The News Media We Deserve

WinnieTheKhwai

I am constantly amazed that people don't see great similarities between Thailand today, and its social changes, to what has occurred in the West. Neither democracy nor freedom of the press appeared at once, full born. It can be argued (given the U.S. government's reactions to Wikileaks, for example) that we're nowhere near the second yet. As for the first, we have wheels within wheels.

1. Transparency. What great decisions at the upper echelons of government were revealed in 19th century London papers - rather than telling the populace what was suitable for them? What, the Times revealed all? I have in mind in particular commerce and laborers - continuing through to the next century as well. Or the destructive absence of rights of women. Or the conditions on the streets of London, disease, drunkenness, whoring, filth?

2. When have we in the West not had scandalous publications, yellow journalism, scabrous sheets, or salacious (and indifferent) rags printed for profit? Or callous?

3. Given libel laws here and their adjudication, who here would like to own a publication with the goal of telling difficult truths?

The potential for true journalism in Thailand may well be better her than in Asean countries and certain other BIG neighboring nations. But if a paper is making profits and not attacking established power positions, how can we assume a superior posture, given our own developmental histories? Thing is, who buys this trash? "We have seen the enemy and they is us" - or somebody in Pattaya, that stellar locality of kindly and caring western residents and visitors.

Dismaying, disgusting, disheartening - but surprising, not.

Edited by CMX

Ha ha, that is so true! When I get forced by my sales staff to do a review of a restaurant I don't like I can't lie and say it's all great, but I do my best to just find somethign good to write about. One time this restaurant was so awful I had to resort to praising its clean toilets!...which were happily very clean!

I am constantly amazed that people don't see great similarities between Thailand today, and its social changes, to what has occurred in the West. Neither democracy nor freedom of the press appeared at once, full born. It can be argued (given the U.S. government's reactions to Wikileaks, for example) that we're nowhere near the second yet. As for the first, we have wheels within wheels.

1. Transparency. What great decisions at the upper echelons of government were revealed in 19th century London papers - rather than telling the populace what was suitable for them? What, the Times revealed all? I have in mind in particular commerce and laborers - continuing through to the next century as well. Or the destructive absence of rights of women. Or the conditions on the streets of London, disease, drunkenness, whoring, filth?

2. When have we in the West not had scandalous publications, yellow journalism, scabrous sheets, or salacious (and indifferent) rags printed for profit? Or callous?

3. Given libel laws here and their adjudication, who here would like to own a publication with the goal of telling difficult truths?

The potential for true journalism in Thailand may well be better her than in Asean countries and certain other BIG neighboring nations. But if a paper is making profits and not attacking established power positions, how can we assume a superior posture, given our own developmental histories? Thing is, who buys this trash? "We have seen the enemy and they is us" - or somebody in Pattaya, that stellar locality of kindly and caring western residents and visitors.

Dismaying, disgusting, disheartening - but surprising, not.

Reminds me of a e-mail a friend sent me.

"What have we learned in 2,065 years?

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled,

public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be

tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should

be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to

work, instead of living on public assistance."

- Cicero - 55 BC

So, evidently nothing!!!

Kinda puts things in perspective.