Motorbike Insurance

Phil Conners

Motorbike insurance is the same as any other vehicle and have the following voluntary insurances available to them - as someone said all foreigners (depending on their budgets) should have at least the 3rd Class.

1st Class = Comprehensive i.e. covers the Third Party and damage to your bike.

2nd Class = Third Party, Fire & Theft

3rd Class = Third Party

- All include Bail Bond.

These insurances are available to all motorbikes small and large, however as the bike gets older (the same as cars etc) the company may decline certain makes/models.

or to look at it another way

You drive a m/c like everyone else then they wouldn't have a problem with the expensive repair bill for your posh car.

Why should a poor person have to pay for for an accident, because you are a rich person.

You don't mean that serious, do you?

Motorbike insurance is the same as any other vehicle and have the following voluntary insurances available to them - as someone said all foreigners (depending on their budgets) should have at least the 3rd Class.

1st Class = Comprehensive i.e. covers the Third Party and damage to your bike.

2nd Class = Third Party, Fire & Theft

3rd Class = Third Party

- All include Bail Bond.

These insurances are available to all motorbikes small and large, however as the bike gets older (the same as cars etc) the company may decline certain makes/models.

Honda bike dealers like to sell an Insurance covering theft only, IOW not 2nd class, and seem to make it a must when financed bike

3rd class is what you describe, 3rd party medical and cars/bikes, bailbond

I think you are right about it being called 3rd class & apparently its the only option for scooter sized bikes under a certain amount of CC's, ie: Im pretty sure they wont do a 1st class policy on a fino. BUT the way I see it, is if everyone else is covered & ur just up for a fino replacement, then sobeit & at least thats a start.

There are limits on the policy like 200,000 baht per person injured up to 10 million baht, bail bond I think was 200,000. Driver on the insured bike also gets some basic coverage, it wasnt all that flash but certainly better than nothing.

NeverDie,

Could you please tell me where you get this insurance for a 125 scooter type machine as at present I only have the compulsory 3rd party junk. Even at 2000 baht it seems worth it to me.

Many thanks,

Mak

I think you are right about it being called 3rd class & apparently its the only option for scooter sized bikes under a certain amount of CC's, ie: Im pretty sure they wont do a 1st class policy on a fino. BUT the way I see it, is if everyone else is covered & ur just up for a fino replacement, then sobeit & at least thats a start.

There are limits on the policy like 200,000 baht per person injured up to 10 million baht, bail bond I think was 200,000. Driver on the insured bike also gets some basic coverage, it wasnt all that flash but certainly better than nothing.

NeverDie,

Could you please tell me where you get this insurance for a 125 scooter type machine as at present I only have the compulsory 3rd party junk. Even at 2000 baht it seems worth it to me.

Many thanks,

Mak

Very simple go HERE and you can buy on-line :rolleyes:

^ It would probably be worth going to the same company where you have your "3rd party junk" and add the 3rd class insurance to that, in order to avoid fights between the insurance companies if/when a damage has to be paid one day. (i.e. both companies will probably try to push the responsibility onto the other company)

How it works Phil, is that the CPTL insurance will pay the first 40,000 for injury, then the other insurances pay the rest :), and as far as I am aware you cannot merge the two

you can, its all in one policy on my car, but whats the point as the CPTL doesnt cover anything anyway.

If you want all insurances in one document/policy, you must wait until renewal/next year of existing insurance, or simply make a new CPTL(at a couple of hundred baht) with the 3rd/2nd/1st you make now

2 months ago was in Ranong, went into Suzuki main dealer, looked at the Hayate and got all the details...

52,000 baht for the Hayate, this included the paperwork + the Insurance + Road tax... 1st class Insurance they would supply @ 1,620 baht...

About 3 months ago went into Honda a main dealer nearest to me past Bang Yai, at that time the PCX was

70,000 baht this included the paperwork + the Insurance + Road tax... 1st class Insurance they would supply @ 1,800 baht...

As I have not bought yet [within the next 3 weeks] I have no idea what this main dealers Insurance covers... both I asked about 1st class, which was extra..

Of course it could well be that the Companies included Insurance is more than the basic CPTL ?

The price of the PCX has gone up? driving past the same Honda Motorbike showroom last Friday noticed the Red/Black one, so went in to look, was a customers the price now 72,000 baht

2 months ago was in Ranong, went into Suzuki main dealer, looked at the Hayate and got all the details...

52,000 baht for the Hayate, this included the paperwork + the Insurance + Road tax... 1st class Insurance they would supply @ 1,620 baht...

About 3 months ago went into Honda a main dealer nearest to me past Bang Yai, at that time the PCX was

70,000 baht this included the paperwork + the Insurance + Road tax... 1st class Insurance they would supply @ 1,800 baht...

As I have not bought yet [within the next 3 weeks] I have no idea what this main dealers Insurance covers... both I asked about 1st class, which was extra..

Of course it could well be that the Companies included Insurance is more than the basic CPTL ?

The price of the PCX has gone up? driving past the same Honda Motorbike showroom last Friday noticed the Red/Black one, so went in to look, was a customers the price now 72,000 baht

Unfortunately the Dealers (not just of bikes but also cars) know nothing about insurance hence the silly premiums you were quoted for 1st Class insurance - you will not get 1st Class insurance for 1,620 Baht.

Two points about Bike insurance : 1 it is hard (and will get harder) to get and 2 it is expensive. The reason behind both of these is that there are simply too many claims because of theft and the danger of riding bikes in this environment.

Unfortunately the Dealers (not just of bikes but also cars) know nothing about insurance hence the silly premiums you were quoted for 1st Class insurance - you will not get 1st Class insurance for 1,620 Baht.

