New Vietnamese Restaurant In San Sai

venturalaw

Fantastic, reasonably priced Vietnamese food. The name is My Vietnamese Food Nong Khai Naemnueng and it's located on the second floor of the recently completed complex next to the new McDonalds at Meechok Plaza (Ring Road 1 at Chiangmai-Maejo Rd.).

FINALLY we are getting some good choices of restaurants in San Sai. Kelly's is great as was Pratties (also in Meechok Plaza), and now we have really good Vietnamese food available.

The website for the restaurant is http://myvietnamesefood.com/.

The Vietnamese next door to Kelly's (formerly Pratties) at Rimping Mee Chok is excellent, and great value too. Will have to try this new one though.

Uusallyu I don't plug things but I will say the Vietnamese place next to Kelley"s (love Kelley's too) is great. Excellent value and super food. I always worry when identical products move in so we will see if the area is big enough to support two Vietnamese restaurants and another one also on the middle ring road heading towards Doi Saket that people raved about. Not much more than a stone throw from MiiChok...

I like the food diversitry in this area...

CB

The Vietnamese next door to Kelly's (formerly Pratties) at Rimping Mee Chok is excellent, and great value too. Will have to try this new one though.

Uusallyu I don't plug things but I will say the Vietnamese place next to Kelley"s (love Kelley's too) is great. Excellent value and super food. I always worry when identical products move in so we will see if the area is big enough to support two Vietnamese restaurants and another one also on the middle ring road heading towards Doi Saket that people raved about. Not much more than a stone throw from MiiChok...

I like the food diversitry in this area...

CB

I agree about the one next to Kelley's but would like to chk out the other one your like. I gather it's on route 3029 going toward Doi Saket from Meekchok, could you give me any more details? I tried the new one, both me and the missus did not like it at all and we felt sick afterwards. And on top of that they charged me 10 baht for ice I did not order (I didn't order water either but it was on the table and already cold since the place was freezing with a/c when it was cold outside already) which is a lot considering I had a bowl of soup for 50 baht. I could go on like the manager could not answer a question about the food (the pork was cured or something but she didn't know), everything was so salty, seemed like it was prepared like fast food, and not authentic Vietnamese with kapi as a condiment not what I'm use to be served, (and no lime or bean sprouts!!) nor the aromatic broth of anise or cinnamon (Though I will admit I'm not an expert in Vietnamese food)

I agree about the one next to Kelley's but would like to chk out the other one your like. I gather it's on route 3029 going toward Doi Saket from Meekchok, could you give me any more details? I tried the new one, both me and the missus did not like it at all and we felt sick afterwards. And on top of that they charged me 10 baht for ice I did not order (I didn't order water either but it was on the table and already cold since the place was freezing with a/c when it was cold outside already) which is a lot considering I had a bowl of soup for 50 baht. I could go on like the manager could not answer a question about the food (the pork was cured or something but she didn't know), everything was so salty, seemed like it was prepared like fast food, and not authentic Vietnamese with kapi as a condiment not what I'm use to be served, (and no lime or bean sprouts!!) nor the aromatic broth of anise or cinnamon (Though I will admit I'm not an expert in Vietnamese food)

I described the location of the new restaurant in my original post: "The name is My Vietnamese Food Nong Khai Naemnueng and it's located on the second floor of the recently completed complex next to the new McDonalds at Meechok Plaza (Ring Road 1 at Chiangmai-Maejo Rd.)." Is that the same place that you described?

Is this the same ownership as the big Vietnamese place on Cheroen Prathet Rd, near the Iron Bridge near Duke's?

The site linked in the OP contains the most horrible map ever... I thought Chiang Mai businesses had moved past completely weird and out of scale maps.. But this is a good one, for old time's sake:

Untitled-1big.gif

Edited by CheGuava

I am quite surprised by the reactions here. My Vietnamese Food has several branches in Chiang Mai, I tried a couple of them (also the new one) and every time I said to myself that I shouldn't have gone there.

I am not impressed by the quality at all, but yeah, I am comparing them with Vietnamese restaurants in Bangkok and restaurants in Vietnam itself. Maybe it is OK for Chiang Mai...

It had been a while since I had been to Meechok Plaza so yesterday the wife and I visited. The new min mall extension looks good and a great addition for the area.:thumbsup: The new McD's with it drive up window looks typical Americana.:thumbsup: The remake of Kelly's looks fantastic.:thumbsup: Hope they do will. As for Rimping still old and dingy and even though it was only 11:30AM and no market, the traffic and parking even with the angle is the pits. You can not put 10 pounds of shyt in a 5 pound bag. Oh and for the new Vietnamese Restaurant there were at least 15 Thais having lunch plus myself and wife. The wife said the food was OK, as for me once was enough.

