New Airport Advantages

The Coder

The new airport will start with two usable runways.  Don Muang only has one as the military side is too close to use both at the same time.  Don Muang was designed to build a new runway on the West side of airport road but that never happened and in recent years building was allowed to take place there so there was no option for expansion other than to build the new airport.

as long as the cracks are not too big!! :o:D

I hope they build it the best; I am fed up with all these corrupt guys making money from it...go to ###### corruption bastards :D:D

anyway, have a nice day :D:D

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The new airport will start with two usable runways.  Don Muang only has one as the military side is too close to use both at the same time. 

This may well be true - but it hasn't stopped them from using both runways concurrently, over the past several years, has it ? Or from squeezing-in the golf-course. Good old Thai creativity :o

I suspect the lack of airside-seating at DM is either to create extra space for Duty-Free Shopping, or to encourage waiting-passengers to go shop, rather than sit comfortably.

And I remember the days when there wasn't so much housing and other construction under the flight-paths. People who buy close to a major international airport deserve what they get.

And I remember the days when there wasn't  so much housing and other construction under the flight-paths.  People who buy close to a major international airport deserve  what they get.

Agree. They also deserve those rather nice property valuation increases as well.

:o

The domestic & international terminals at DM both need expansion, this could easily be accomodated on the far side of the sirport, where the military have a lot of under-used space.  The chances of actually bringing this into profitable use are IMHO NIL here in Thailand. 

Wasn't this suggested, but the Air Force said 'no way'?

From what I understand its a global trend, it's not just pax but freight, and a lot of lay-down space is required.

Also, existing gate facilities will not be able to accommodate the new larger body aircraft coming into service (A380, etc),

Sometimes it is more cost effective to start from scratch then to continually modify and upgrade.

Emerging carriers all want gate space and I believe the small domestics would pay the premium if it was available. Bus shuttles to transit pax to aircraft are no money savers, with operator, fuel and maint costs of their own.

It's all about gate space baby, :o

Don Muang Airport ( International / Domestic) are able to handle any traffic increases for years to come. Read below.

The RTAF are actually phasing the Don Muang Base out, not HQ. That would allow for expanded terminals, extend runways and use of the current and future infrastructure facilities to mature.

Facts

Bangkok International / Domestic Airport

Bangkok International Airport (BIA) serves the most air traffic in Thailand. Nowadays more than 80 airlines are on service and over 25,000,000 plus passengers, 160,000 flights and 700,000 tons of cargo are handled at this airport yearly.

With its appropriate location, spacious terminal and facilities as well as standard service, BIA then becomes the hub and the proper connecting point of international civil aviation routes of this region.

There are 2 runways at BIA

Runway 21 R/03L

3,700 metres long, 60 metres wide (12,139 feet/197 feet)

Runway 21 L/03R

3,500 metres long, 45 metres wide (11, 461 feet/147 feet)

Accommodation capacity 60 flights/hour

Characteristics asphaltic concrete

Durability

Runway 21R/03L = PCN.126/F/D/W/T

Runway 21L/03R = PCN.126/F/D/W/T

95 parking stands provided for aircraft at BIA

33 parking stands with contact gates divided into

25 parking stands at international passenger terminal

8 parking stands at domestic passenger terminal

62 remote parking bays

263 check-in counters:

124 check-in counters at international passenger terminal 1

96 check-in counters at international passenger terminal 2

43 check-in counters at domestic passenger terminal

Vibhavadi Rangsit Road is the main route linking BIA with downtown Bangkok. Other transport webs bringing us to downtown are toll-way and expressways which facilitate passengers' trip with more convenience and fastness.

Besides travelling by road, train is other choice for travelling to town, spending 30 minutes only. The railway station is opposite and linked with the airport by walkway bridge.

:o

NBIA

Adjacent to the land reserved for core airport activities, the 8000 acres airport site provides flexibility for the development of real estate activities. An Airport City will take shape in 2006 in the area surrounding the new airport and will involve investments totaling 135 billion baht over 30 years. The Airport City is designed to accommodate financial and commercial services including retail and entertainment businesses in order to attract industry and help Suvarnabhumi Airport compete with other international airports in the region and, as well as, to generate additional substantial revenue to the airport.

