Contract Work As Individual

I have a question about working in Thailand. I'm a foreigner holding a Thai residency permit. I don't have a Thai work permit, but recently I got myself a tax ID number upon moving back here. My work is based on offering services to different companies, therefore, I am technically a freelancer. Is it legal to invoice companies (and of course, tax included - I was told 3% for individuals) without holding a work permit?

I was also told that when I file for tax return, I have to pay additional 7% when the time comes. So will this 7% be deducted from my total yearly income?

No its not legal, what is the 7% for ? withholding tax, VAT ?

How can you legally invoice a company and charge tax if you are not doing it through a company, there is no legal vehicle in Thailand to do what your are suggesting as far as I am aware ?

I would also be suprised if any legal entity ie company in Thailand would even consider doing a buisness deal this way

You need to set up a Thai company, going the way you suggest sounds very messy and prone to problems and without the WP, you would be working illegally

Thanks for the reply. Seems like I'm getting different answers from everywhere. i was told 3% witholding tax and 7% VAT. I want to do it the legal way of course. I should probably consult a lawyer. Any recommendations?

How can you legally invoice a company and charge tax if you are not doing it through a company, there is no legal vehicle in Thailand to do what your are suggesting as far as I am aware ?

I would also be suprised if any legal entity ie company in Thailand would even consider doing a buisness deal this way

You need to set up a Thai company, going the way you suggest sounds very messy and prone to problems and without the WP, you would be working illegally

Thanks for the reply. Seems like I'm getting different answers from everywhere. i was told 3% witholding tax and 7% VAT. I want to do it the legal way of course. I should probably consult a lawyer. Any recommendations?

Ok per your previous post, you have permanent residence, My understanding is you still need a WP, which implies you still need a Thai company, but because of the PR thing beyond that you have me at a disadvantage as not sure how things would work in your case.

I would suggest you talk to a decent lawyer who understands the rules pertaining to PR/companies/tax etc, the one question would certainly have for them...how can they invoke withholding tax on a PR ? doesnt make sense to me..

would be interested what you do find out for my interest