Edited by gotlost

The best Vietnamese food in C.M. used to be Ha Long Bay on Thannon Suthep. There was at least one Vietnamese chef in the kitchen and they used to have a buffet twice a day for about 139 Baht as I recall. You could also order anything from the menu and that was included in the price of the buffet. More than a year ago now something changed. The food was different, was not nearly as good and the buffet was discontinued. The last couple times I walked past there the place was empty when it was always packed before.

The place near Dukes on the river that someone mentioned above is also really good but I refuse to go back there because they charged me 30 Baht for use of the air conditioner without telling me before-hand. Our bill was close to 1000 Baht so I thought the 30 Baht charge was rather petty. I've never seen that anywhere else in Thailand.

Edited by elektrified

The best Vietnamese food in C.M. used to be Ha Long Bay on Thannon Suthep. There was at least one Vietnamese chef in the kitchen and they used to have a buffet twice a day for about 139 Baht as I recall. You could also order anything from the menu and that was included in the price of the buffet. More than a year ago now something changed. The food was different, was not nearly as good and the buffet was discontinued. The last couple times I walked past there the place was empty when it was always packed before.

The place near Dukes on the river that someone mentioned above is also really good but I refuse to go back there because they charged me 30 Baht for use of the air conditioner without telling me before-hand. Our bill was close to 1000 Baht so I thought the 30 Baht charge was rather petty. I've never seen that anywhere else in Thailand.

Yes it was a really good deal I remember it being 59 baht , but it's been about 5 years since I was there they had another branch down by the President hotel as well. The deal with ordering from the menu was very good.

Photos on the website look like the place on Huey Kaew in front of CMU, is the new place a branch of that restaurant?

Don't know. Maybe.

It is but the menu seems to have fewer items on it. Two of the three items ordered were fine like the one from the restaurant on Huey Kaeo, one was good but not quite as good but certainly okay since it has not been open long. I will be going again.

The place near Dukes on the river that someone mentioned above is also really good but I refuse to go back there because they charged me 30 Baht for use of the air conditioner without telling me before-hand.

There are signs that indicate a charge of like 10 baht or 15 baht or whatever applies when using the airconditioned area.

Six couples went there in 2008. Not one of these couples have eve been back to that restaurant.:o

I described the location of the new restaurant in my original post: "The name is My Vietnamese Food Nong Khai Naemnueng and it's located on the second floor of the recently completed complex next to the new McDonalds at Meechok Plaza (Ring Road 1 at Chiangmai-Maejo Rd.)." Is that the same place that you described?

no need for another plug nor insult your potential customers intelligence with your attempt to confuse the different places or your thin veiled act that you don't know how to read and understand what is being posted

they don't have the greatest choice of food there, but for C.M. it's decent. The place near Duke's (by the river) is probably one of the worse I've seen, very small menu and prices. Myvietname, is way cheaper and still have decent food.

no need for another plug nor insult your potential customers intelligence with your attempt to confuse the different places or your thin veiled act that you don't know how to read and understand what is being posted

I'm not plugging anything. I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in the restaurant that I started this thread about. I was merely providing information about a new restaurant that apparently was not up to your standards (if you have any).

The directions I posted were clear. You appeared to be confused with your description of the restaurant and question regarding the location, so I re-stated the directions. Hopefully this eliminates your confusion.

Edited by venturalaw

I'm not plugging anything. I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in the restaurant that I started this thread about. I was merely providing information about a new restaurant that apparently was not up to your standards (if you have any).

The directions I posted were clear. You appeared to be confused with your description of the restaurant and question regarding the location, so I re-stated the directions. Hopefully this eliminates your confusion.

huh?? if you rave about somewhere in a public forum it's a plug (not counting the link to their website). Please reread carefully and you might see who is confused. And about standards, I'm the one who pointed out why I didn't enjoy my meal and how it didn't meet my standards.

Venturalaw has nothing to do with running this restaurant. He is just a satisfied customer trying to bring a new restaurant some attention. :)

huh?? if you rave about somewhere in a public forum it's a plug (not counting the link to their website). Please reread carefully and you might see who is confused. And about standards, I'm the one who pointed out why I didn't enjoy my meal and how it didn't meet my standards.

----------------

Everyone has different tastes. I didn't like it either. But there are a few people on Tv that will never accept people disagreeing with them.

Edited by caf

I tried the Vietnamese restaurant next to Kelly's one time. I ordered soup to go. Although I was the only customer, it took over a half-hour to get the order. After getting home and tasting it, I threw what remained down the sink. That's why I was happy to find a new Vietnamese restaurant, also in Meechok Plaza, that was quick, reasonably priced, and, at least what I ate, very good. For instance, I like northern sausage and they have the best that I have tasted.

