Women In The Next 3 Decades

Misty

Hi all,

I've wondered about this statue in Lumpini Park since I first saw it. Anyone know what it's meant to convey? By the title "Women in the Next 3 Decades" I would have hoped for something inspirational or uplifting, but for some reason that's not what this statue does for me.

Some insight appreciated, Misty

post-26189-0-68720400-1295151075_thumb.j

"I would have hoped for something inspirational or uplifting, but for some reason that's not what this statue does for me"

Depends on your perspective.

From a positive stance could be viewed as the fact that the female form is large (which is todays society is generally considered to be a negative thing) yet seems totally at home in her body. This is a form showing a happy carefree woman. It could also be suggestive of the changing views of beauty. Putting aside all health factors here and focusing purely on what is considered aesthetic, at this time slim is considered beautiful. HOwever, centuries ago, larger bodies were considered more beautiful. The artist may wish to have the viewer muse about the changing idea/ideals of beauty. Or may be a take on the fact that the world is becoming bigger (but as the pose seems carefree and happy to me, this doesnt really fit imo)

I personally dont find it depressing, nor uplifting. I find it gives me something to ponder about..which, for me, is what art should do.

Just my thoughts on it. ^_^

Edit: Viewing it again, i think the pose is rather glorious. Love that she is just prancing about in naked bliss (which is what im personally reading from it).

Edited by eek