A selected list of activities which will complement and enhance the image of Suvarnabhumi Airport is being studied. They include additional hotels, conference/convention halls and exhibition complexes, warehouse facilities in connection with air cargo activities, industrial space and leisure shopping facilities, and industries that are of extremely time-sensitive. A definite master land use plan for the development of strategic real estate activities will be developed not only to generate greater revenue for Suvarnabhumi Airport and AOT but also to contribute to its attractiveness as a major aviation hub.

PRINCIPAL DATA OF SUVARNABHUMI AIRPORT

Name of Airport Conferred by H.M. the King as Suvarnabhumi or “Golden Land on 29 September 2000 and a foundation stone laying ceremony performed on 19 January 2002

Aim of Airport A “national agenda” as the nation’s primer gateway and the aviation hub of the region

Airport Developer New Bangkok International Airport Co. Ltd. (NBIA) established on 27 February 1996 under the Ministry of Transport with AOT as its only shareholder

Airport Operator Airports of Thailand Public Company Ltd. (AOT) as designated by the Government on 10 September 2002

Airport Location Approximately 25 km East of downtown Bangkok

Total Land Area Approximate 8,000 acres

Access 5 main access routes

Opening Day Cost Approximately 155,000 million baht (USD4 billion)

Travel Time from City Centre 35-40 minutes via highways

No. of Runways and Taxiways Two parallel runways (4,000 and 3,700 m. respectively, and 60 m. wide) with 2.2 km. separation. Two parallel taxiways to accommodate simultaneous departures and arrivals. Final Phase: 4 parallel runways, 2 on each side

No. of Aircraft Parking Bays Total of 120 parking bays - 51 with contact gates (5 capable of accommodating A380) and 69 remote gates

Annual Passenger Capacity 45 million at opening day and 100 million upon full development

Cargo Capacity 3 million metric tonnes per year and 6.4 million metric tonnes (Final Phase)

No. of flight operations per hour 76

Passenger Terminal Building A single structure in the north of 563,000 sq. m (world’s largest single building)

7-storey building with two underground floors

PTB total floor area of 185,000 sq. m.

444 m. long and 111 m. wide

2 Concourses total floor area of 378,000 sq. m.

Steel structure with glass and fabric membrane

8 super trusses made of special steel (210 m. long and 38 m. high each). One whole working day to lift up one truss!

3-layered glass rooftop of approximately 40,250 sq. m.

Check-in Counter 10 check-in rows (3 Domestic and 7 International), 18 counters per row

(108 Domestic and 252 International check-in counters)

30 m. wide between check-in islands

Passport Control Counter 120 Immigration Counters

72 Emigration Counters

10 Domestic/International Transfer Counters

58 International/International Transfer Counters

Customs Counter 8 Departures and 26 Arrivals

Baggage Handling 100% hold baggage in-line security screening system

Capable of handling 9,600 bags per hour

20 take-away conveyors from check-in counters

8 Transfer unload conveyors

37 baggage sortation make-up carousels

20 baggage claim carousels

3440-bag international early baggage storage system

720-bag domestic early baggage storage system

Control Tower 132 m. high (tallest in the world)

Apron Control Tower 2 (West and East of Concourse)

Passenger Security Screening 16 at domestic gate lounges and 12 at international concourses

Odd-size Lift 4

Departure Curbside Length 429.25m long and 6.5m wide

Short-term Car Parking Two 5-storey buildings adjacent to PTB with capacity for 5,000 cars. Additional parking areas in the long-term premise with the total parking capacity of over 15,600 vehicles

Long-term Car Parking 6-Zone area with capacity for 4300 cars and 78 buses

Technology Fully automatic baggage handling system

In-line security screening system

Airport Information Management Systems (29 main and 58 sub-systems)

Mass transport (other than road) City rail link (2006) connecting to the centre of Bangkok

Other airlines facilities Cargo Terminals of approximately 568,000 sq. m., northwest of airport with a 24 hour Customs Free Zone for speedy and efficient services

2 aircraft maintenance facilities, each capable of servicing A380 and handling 4 aircraft simultaneously

Catering services capable of producing 65,000 airline meals per day

Other facilities A 600-room landside hotel located in front of the PTB.

Flood protection system – polder construction of 3.5m. high and 70m. width surrounding the airport including 6 reservoirs with capacity of 3.2 million cubic meters of water.

