Bangkok Bank

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is a FACT. In Chanthaburi. NO WORK PERMIT is needed for ibanking. As far as how to do it at the ATM. Put your card in the machine, ask for English, click other services, and slow down and read the instructions, and actually follow them. Not what you want to do, but actually do what the instructions tell you to do.

It is not uranium enrichment its reading.

This is a FACT. In Chanthaburi. NO WORK PERMIT is needed for ibanking. As far as how to do it at the ATM. Put your card in the machine, ask for English, click other services, and slow down and read the instructions, and actually follow them. Not what you want to do, but actually do what the instructions tell you to do.

Exactly. Well said.

I am going to get somebody from the business operations side to open an account on Thaivisa to answer this all directly. This may take a day or 2 as I need to get hold of the right person and I am not sure where he is today as I am in the US (we are a large company). But I think this will be more efficient than me having to get in the middle on all these questions.

But bottom line is that if you can open a normal deposit account, by normal I meant not one where the interest rate is "different". I mean one where the interest rates are the same as published for normal accounts, then you can get iBanking. So if you have a normal savings or fixed deposit account, you are ok. Work permits are, as I said above, NOT required. No "buts" this time....

So please wait for the new "official" ID and I can get involved just when it is IT. .....

I trust all had a good weekend. Weather here is spectacular in San Francisco :jap:

Ian

Edited by ianguygil

Exactly. Well said.

I am going to get somebody from the business operations side to open an account on Thaivisa to answer this all directly. This may take a day or 2 as I need to get hold of the right person and I am not sure where he is today as I am in the US (we are a large company). But I think this will be more efficient than me having to get in the middle on all these questions.

But bottom line is that if you can open a normal deposit account, by normal I meant not one where the interest rate is "different". I mean one where the interest rates are the same as published for normal accounts, then you can get iBanking. So if you have a normal savings or fixed deposit account, you are ok. Work permits are, as I said above, NOT required. No "buts" this time..

So please wait for the new "official" ID and I can get involved just when it is IT. .....

I trust all had a good weekend. Weather here is spectacular in San Francisco :jap:

Ian

Thanks Ian. I guess it is time for another Bangkok Bank member to declare himself.

The Branches have instructions to screen customers to ensure that we do not open Internet Banking for people who are here for a relatively short term. e.g. tourists. We are also mindful of the opportunity to undertake money laundering activities via this channel. As such, a customer who does not have the work permit may get asked some additional questions.

The Branch has the discretion to make a recommendation on a customer wanting Internet Banking. If you are living here without a work Permit, discuss it with the Branch and once the manager is satisfied, the account can be opened. Questions may revolve around how long you have been or intend to stay in Thailand. A look at conduct of the account or how long you have Banked with us etc will be undertaken.

Once this step is completed, opening access to the Internet Banking can be done by registering you through the ATM machine. Should this facility be down for any reason, the application will be taken and submitted to our processing centre. Within a few days you will receive information to your email address followed by a password being sent to your mailing address. This should generally happen within 7 days. Should you be waiting longer than this you need to recontact the Branch and possibly start again because something has either gone missing in the mail or our process has fallen short of expectation

To log on intially, you need to bring both pieces of information together to complete your Registeration. Obviously the methiod through the ATM is the quickest and more efficient .

We do extensive training in all our products and services. However, as you would appreciate, we have many. Add this to the occassional communication issues and we unfortunately get mixed messages. Should not happen but changing staff etc keeps it an ongoing challenge to ensure correct answers are given to customer enquiries.

The Branch has the discretion to make a recommendation on a customer wanting Internet Banking. If you are living here without a work Permit, discuss it with the Branch and once the manager is satisfied, the account can be opened. Questions may revolve around how long you have been or intend to stay in Thailand. A look at conduct of the account or how long you have Banked with us etc will be undertaken.

In your entire post, you mentioned work permit, but made absolutely no mention of certificate of residence...

So, are you confirming, or not confirming, that a certificate of residence can be used as a replacement document for those who do not have a work permit (such as retirees who also typically have a non-immigrant visa or extension) and want to open Internet banking?

That seemed to be the gist of the BKK Bank web site reference Ian posted above on the requirements for opening Internet banking...

Your post makes it seem like absent a work permit, it's an entirely discretionary decision by the branch staff. The web site seems to say otherwise.

So I've compared the prior (last week's) version of BKK Bank's "Apply for IBanking" web site instructions with the latest version... And of course, the guidelines listed in the prior version are very much different compared to the latest version... That said, the new version appears to be both clearer and more inclusive than its predecessor, an actual improvement -- if the bank branch staff know to follow the new version in actual operation.

The prior advice about people who have a resident baht account and any non-immigrant visa then also needing just a work permit or a certificate of residence no longer applies... And the whole prior advice about a certificate of residence being accepted in lieu of a work permit also no longer applies. In fact, the only place Certificate of Residence now appears in the new guidelines is as one of the possible documents for applicants who have permanent residency status.

In the new guidelines, now instead there are three different categories of applicants each with a different set of required qualifications:

1. one set for those with permanent residency

2. a different set for those working in Thailand with a non-imm B visa

3. and a different set still for those on a tourist visa or various non-immigrant visas (including retirement).

Overall, as I read them, the new guidelines appear to be more inclusive in terms of expanding the ability to obtain IBanking to a broader range of people, for example, making a specific inclusion of those on tourist visas into the same group as those with non-immigrant visas. The prior guidelines, as I read them, didn't make any specific allowance for those on tourist visas at all.

And for BKK Bank account holders on tourist visas or non immigrant visas other than B, meeting the new IBanking requirements can be as easy as providing a valid passport and government photo ID card such as a driver's license or university ID...

Is that pretty much on target???

One reason I originally signed up for my first Bangkok Bank account many years ago was because the information on their website (in English) was far more detailed, in layman's talk, made a person feel more comfortable in how their banking products worked, etc. Where other Thai bank web sites had much less information on their banking products and the how to's...and usually just referred you to a local branch for more info...of course, when you visited a local branch there was usually the English and Thai communications gap (or canyon). Now you can still experience that language gap at a Bangkok Bank branch, but a person sure can't say there isn't plenty of good information on their web site. The information on their web site was and still is far superior to other Thai banks.