Question About Birds

bangkokrick

Hi All,

Whilst sitting overlooking Bang Suray beach having a beer with a friend. We commented that neither of us has ever seen a Seagull in Thailand. We have both been to numerous Islands and beaches around Thailand, but can not recall seeing a single Seagull. Looking back at our travels to various Countries in the world we can not remember a beach that did not have a profusion of Seagulls. Any ideas as to why there are no seagulls in Thailand, or are we just bad observers?

Cheers, Rick

I've just looked through my copy of the excellent 'Birds of Thailand' by Craig Robson, which shows 5 illustrated pages of gulls and terns, but the distribution of most of them according to the little charts in the book appears to be quite limited.

I've no idea of the reason but I think your observation has some truth in it. The other day we were lunching at a waterside restaurant at Sattahip, within a hundred metres of the fishing fleet berths, but I don't recall seeing any gulls. Perhaps I just didn't notice because to a Brit's eyes herring gulls are part of the furniture, but there weren't the wheeling mobs of the things that you would expect to see in a place like Brixham or Grimsby. There were swifts wizzing all around in profusion, and I was pleased to notice a cormorant-type on a rock swallowing a fish, which I subsequently identified as a Pacific Reef Egret.

If I spot a gull, I'll let you know.

This is not true about the lack of gulls.

Plenty of them in my area, pesky things are a darn nuisance.

That's because you're a beetle...or at least juice. You're just paranoid! :lol: :jap:

For sure we have seen them here near Bang Saray. I've not seen them in mass numbers, but have seen a few for sure.

That's because you're a beetle...or at least juice. You're just paranoid! :lol: :jap:

For sure we have seen them here near Bang Saray. I've not seen them in mass numbers, but have seen a few for sure.

The thing that brought this to mind is that there was no noise around the beach area. I come from the UK and the noise of the Gulls can be unbearable because at time there are thousands of them flocking near the beaches. Been to Jomtien beach today and there were none there either. I just wondered why?

Rick

The thing that brought this to mind is that there was no noise around the beach area. I come from the UK and the noise of the Gulls can be unbearable because at time there are thousands of them flocking near the beaches. Been to Jomtien beach today and there were none there either. I just wondered why?

Rick

Sorry bettlejuice...I've got severe jet lag. Not sure if it is day or night.

I was in Jomtiien today...no gulls for sure...nothing like where I came from in San Diego, CA!

There's plenty of Gulls & Terns around the Gulf coastline, but to see them in any sort of large numbers you need to be near to, or at places where, freshwater rivers run into the sea (good muddy feeding grounds). Bang Poo in Samut Prakarn & the salt pans of Samut Sakorn, both sites close to the mouth of the Chao Praya, are among the top spots..

I been trying to find out what the English/Latin name of the bird called in Thai . . "NOK KAWOW". I know this forum is about sea gulls, but I dont see any other forum for bird questions like this one. Anybody?

Here in the south, the NOK KAWOW are very common, a black middlesized bird with a curved peak . .and you can hear them for miles. Very loud piercing call . . .of "kawow,kawow,kawow"

I tried to find in my bird book birds of Southeeast asia but no luck. Nothing matches. thanks

I also noted the lack of bird life in thailand. suposedly they have all been eaten.

when i had lady visit me in the west she got hungry everytime she saw something with wings. "flying food, we should shoot them for eating".

I don't think crows and gulls would make for good eating......

If it flies, moves, crawls, swims or slithers our dear ladies will eat it.

Thanks so much Goshawk!

Thats it exactly!

Dont know why I couldnt find it .but I was using binoc ulers and he one I was watching seemed to have a more curved beak than the clip shows.

But the call says it all .. .and it can drive you crazy if one is close by . . they never stop that kawow

Plate 23 in my Birds of SE asia p 54 text.

I been trying to find out . . . "NOK KAWOW"

that's the Asian Koel (Eudynamys scolopaceus).

A member of the cuckoo family.. They're extremely widespread across southern Asia, & very common in Thailand.