Motorbike Insurance

Phil Conners

I have just been informed that the standard government insurance for motorbikes does not cover any material damage, only injuries, can that be correct?

It makes no sense to me but would explain all the times Thai people on bikes run away from accidents.

The reason why Phil Connors is asking is....I just had an incident with a motorcycle and it happened to happen just around the corner from Phil's place...so he joined the crowd watching the scene (on my invitation, I must say....:whistling:

She crashed into me from behind and I did what I always do. Confiscate the key so they cannot make a runner and call the insurance. The insurance made her pay 2,800 Baht (to the insurance) and the case was closed.

My tolerance towards those buggers driving without helmet/insurance/drivers license/common sense/brain/eyesight is pretty much zero.

Is there any additional insurance you can make to cover the rest?

Yes there is the 'voluntary' insurance (just like any other vehicles) available to motorcycles which can cover your property as well as damage to others. Quite frankly if a foreigner dives any type of vehicle then he/she should never depend on the CTPL compulsory insurance.

For any level of vehicle insurance (no matter motorbike, pick-up, car, commercial etc etc) then please go HERE for an on-line quote.

Let Thai Visa look after you properly :)

^ how much is "not that expensive"? I recall I had one years ago and I though it was more than it was worth, can't remember the exact amount though....

When you have an accident you do not start worrying about the cost ! That's the attitude many 'uninsured' riders have and why problems occur. Sorry to hear of your accident Raro

^ how much is "not that expensive"? I recall I had one years ago and I though it was more than it was worth, can't remember the exact amount though....

Phil, I've had the insurance for years. I vaguely recall it was a bit over 2,000 baht per year when the policy started but now with no claim discount (or whatever they call it) it is about 1400 odd baht per year. TBH, its just one of those things you pay without thinking about, especially when you've seen what others endure for not doing it.

That is not much, true. It's ridiculous that the government insurance doesn't cover material damage though.

600 baht compulsory or 2000 baht 3rd class a year is a huge difference for most thais, especially as it has to be payed all at once

one also has to think about a thai can not be sued for material damage if income is less than 10k baht/month/ as long as it is a traffic accident without breach of law/police case

^ Well, so is a 10,000 baht repair bill when they run into a new Bentley or Benz and their crappy government insurance doesn't cover it.

Never heard of a any country having laws making it impossible to get payment for damaged property just because the guy doing the damage has a low income. If that is really the case Thailand is further out than I thought. He had enough money to buy a bike, perhaps he should calculate in the cost of insurance as well.

Edited by Phil Conners

^ Well, so is a 10,000 baht repair bill when they run into a new Bentley or Benz and their crappy government insurance doesn't cover it.

Never heard of a any country having laws making it impossible to get payment for damaged property just because the guy doing the damage has a low income. If that is really the case Thailand is further out than I thought. He had enough money to buy a bike, perhaps he should calculate in the cost of insurance as well.

going by the books, your income is not linked to your responsibility, i.e. whatever rich or poor you are you have to pay for what you've done. In real life it is much different, unfortunately.

Another concern is, that the average Thai assumes that whatever the insurance covers is his/her liability. Example: If my car is damaged and I have to bring it to a repair shop, I'm without a car for a couple of days. As I have too rent a car for that time, the insurance would not cover the car rent. Still, this is a cost directly related to the accident and thus the one who caused the accident is liable for the car rent payments as well. Very difficult to get this point across...

Honda said 1st class Insurance for the PCX is + 1,800 baht... the price of the bike includes government Insurance + road tax and paperwork.

They are telling you lies - check the policy !

What makes you say that?

It sounds like when he went into buy the bike new that they gave him a total price, ie: xx,000 baht. That was the new bike, fully registered and insured with the compulsory insurance and road tax/plate fee.

To obtain 1st class insurance required an EXTRA policy & 1800 baht wouldnt be that far out based on the policies Ive had on scooters. Give or take a couple of baht.

If I were to obtain any policy, I would want to see the Policy document & make sure the necessary segments were filled out regarding DEATH, INJURY, DAMAGE, BAIL BOND etc etc.

Interesting thought, but would you or your insurance company, bother to sue poor people in Argentina, Brazil, Laos, Cambodia or Mexico?

Here its been rationalised, court doesnt accept cases if salary is less than 10k baht/month

Honda said 1st class Insurance for the PCX is + 1,800 baht... the price of the bike includes government Insurance + road tax and paperwork.

They are telling you lies - check the policy !

What makes you say that?

It sounds like when he went into buy the bike new that they gave him a total price, ie: xx,000 baht. That was the new bike, fully registered and insured with the compulsory insurance and road tax/plate fee.

To obtain 1st class insurance required an EXTRA policy & 1800 baht wouldnt be that far out based on the policies Ive had on scooters. Give or take a couple of baht.

If I were to obtain any policy, I would want to see the Policy document & make sure the necessary segments were filled out regarding DEATH, INJURY, DAMAGE, BAIL BOND etc etc.

1800 baht for pcx is normal for theft.

doubt it covers 3rd part

doubt it covers 3rd part

Whatever, I was always given the impression that the so called bike 1st class policies went off cc size & ive got a 150 & currently paying 1400 baht per year, bail bond included. (as i said before it was a tad over 2000 baht to start with, gradually dropped each renewal).

I must point out that these policies to the best of my knowledge DO NOT include repairs to the Bike insured itself, so whilst 1st class car insurance will cover that, my understanding is the bike insured's repair will not be covered but the damage it does to people and other property up to certain limits will.

I wouldnt ride without bail bond insurance.

doubt it covers 3rd part

Whatever, I was always given the impression that the so called bike 1st class policies went off cc size & ive got a 150 & currently paying 1400 baht per year, bail bond included. (as i said before it was a tad over 2000 baht to start with, gradually dropped each renewal).

I must point out that these policies to the best of my knowledge DO NOT include repairs to the Bike insured itself, so whilst 1st class car insurance will cover that, my understanding is the bike insured's repair will not be covered but the damage it does to people and other property up to certain limits will.

I wouldnt ride without bail bond insurance.

1st class bike insurnace covers your own bike up to agreed amount, my Ninja650R it was 7800 baht covering approx 200k bike pluss 3rd class cover 1millx10, bailbond etc

3rd class is what you describe, 3rd party medical and cars/bikes, bailbond

thais buying new bike like the theft insurance. on finance many require it. 3rd class, no worry today ;)

I wouldnt ride without bailbond insurance or 200k baht in atm card either. dislike thai jails to much

3rd class is what you describe, 3rd party medical and cars/bikes, bailbond

I think you are right about it being called 3rd class & apparently its the only option for scooter sized bikes under a certain amount of CC's, ie: Im pretty sure they wont do a 1st class policy on a fino. BUT the way I see it, is if everyone else is covered & ur just up for a fino replacement, then sobeit & at least thats a start.

There are limits on the policy like 200,000 baht per person injured up to 10 million baht, bail bond I think was 200,000. Driver on the insured bike also gets some basic coverage, it wasnt all that flash but certainly better than nothing.