Two points about Bike insurance : 1 it is hard (and will get harder) to get and 2 it is expensive. The reason behind both of these is that there are simply too many claims because of theft and the danger of riding bikes in this environment.

agreed

the so called Honda dealers 1st classs I have seen at 1800 baht for PCX, have been CPTL and theft only, not even 3rd class

Kawasaki dealers sold proper 1st class at 7800 baht/year in August 2009 for 257k Ninja 650R covering approx 200k bike. Now it costs approx 12-13k baht.

Problem is where to get a quote for Insurance ? I am getting a PCX in 3 weeks !!

I asked where my car is Insured they said the cost was 2,900 baht, if it is like my car Insurance then it is all in Thai, so really have no idea what it says..

Sadly the Sponsor on here never replied 4 months ago, sent again for a quote last week still no reply as yet. [same 2 years ago when I changed my car, never got a quote or reply]

Had 1st class with the full 50% NC discount on both my car and pickup for the past 6 years [never had an accident or made a claim]

^ Well, so is a 10,000 baht repair bill when they run into a new Bentley or Benz and their crappy government insurance doesn't cover it.

Never heard of a any country having laws making it impossible to get payment for damaged property just because the guy doing the damage has a low income. If that is really the case Thailand is further out than I thought. He had enough money to buy a bike, perhaps he should calculate in the cost of insurance as well.

going by the books, your income is not linked to your responsibility, i.e. whatever rich or poor you are you have to pay for what you've done. In real life it is much different, unfortunately.

Another concern is, that the average Thai assumes that whatever the insurance covers is his/her liability. Example: If my car is damaged and I have to bring it to a repair shop, I'm without a car for a couple of days. As I have too rent a car for that time, the insurance would not cover the car rent. Still, this is a cost directly related to the accident and thus the one who caused the accident is liable for the car rent payments as well. Very difficult to get this point across...

My gf ran into the back if a car yesterday. 10cm area of scratches and small crack to the skirt below the rear bumper of a Toyota Vios. I offer 3500 baht, but guy refuses. Guy calls cops. Police report at station. Gf gets a ticket for not carrying her ID card or having a drivers license. Insurance guy shows up tells us we need to pay 5000B. So I do, then the guy starts asking us for compensation for missed time from work and for a rental car. I laughed at him. I made a brief attempt to explain to him and insurgence guy via the gf that there is insurance for that, and he needs to talk to his insurance guy, and that it is a risk he takes as a road user and car owner. He can have a friend drive him or take motosai taxi. He told my gf that he will make another police report to get the money from her. Whatever.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

• 2 weeks later...

NeverDie,

Many thanks,

Mak

Sorry, but the online quotations are are big Joke.

After 6 days got those Prices for a 1 Year old PCX today

Wolfgang

1st Class is 9,008 Baht and 3rd Class is 3,446 Baht.

Best Regards

Peter

AA INSURANCE BROKERS CO., LTD.

565/62 Moo 10 (Next to Big C, South Pattaya ),

Nongprue, Banglamung,

Chonburi, 20150

Phone: 038 415 795-6

Fax: 038 374 251

Email: [email protected]

Web: http://insurance.thaivisa.com

Sent: Friday, January 28, 2011 2:59 PM

To: [email protected]; [email protected]

NeverDie,

Many thanks,

Mak

Sorry, but the online quotations are are big Joke.

After 6 days got those Prices for a 1 Year old PCX today

Wolfgang

1st Class is 9,008 Baht and 3rd Class is 3,446 Baht.

Best Regards

Peter

AA INSURANCE BROKERS CO., LTD.

Web: http://insurance.thaivisa.com

Sent: Friday, January 28, 2011 2:59 PM

To: [email protected]; [email protected]

What's the joke ? Seems about what the gf paid for her pcx

^ Well, so is a 10,000 baht repair bill when they run into a new Bentley or Benz and their crappy government insurance doesn't cover it.

Never heard of a any country having laws making it impossible to get payment for damaged property just because the guy doing the damage has a low income. If that is really the case Thailand is further out than I thought. He had enough money to buy a bike, perhaps he should calculate in the cost of insurance as well.

going by the books, your income is not linked to your responsibility, i.e. whatever rich or poor you are you have to pay for what you've done. In real life it is much different, unfortunately.

Another concern is, that the average Thai assumes that whatever the insurance covers is his/her liability. Example: If my car is damaged and I have to bring it to a repair shop, I'm without a car for a couple of days. As I have too rent a car for that time, the insurance would not cover the car rent. Still, this is a cost directly related to the accident and thus the one who caused the accident is liable for the car rent payments as well. Very difficult to get this point across...

My gf ran into the back if a car yesterday. 10cm area of scratches and small crack to the skirt below the rear bumper of a Toyota Vios. I offer 3500 baht, but guy refuses. Guy calls cops. Police report at station. Gf gets a ticket for not carrying her ID card or having a drivers license. Insurance guy shows up tells us we need to pay 5000B. So I do, then the guy starts asking us for compensation for missed time from work and for a rental car. I laughed at him. I made a brief attempt to explain to him and insurgence guy via the gf that there is insurance for that, and he needs to talk to his insurance guy, and that it is a risk he takes as a road user and car owner. He can have a friend drive him or take motosai taxi. He told my gf that he will make another police report to get the money from her. Whatever.

you (your gf) damaged his car, he needs it to work. Fair enough that you have to compensate him. I for one could not do the approx 1,000 km a week I drive on a motorcycle taxi, neither could I visit my customers with such vehicle.