Hau Hinn To Phuket, How Many Hours Drive ?

dmax

i will be in bkk in march but i have a friend coming to phuket for 2 weeks, so i want to get down there and spend some time with him , anyway i will leave pattaya or bkk and drive down to hau hinn and stay there for 1 night, then leave the next morning at around 6am , how many hours from hau hinn to phuket ? if it is too long i may make another stop somewhere , but where ? someplace nice with a bit of nightlife and a decent beach so where do you recommend, if theres nowhere decent along the way i will just make the one journey down to phuket non stop.

also, i will more than likely be in pattaya most of the time before i head for phuket and want to ask, is it possible to take a car onto the new boat route / ferry from pattaya to hau hinn, would it be a faster journey for me the wife and kid ? how much would it be for the 3 of us and a car ( pickup ) ?

thanks in advance.

Hua Hin to Phuket is a comfortable days drive. About 7-8 Hours depending on traffic, how many stops you make and how fast you are driving.

About 650km from memory.

I usually went Hua Hin to Prachuap and down to Surat Thani, (route 41)

Then take route 401 to route 415 and follow the signs to Phuket.

You can go down to route 44 from Nong Sai.

It is about the same time wise as the previous route, a bit further, but a much better road.

Not a lot to see on the way.

No need to stop over from HH to Phuket, it's comfortably doable as a daylight drive.

what from pattaya to phuket ? what you drive then a lear jet ? blink.gif im driving with my wife and kid in car so obviously cannot hammer it on. want some scenery on way and another stop over from hh on the way down , thats if there is a decent stop over ?

Hua Hin to Phuket is an easy drive in one day, but depends as usual on other factors such as rain, roadworks, etc.

If I was doing the journey again, I might stay over slightly further south of Hua Hin, possibly about 100 km. Not sure where.

No need to stop over from HH to Phuket, it's comfortably doable as a daylight drive.

what from pattaya to phuket ? what you drive then a lear jet ? blink.gif im driving with my wife and kid in car so obviously cannot hammer it on. want some scenery on way and another stop over from hh on the way down , thats if there is a decent stop over ?

No, Hua Hin to Phuket. Easy in 1 day. Vrooooooooom. I did it in a 3 litre frontier

Hua Hin to Phuket can be done in 7 hours. However with kids I would say take your time and you should do it in 9 hours easy and it is a very dull route unless you go via Ranong.

A stop in Ranong isn't a bad idea......and the drive through Khao Lak would be a joy the next morning. Wonderful scenery.

My post doesn't mention Pattaya but I've done Phuket to Bangkok (Don Muang) in 10 hours and Pattaya is only another 2 hours on from there on very good roads so no problem driving them at night.

I wouldn't do it the other way round at night mind unless they've improved the roads a lot since I was last heading down there.

i think i,ll do it at night since there isnt much to see. thanks

I've done it at night, and don't recommend it. Bad roads, lots of unexpected detours, difficult to see the signs, and tons of heavy trucks.

Far better to take it easy, during the day. It's about nine hours if you drive like a sane westerner. Stop at the Co-Op on the way, for lunch.

Hate to disagree with everyone, but the scenery along parts of the trip is spectacular. Phang Nga in the late afternoon with the low sun on the karsts is a world-class trip. Cruising through the jungle on highway 41, the orange trees and fresh oranges at the end of highway 41 - they're all great. And the food's outstanding, everywhere.