Thai Birth Certificate

We're off to the UK soon and Mrs CM has read on a Thai website that she will need a translated copy of her birth certificate when she gets to the UK (settlement visa). I'm hard pressed to understand why she might need it but figured I would defer to you guys, does she need to take a translation with her and if so, do you know why?

Thanks in advance

There may be situations where she may want her birth certificate, applying for a National Insurance number for example (see "What to expect at the 'Evidence of Identity' interview" at Applying for a National Insurance number.)

So a certified translation could be useful, and obtaining one in Thailand will be a lot cheaper than doing so in the UK.

Whilst I agree that having a copy of the birth certificate is always useful, I was trying to understand if there was a defined need for it and it doesn't sound as though there is, it just seems to be one of many possible pieces of ID. But thanks all anyway, useful to understand these lesser points sometimes.

If you have to provide a birth certificate you already have one translated, some Times you will be ask to provide one and as already stated 500baht saves a lot of agro in the future. make certain that you get a certified copy with a stamp on it and not just a cheap translation.

Although have not seen any report of legal translations being required in UK if doing this I would also have it registered with the MFA here in Thailand as that makes the translation a legal document worldwide and is not that expensive. I would also do with marriage certificate (although UK officers an Embassy service to get it on UK ledger).

Although have not seen any report of legal translations being required in UK if doing this I would also have it registered with the MFA here in Thailand as that makes the translation a legal document worldwide and is not that expensive. I would also do with marriage certificate (although UK officers an Embassy service to get it on UK ledger).

Ahh, Thankyou Lopburi...you have just answered the question I was just about to ask as I was wondering if I needed to get the wife-to-be's translated birth certificate legalized at MFA (it already has translator's stamp on it). As I have to go there tomorrow anyway with my 'affirmation to marry' documents, then I guess I may as well take her birth certificate translation too.