute.

Overall Subic is not a beach destination, as far as food goes, some good Expat restaurants in AC, The Cajun place is excellent, Zapatos has some good Mexican, but Filipino food itself, I'll agree with you guys, other than barbecue, pretty terrible.

Gee, is that porr monkey still at the Blue Rock.

It was there when I was there 5 years ago!

I'm told that some better / newer hotels have opened in Subic, such as the Wild Orchid.

Anyway, no doubt PI has some issues and is not Thailand.

However that's why I go there.

Life would be pretty boaring if every plac was the same.

At least the girls a cute in PI :whistling:

Craighj