Water supply system connected with water supply system of Metropolitan Waterworks Authority, and water tank with capacity of 40,000 cubic meters for at least two days’ supply.

Main transformer system transforming electricity from 15 to 24 kw

Water treatment system treating 16,000 cubic cm of water daily

A daily 100 ton waste garbage collection system.

The five access routes to Suvarnabhumi Airport are, as follows:

North Access

An 8-lane elevated road linking Bangkok-Chonburi highway leading to the passenger terminal.

Northwest Access

A 6-lane elevated road linking an elevated way from Romklao and King Kaew Road.

South Access

An 4-lane road linking Bangna-Trat highway and the Burabhavithee (East Route) Expressway.

Northeast Access

A 4-lane road linking On Nuch Road.

West Access

A 4-lane road linking King Kaew Road.

City Rail Link

In addition, a city rail link between Phayathai-Makkasan and Suvarnabhumi Airport will be provided by the State Railway of Thailand. The rail link will be available in 2007.

As I understand initially 60% of the total traffic will be moved and then th remaining 40% in phases.

The Don Muang facility will continue to use the maintenance facilities for Deep Checks , Charters, Domestic Carriers (budget), VIP, Air Force, Police and some cargo.

The distance between Don Muang and NBIA is approx. 80km using expressways. It will indeed cause trouble for travelers, operators and businesses. The roads to NBIA are extremely over loaded at current. I can't see relocating on that point as a benefit.

Aircraft do use both runways at the same time. Very common.

All the concessions operating at Don Muang will have the right to move to NBIA at the old rate. Notice how many new shops have opened? Research the new operator of the duty free, parking, concessions, etc...

A new airport is great , but is it really needed?

Good points and bad ones too!

Great post by Ilyushin! :o

The new airport will be great for Pattaya, I have heard it said 'only an hour by road' when the new airport in finished.

DM is not that bad, but poor seating and lack of good food. However quite a few modern airports are disappointing; Narita and even Dubai is too busy; if you can't escape to a business lounge then you will kip on the floor next to thousands of Indians.

The charge of 550 baht at DM is no big deal, it is part of the ticket cost really, up to recently Japan charged 2,000 yen at Narita and even more at Kansai. I seem to remember a similar charge at Manila, for domestic as well; at least the one dollar baggage trolley has stopped....or has it started again?

Some of the world international airports, served by major carriers are a disgrace. I hear that Lagos has improved recently, but some years ago it was a living ######.

Heathrow is too busy, I am struggling to think of a 'good' airport; perhaps Doha?

I reckon property prices in Pattaya due to the new airport;will rise; nice if you own some now; I would say a good time to cash in, because sometime soon a crash like 1997 is coming. I will still be here watching the GBP going back upto 90 and welcoming a busier Pattaya.

Make it 96 bt to the pound and we will be back to those terrible days :o when a £5k spot got you almost 500,000 bt ...which was the price of a condo in "Cool Wind" Patti.......sabai sabai...

Re Suwanna ...whats the latest on the Business Class lounges...gotta get these important things right.....one more flight and I def got my TG.Gold Card.

Incid .K.Wife got hers about a year ago (Star Al) and when we flew with BMI over the weekend to the Dam there was no prob getting the Air Miles and full use of the business lounges at both Heathrow and Amsterdam and they were almost empty :D

She preferes shopping so on both routes I had the place to myself.......all that free booze and not enough time to drink it all. :D Roll on Cobra Creek.....

I don't think it has been mentioned elsewhere in this thread but one possible reason for the move is the need to accommodate the new Airbus A380. Most major airports in the region (i.e. Changi, Chep Lap Kok) are gearing up to host the new aircraft which will in all likelihood become a common sight on the routes to Australia from Europe. Without the facilities to handle both the aircraft and process the large number of passengers disembarking from this aircraft (can you imagine 600 people being bussed to a terminal?) BKK would become a much weaker option for SQ, QF, EK etc. who all have these aircraft on order. The turnaround time of an aircraft is a significant factor in overall operating profitability (and thus becomes almost the sole focus of the low cost operators). Put simply the major operators cannot afford to have expensive assets sitting around for 2 or 3 additional hours while the Thais do the typical Thai thing, and mess everyone about.