Yes there are people with varying tastes. As I said, I have no interest in the restaurant that is the subject of this thread. I enjoyed the food and since it is new to the location, I started a thread to make it known. If people don't like it that's fine. I don't care.

Now, there are a very small number of people on TV who insert themselves, disparagingly, into threads about which they have little or no experience merely for the purpose of being critical. One may ask; why? If I were to venture a guess, it would be because they have no life. They behave in a manner which is consistent with the unfortunate souls that have little or no self-esteem, meandering aimlessly through life believing that by denigrating others they will be viewed as being superior. But obviously, the opposite is true. They are viewed by the majority as weak and pathetic.

Edited by venturalaw

I tried the Vietnamese restaurant next to Kelly's one time. I ordered soup to go. Although I was the only customer, it took over a half-hour to get the order. After getting home and tasting it, I threw what remained down the sink. That's why I was happy to find a new Vietnamese restaurant, also in Meechok Plaza, that was quick, reasonably priced, and, at least what I ate, very good. For instance, I like northern sausage and they have the best that I have tasted.

Yes there are people with varying tastes. As I said, I have no interest in the restaurant that is the subject of this thread. I enjoyed the food and since it is new to the location, I started a thread to make it known. If people don't like it that's fine. I don't care.

Now, there are a very small number of people on TV who insert themselves, disparagingly, into threads about which they have little or no experience merely for the purpose of being critical. One may ask; why? If I were to venture a guess, it would be because they have no life. They behave in a manner which is consistent with the unfortunate souls that have little or no self-esteem, meandering aimlessly through life believing that by denigrating others they will be viewed as being superior. But obviously, the opposite is true. They are viewed by the majority as weak and pathetic.

You may be right about what you say in your second paragraph. Your problem, venturalaw, is you seem always to make too may assumptions which can not be backed up

People don't "insert themselves into threads" disparagingly to be critical. More likely they are putting their point of view. But if it is different to yours you don't like it.

Your response is to talk of weakness, being pathetic and needing a life, unfortunate souls, lacking self esteem, meandering aimlessly through life, etc etc.

Go for the message and reply with logic or facts; don't go for the poster. You have a knack of defending the indefensible sometimes.

And by the way, if one meanders it must be aimless. The phrase is a nonsense as it stands. If you want to try to be clever with English at least get it right and be original.

Now, there are a very small number of people on TV who insert themselves, disparagingly, into threads about which they have little or no experience merely for the purpose of being critical. One may ask; why?

Some members argue for the sake of arguing and most likely do not even believe the convoluted nonsense that they try to pass off as "logic" themselves. It has a lot to do with empty, bitter people posting anonymously.

You may be right about what you say in your second paragraph. Your problem, venturalaw, is you seem always to make too may assumptions which can not be backed up

People don't "insert themselves into threads" disparagingly to be critical. More likely they are putting their point of view. But if it is different to yours you don't like it.

Your response is to talk of weakness, being pathetic and needing a life, unfortunate souls, lacking self esteem, meandering aimlessly through life, etc etc.

Go for the message and reply with logic or facts; don't go for the poster. You have a knack of defending the indefensible sometimes.

And by the way, if one meanders it must be aimless. The phrase is a nonsense as it stands. If you want to try to be clever with English at least get it right and be original.

I was pointing out that when one argues in a consistently negative manner regarding various topics about which one has little or no experience in the name of 'putting their point of view', it may be indicative of having no purpose in life. Perhaps that was being overly critical.

Not to be overly critical of your error however, but merely for your edification, there is a difference between the words meandering; to proceed by or take a winding or indirect course, and aimless; without aim or purpose. If you require further explanation, send me a PM.

Edited by venturalaw

Now, there are a very small number of people on TV who insert themselves, disparagingly, into threads about which they have little or no experience merely for the purpose of being critical. One may ask; why?

Some members argue for the sake of arguing and most likely do not even believe the convoluted nonsense that they try to pass off as "logic" themselves. It has a lot to do with empty, bitter people posting anonymously.

+

Couldn't agree more, Ulysses. Odd you comment on people posting anonymously. You still post as Ulysses, Venturalaw as venturalaw and caf as caf and 99% of Tv members do the same.

I argued not for the sake of arguing but because I, like Venturalaw, had visited the restaurant that he quoted he did not like - I agreed with him.

That seems perfectly logical to me. I do agree with you though that there are empty bitter people posting convoluted nonsense here ( though I would have used different words - empty and convoluted is not very stylish )

They often seem to post after I have made a post. I suppose being stalked is some sort of complement