Tripod

MJP

A photographer friend in the UK says the most important instrument in photography and the first thing to consider is the tripod.

He says 3 leg sections is the best.

So, any recommends on a sturdy tripod/head for LX5/GF1 use?

I've been looking at the Benro Combo range. Specifically the A-250 EX with BH00 ball head. It's a reasonable price at 2700 Baht.

benro-a250ex.gif

My wife uses a Manfrotto 785b with her EP1. Extremely light, although personally I would prefer something a little more substantial. The Gorillapod is good for emergency use, although I have found replicas in the local shops for 400 baht and they seem to be just as efficient as the original which is three times the price.

I've got a wide variety of tripods back in Canada, including a big professional one that I hardly ever use. It's just too big and heavy to carry. I do like the Gorilla tripod idea for unlevel ground. But, packing a tripod from Canada to Thailand each year is a pain, so I recently bought a light but decent tripod in Maisai on a visa run. It cost me 400 baht and I probably could have dickered it down cheaper, but I always feel the shop owners need to make some profit. The same tripod in Chiang Mai is 700 baht. It seems adequate for the job of holding my Nikon SLR and it IS light enough to carry.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been very impressed with the level of Service that Slik has provided to us here in Thailand, that speaks volumes in my book and we are very happy with our Slik carbon fibre job. I just wanted to let you know MJP, because if you broke something (which is something Im prone in doing) they are excellent to deal with. thumbsup.gif

I've been very impressed with the level of Service that Slik has provided to us here in Thailand, that speaks volumes in my book and we are very happy with our Slik carbon fibre job. I just wanted to let you know MJP, because if you broke something (which is something Im prone in doing) they are excellent to deal with. thumbsup.gif

Hello mush. I was looking at either a Slik or a Benro.

Tripod is only important if you take shots that require it. (i.e. long exposure landscapes, night shots, some types of portraiture.) As I mentioned in another thread, the Benro's are great value. Gitzo knock-offs at a fraction of the price. My big tripod is a Gitzo but I've bought a couple of Benro sets recently for certain projects and have to report that they are great. I pay the premium for the carbon fiber stuff. Can't go wrong.

Tripod is only important if you take shots that require it. (i.e. long exposure landscapes, night shots, some types of portraiture.) As I mentioned in another thread, the Benro's are great value. Gitzo knock-offs at a fraction of the price. My big tripod is a Gitzo but I've bought a couple of Benro sets recently for certain projects and have to report that they are great. I pay the premium for the carbon fiber stuff. Can't go wrong.

Was looking at a Benro Travel Angel. It's only for my LX5. Have been meaning to get a GF1 but still on a recession footing.

Was looking at a Benro Travel Angel.

Does she require a 'sin sot' investment? laugh.gifcheesy.gif RUN DUDE RUN! wink.gif

She's got a third leg you can remove. Turns into a monopod.

w00t.gif Ohhh one of those third gender tripods is it ? Theres no doubt about you old chap, your certainly covering some territory here in LOS laugh.gif

Was looking at a Benro Travel Angel.

Does she require a 'sin sot' investment? laugh.gifcheesy.gif RUN DUDE RUN! wink.gif

She's got a third leg you can remove. Turns into a monopod.

w00t.gif Ohhh one of those third gender tripods is it ? Theres no doubt about you old chap, your certainly covering some territory here in LOS laugh.gif

I need something to substitute for my inability to achieve, let alone maintain, an erection. Frankly it's completely ridiculous I live here in what arguably takes the title of the worlds brothel, so for the past 18 months I've had to find interests other than my wiener which sadly no longer works, not that it was ever that effective to be honest.

A man's got to know his limitations.

Clint_Eastwood_Pointing_6772.jpg?adImageId=11295977&imageId=3850805

I bought that LX5, was going for a GF1 but the garden needed attention and a few DIY bits 'n pieces took my mind off spending tragic sums of money. Just where does the time go, I had no idea it was January already. I shall stretch to a tripod as I shake uncontrollably when trying to focus on flowers (prematurely geriatric, horticulture has become a passion - when I can be bothered to sharpen the shears, the hose being dry).

As long as you enjoy what you are doing M.

It is impossible for words to describe . . . what is necessary . . . to those who do not know . . . what impotence means. Impotence. Impotence has a face and you must make a friend of impotence. Impotence and erectile dysfunction are you friends. If they are not then they are mild medical conditions to be feared. They are truly conditions.

kurtz_profile11.jpg

• 1 year later...

Good to hear that SLIK is easy to deal with, in case anything goes wrong.

Just bought a SLIK 500 DX. Got it, with bag, for 3000 baht. It will see limited use, so I did't see spending too much.

But, while there, the salesman demo'd a Slik carbon model. He extended the legs, stooped beneath it and proceded to suspend himself from the head. It was quite an impressive demonstration of the strength of carbon fibre!

Edited by Curt1591

Never bought anything but Manfrotto, so I know very little about the other brands. But I would like to say that your tripod is definitely not the most important instrument in photography and the first thing to consider. How stupid is that statement? Do you need a good tripod for top quality work? Yes usually, unless you need to be mobile. But there are plenty of tripods that can do the job so just buy a good one.

I would say the main consideration is camera type and after that lenses and after that specific camera models. Tripod is down there with camera bag.

Never bought anything but Manfrotto, so I know very little about the other brands. But I would like to say that your tripod is definitely not the most important instrument in photography and the first thing to consider. How stupid is that statement? Do you need a good tripod for top quality work? Yes usually, unless you need to be mobile. But there are plenty of tripods that can do the job so just buy a good one.

I would say the main consideration is camera type and after that lenses and after that specific camera models. Tripod is down there with camera bag.

It's just what a professional photographer friend said to me once upon a time. I didn't really understand it either, but according to him photography started with quality tripods. Beyond that, dunno?

I hope I didn't come across as too harsh there. A tripod is often important, but not more so then camera and lens.

Back in 99 when we were shooting with a three shot Dicomed back (a red, green, and blue shot that was put together in the software) Any slight movement would put an image out of register. And I am talking slight, even a truck driving by on the street could give enough vibration to spoil a shot. We custom made a hanging tripod and we shot everything upside down on a rail. That tripod was important to us, but still the camera, and lenses were more critical. As were our lights.

I hope I didn't come across as too harsh there. A tripod is often important, but not more so then camera and lens.

Back in 99 when we were shooting with a three shot Dicomed back (a red, green, and blue shot that was put together in the software) Any slight movement would put an image out of register. And I am talking slight, even a truck driving by on the street could give enough vibration to spoil a shot. We custom made a hanging tripod and we shot everything upside down on a rail. That tripod was important to us, but still the camera, and lenses were more critical. As were our lights.

No, I think you're quite right. I guess he was implying the importance of a tripod to good photography. Beginners never think about it, I know I didn't.

Anyway, picked up a Fancier 3-section for $70 in Phnom Penh in March 2011. It's okay and is generally only used for work now, as all my equipment is. Looking at the Giottos stuff now . . .

4018328013_1f2fea4baf.jpg

Edited by MJP