If the infrastructure is built to accommodate the A380 from day one then the problems recede and BKK stands a fighting chance of retaining some regional hub status (although in my opinion it is delusional to think of BKK as a true hub, since it simply does not attract the number of business travellers as Changi ET al). Put simply though without either major investment at Don Muang or the new airport, overall flights from major carriers into Thailand would probably reduce rather than increase, with perhaps a greater use of codeshares between the various alliance partners to secure onward connections to BKK from HKG, SIN and other regional hubs.

The reason that the current departure tax is collected manually is due to a huge and presumably ongoing dispute between AOT and the major airlines about landing fees at BKK. The refusal to collect taxes as part of the ticket price was as I understand it part of the airlines response to what they considered to be outrageously high landing fees for the region. The landing fees (as distinct from the departure tax) are collected as part of the ticket price and are usually included as PSC or Passenger Service Charge on those airlines (e.g. BA) who separate out charges in this way. This being Thailand there is no reason to suspect that landing fees will reduce at the new airport (runway cracks or not :o ) so collection of airport taxes in the now customary way is likely to continue for the foreseeable future.

Given the reports on the construction of the new airport it is almost inconceivable that the major airlines will jeopardise their assets and safety reputation by flying aircraft into an airport with a runway in poor condition. AOT will HAVE to allow the representative engineering experts of the major global airlines to conduct surveys of the airport and its facilities prior to opening, this may lead to even further delays, although it is unlikely in this case that the true cause will be widely reported. It is also possible given the ongoing issue of landing fees at BKK that the major airlines will use the issues at NBIA as a major stick with which to beat AOT to secure landing fee concessions.

I don't think it has been mentioned elsewhere in this thread but one possible reason for the move is the need to accommodate the new Airbus A380.

I doubt it, the new Bangkok Airport has been an ongoing project since 1960.

(Edit - Although I am amending this to say that while accommodating the A380 is a possible benefit of the new airport, that's still not to say that Don Muang couldn't be retrofitted to do the same. However, the A380 cannot possibly be an original reason for why a new airport was considered to be needed in Bangkok.)

Edited by ovenman

The new airport will start with two usable runways.  Don Muang only has one as the military side is too close to use both at the same time. 

This may well be true - but it hasn't stopped them from using both runways concurrently, over the past several years, has it ? Or from squeezing-in the golf-course. Good old Thai creativity :D

I suspect the lack of airside-seating at DM is either to create extra space for Duty-Free Shopping, or to encourage waiting-passengers to go shop, rather than sit comfortably.

And I remember the days when there wasn't so much housing and other construction under the flight-paths. People who buy close to a major international airport deserve what they get.

They alternate but do not (AFAIK) use them at the same time as will be the case in the new airport. The golf course has been there for as long as I can remember (and that predates both current International terminals and the old (vip) terminal). :o

As for the flight path the plans for the new airport have been on the table for 30 years so our wait has indeed been patient. When these areas (Latphao) were developed 30 years ago the air traffic was nothing like it is today so to blame those that live here is simplistic to an extreme IMHO. :D

They alternate but do not (AFAIK) use them at the same time as will be the case in the new airport.

As far as I remember, parallel landings are done currently at Don Muang but I wouldn't absolutely swear to that.

When these areas (Latphao) were developed 30 years ago the air traffic was nothing like it is today so to blame those that live here is simplistic to an extreme IMHO.  :D

The new airport has been so long in the making that somebody who lives in its potential flight path couldn't be blamed for not really believing that it would ever come to pass. :o

I need to voice my disapointment with the the transport ministry along with Mr T's handling of the city transport between Suwanapoom and inner city Bangkok.

Some of you might have been following the mega project spending/proposal. For those of who haven't, it basically goes that a few months ago, the government approved some 500+ billion baht in modifying Bangkok's infrastructure via mass transit (surely I wasn't the only one who nearly had an orgasm to hear such great news)

Then the other day, Mr. T comes out saying that it would be cut back almost in half---Cutting back many subway extensions implimenting additional BRT (Bus Rapid Transit) in place :D:D etc. etc. and putting the rest to water problems in Korat...so was the justification.

Anyhow, regarding Suwanapoom....it was only logical in the master transportation plans to revive or atleast utilize the Hopewell plans/existing pillars---the ones that were proved salvageable. And with studies by Asian institute of technology as well as Chula earlier this year, it emperically was feasible. The response at the top by Mr. T, (who happens to benefit with personal assets in the masses reliance on fossil fuel guzzling entities) are along the lines that mass transit is not a major concern, especially since more expressways, mousetrap highways under construction are more than sufficient. whatever whatever, all of us informed and educated can see that your business wouldn't exactly benefit if everyone was riding electric trains instead of buying gas from you!! Who cares about the environment.

What was most impressive when I travelled to SIN, KUL, and HKG the past few years was the efficiency and convenience of the mass transit infrastructure, particularly to/fro the airport and beyond. From Changi, it's so swift to board the MTR with all my luggage right into the city without much hassle...for KL, I didn't commute from their hi-tech airport but did so from the hi-tech train-station which was convenient with the light rale right into KLCC. Then HKG has a great system with the Octopus card, etc. etc. no comparison

With Suwanapoom, they don't seem to be offering anything new that Don Muang didn't have as far as mass-transit goes. There is this one electric train that goes into Makasan along the old hopewell route. Does anyone know if it's supposed to be an elevated train or what the deal is behind this...?

Forget the highways...forget the taxis...limo convenience...they will turn out to be nothing more than a large nuciance when the fossil fuels are all depleeted..

:o:D:D

There is this one electric train that goes into Makasan along the old hopewell route. Does anyone know if it's supposed to be an elevated train or what the deal is behind this...?

It has been reported that the high-speed rail link to the new airport will take three years to complete once the construction contract has been awarded. Does anybody know whether that has ever happened? Last I knew, the contract process was stalled...

Don Muang is no picnic....but how long have you been living in Thailand? The new  Don Maung is so far ahead of the airport they had 20+ years ago that it seems like heaven now compared to the old terminal.

I agree that the recently remodeled Don Muang is rather nice and compares well to other busy major international airports. I have never seen it overcrowded beyond capacity. I always see empty gates. I usally get through customs relatively efficiently. And the departure hall , apart from having too much space devoted to shops, always seems to handle the morning rush hour without problems.

The domestic terminal always seems a bit empty although individual gate areas are crowded before a flight, especially those on the lower level. I never understood why the upper level gates go unused while they stuff people in the small downstairs gates areas.

And with the relatively recent completion of the elevated exprsssways to Don Muang the traffic issue has been greatly improved from the days of two hours to get from the center of the city to the airport.

Don Muang Airport ( International / Domestic) are able to handle any traffic increases for years to come. Read below.

Bangkok International Airport (BIA) serves the most air traffic in Thailand. Nowadays more than 80 airlines are on service and over 25,000,000 plus passengers, 160,000 flights and 700,000 tons of cargo are handled at this airport yearly.

Two Tokyo airports, Narita and Haneda handle 200 000 and 180 000 flights a year respectively and there are no more slots available (at Narita).

I did not know Don Muang was up to 160K, quite impressive.

The meaning of the new airport to me: will probably never set my foot in Bangkok again. All I have and need is on the eastern seaboard anyway.

Gov says rail will be completed by Feb 2006.

:o:D:D:D

Contract commenced earlier this year,intended to be 2 1/2 years (ish) being built by that well known European company "Nemesis", already a 250 day extension of time,due to obstructions on the alignment - the usual sort of thing, squatters, roads, discos, bars etc...........so you're looking at end 2008 b4 the railway opens

so you're looking at end 2008 b4 the railway opens

Given the timetable I have always seen touted for the rail project, that later date sounds much more realistic than five or six months from now. For the rail link to have been completed this coming February, construction should have started in early 2003 which it most assuredly did not.

I am informed that Don Muang is the oldest international airport in the world still in its original location. I'm certainly not one to chuck things over the side simply because of their age, but the infrastructure must be a nightmare.

Will the Snake Pit inherit the old IATA code BKK or has it been assigned a new one?

Yes , I know that it is funny, but that is what they told me. I will see if I can get a copy of the quote from our meeting.  :o

At the same meeting where they insisted that the airport would be open for business on 29 September, right? :D

Edited by ovenman

:D

Contract commenced earlier this year,intended to be 2 1/2 years (ish) being built by that well known European company "Nemesis", already a 250 day extension of time,due to obstructions on the alignment - the usual sort of thing, squatters, roads, discos, bars etc...........so you're looking at end 2008 b4 the railway opens

Hey they did not say a "New Railway" did they :o why a new one when the old one works just fine all they need do is put in a switch lay some track (that is what the new rail bed being built is for?) , and a terminal at the BIA

Not real sure but they said "connection to" not "Brand New"? :D

MRT already has a major terminal at Hua Lampong, so all they need to buy really is some nice AC cars and have no stops Hua Lampong to BIA.

Boom new Rail Link BKK BIA

PS they have already finished a switch and track to Evergreens container port :D I watched them build it. As I take the train from Hua Take to Hua Lampong not less than humm.... forget but every time I do come to BKK. They finished that one in 3 months so don’t laugh this off too dang quick.

Argument points: you can connect by sky train to subway and get off at Hua Lampong, so the fundamental argument is null? And if someone wants to say ohhhh you cheated, they simply put look-alike Sky Train cars at Hua Lampong and say "transfer" :D

And would seem to confirm "connect from sky train to BIA" you just have to transfer from one car to the next. You alternate, you can use MRT and change only once :D

:D After the Makasan station ( how far unknown), the elevated railway will go down from the elevated tracks to use the double-tracked eastern route (already double tracked rails from Hua Mark to Chachoensao) to Lat Krabang and then go up to another elevated way to go across Onnut Road to Suvanabhumi Airport/SBIA's main terminal which can be completed by next Feb. (2/2006) :o . So far, minor construction of elevated track from Lat Krabang to Suvanabhumi Airport/SBIA terminal has been completed. :D

:D

Hey they did not say a "New Railway" did they :o why a new one when the old one works just fine all they need do is put in a switch lay some track (that is what the new rail bed being built is for?) , and a terminal at the BIA

Not real sure but they said "connection to" not "Brand New"? :D

MRT already has a major terminal at Hua Lampong, so all they need to buy really is some nice AC cars and have no stops Hua Lampong to BIA.

Boom new Rail Link BKK BIA

PS they have already finished a switch and track to Evergreens container port :D I watched them build it. As I take the train from Hua Take to Hua Lampong not less than humm.... forget but every time I do come to BKK. They finished that one in 3 months so don’t laugh this off too dang quick.

Argument points: you can connect by sky train to subway and get off at Hua Lampong, so the fundamental argument is null? And if someone wants to say ohhhh you cheated, they simply put look-alike Sky Train cars at Hua Lampong and say "transfer" :D

And would seem to confirm "connect from sky train to BIA" you just have to transfer from one car to the next. You alternate, you can use MRT and change only once :D

Thanks Meelousee! You are do travel that line often and know it well. :D

Great details on the existing and future transport (rail) between the city and new airport. :D Now I know how to get out to your house without driving drunk. :D

later! :D

:D After the  Makasan station ( how far unknown), the elevated railway will go down from the elevated tracks to use the double-tracked eastern route (already double tracked rails from Hua Mark to Chachoensao) to Lat Krabang and then go up to another elevated way to go across Onnut Road to Suvanabhumi Airport/SBIA's main terminal which can be completed by next Feb.  (2/2006) :D . So far, minor construction of elevated track from Lat Krabang to Suvanabhumi Airport/SBIA  terminal has been completed.  :D

:D:D:o:D

So my drawings for a totally elevated railway, standard gauge, 25kV overhead electrified, design speed of 160 kph, with an extension to Don Muang are wrong then ????

I wouldn't want to run any train at 160kph on the existing double track, espcially with wheels on only 1 rail !!!!! :D:D

I don't think it has been mentioned elsewhere in this thread but one possible reason for the move is the need to accommodate the new Airbus A380.

I doubt it, the new Bangkok Airport has been an ongoing project since 1960.

(Edit - Although I am amending this to say that while accommodating the A380 is a possible benefit of the new airport, that's still not to say that Don Muang couldn't be retrofitted to do the same. However, the A380 cannot possibly be an original reason for why a new airport was considered to be needed in Bangkok.)

Very true - I remember when Don Muang was 'updated' to handle the new Jumbo Jet ...the Boeing 747.

The new airport would hardly be a requirement if the Thais would learn aircraft handling and traffic management....but TiT.

It would be quite interesting to learn who previously 'owned' the property that the new airport is being built on, how long they owned it before it was 'sold' for the airport and how much they made ont he transaction.... therein lies a whole big cobra bag of answers to the corruption question. :o Can anyone enlighten us?