Price Of Fuel In Your Home Country

tuky

When I was a kid in the US, I recall they listed two octane ratings on every pump. If I remember what my dad told me at the time, we were in a transition period where they had to switch to a single standard for measuring octane and eventually one was phased out which had showed higher numbers for the same gas.

Does anyone know this for sure? Does Thailand use the same rating method as the US uses now? I assumed not, because I don't see why carmakers would want to design engines which require different grades of gas for different markets.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is my math completely wrong, is the above correct?

Last I was aware 95 fuel in Aust. was roughly 37bht per litre?

tukyleith hope your not teaching maths anywhere try dividing the cost in baht by 4.5 it will make Saudi etc more realistic.

Australia last advice average about $1.20 per litre = 37.20 baht

Edited by mijan246

When I was a kid in the US, I recall they listed two octane ratings on every pump.  If I remember what my dad told me at the time, we were in a transition period where they had to switch to a single standard for measuring octane and eventually one was phased out which had showed higher numbers for the same gas.

Does anyone know this for sure?  Does Thailand use the same rating method as the US uses now?  I assumed not, because I don't see why carmakers would want to design engines which require different grades of gas for different markets.

Octane ratings have changed over the years due to technology requirements. Engine compression ratios which is one of several factors in governing the fuel octane rating required have increased to the point where an everyday comparison would be a car of the 60's that required "super" would now run on "standard" octane % (except for the fact standard or today is unleaded this is ok).

Octane ratings do differ as you see here in Thailand 91 & 95. Thailand sell a mixture fuel gasahol where in Australia some shifty operators and large companies actually add to the normal fuel to create a mixture and subsequently increase their profit margin.The law now requires the service station operator to display if it is full fuel or mixture fuel and you make the decision.

Off topic a little but I am sure the quality of diesel sold in Thailand is of poor standard (less refining process hence a fuel oil) There has to be a simple logical reason as to the number of Black Smoke belching diesels on the road:

Lack of maintenance (not changing filters etc etc) covers some cases, old worn systems covers some more cases, lack of fuel injection system maintenance covers some more cases, even incorrect exhaust (big mufflers) cover more cases but when you see new pick-ups belching "black" smoke in normal running mode - (black smoke indicating incomplete combustion) there HAS to be a reason.

Thought only -- if you can buy or supply one commodity(low grade or less refined) cheaper than the real Mckoy and the substitute does the job but adds to polution are you going to forego the extra baht - No especially where there is very little regulatory enforcement and baht in the pocket overides any sense of community spirit.

tukyleith hope your not teaching maths anywhere

Luckily not mate, however perhaps PM thickskin could use my talents in his treasury department?

tukyleith sorry jumped in early with my maths comment without reading that someone else had provided the solution.

mate me thinks PM thickskin may do better with your maths than some of the people he has now. At least your small miscalculation (glad its not my bank) could be corrected - thinks instead PMT peoples just pocket the + (ups) and cover up the - (unders). ( I think there is a game called under & overs never knew until now it was created in the land of smiles.

Does Thailand use the same rating method as the US uses now?

I've always been under the impression that Thailand and the US use different octane measurement systems and that 87 octane in the US is equivalent to the 91 octane petrol sold in Thailand. I don't know this to be a fact however...

When I was a kid in the US, I recall they listed two octane ratings on every pump.  If I remember what my dad told me at the time, we were in a transition period where they had to switch to a single standard for measuring octane and eventually one was phased out which had showed higher numbers for the same gas.

Does anyone know this for sure?  Does Thailand use the same rating method as the US uses now?  I assumed not, because I don't see why carmakers would want to design engines which require different grades of gas for different markets.

Is this a lead?

Octane

"A numerical measure of the anti-knock properties of motor fuel." The higher the number value the stronger the resistance to pre-ignition and knock. Octane is measured using two methods, the research and the motor method. The research method usually gives a higher octane, but is tested in a manner that applies to low-RPM, low load situations. The motor method usually gives a lower number, but relates to high-RPM and high-load applications more closely associated with racing conditions. The average of these two is commonly called the road octane, anti-knock index, or R+M/2. This octane is also the yellow sticker that you see on the pump at your local gas station. Higher octane ratings allow an engine builder to produce maximum power without danger of detonation. Every engine has a different requirement for octane.

http://www.cosbyoil.com/trick.htm

Oh come on, this is so boring!!

cost of things in one country compared to others, means nothing.

the governments just make the cost as much as the public will bear!!  until a riot starts, then they reduce back a little.

even in UK they have pig demo against price last year

in Indonesia have a riot or two when the gov wanted to put price up

its life, and comparisons are nonsense :o  :D  :D

SiamOne, gas makes our cars go. You do understand what our vehicles mean to us don't you?

Oh come on, this is so boring!!

cost of things in one country compared to others, means nothing.

the governments just make the cost as much as the public will bear!!  until a riot starts, then they reduce back a little.

even in UK they have pig demo against price last year

in Indonesia have a riot or two when the gov wanted to put price up

its life, and comparisons are nonsense :o  :D  :D

SiamOne, gas makes our cars go. You do understand what our vehicles mean to us don't you?

Aughie is right. Our vehicles, whether cars or motorbikes, mean a lot to us.

Just think. When gasoline or oil prices go up at the pump (today, record 73 USD/barrel), prices for everything else will go up as well. Trucks, large cargo ships, delivery trucks, etc. all have engines that require oil and gasoline to move. So higher prices at the pump will translate into higher prices for everything we buy.

Reports say that the price of gasoline will most likely rise another 3 or 4 USD/barrel by weeks' end. When will it end? The sky's the limit.

We're pushing 3 bucks a gallon dude. What's a liter anyway man?

1 gallon divided by 4.5 = a litre try picturing a quart and superimpose litre - welcome to the decimal system. :D

:D:D:D

1 gallon = 4.546 09 litres - different in US :D 1 gallon (liquid) = 3.785 411 784 litres

One thinks "The Dude" is from USA so the 1 gallon divided by 4.5 is not correct mijan246 is it ? :D

For your info:-

Volume or Capacity

The S I unit of volume is the cubic metre. However, this seems to be much less used than the litre (1000 litres = 1 cubic metre).To change any of these other units of volume into their equivalent values in litres use the operation and conversion factor given. Those marked with # are exact. Other values are given to an appropriate degree of accuracy.

The litre. There can be some ambiguity about the size of the litre. When the metric system was introduced in the 1790's the litre was intended to match up with the volume occupied by 1 kilogram of pure water at a specified pressure and temperature. As the ability to measure things got better (by 100 years later) they found that there was a mismatch between the kilogram and the litre. As a result of this they had to redefine the litre (in 1901) as being 1.000028 cubic decimetres.

Very handy!

This nonsense was stopped in 1964 when it was ruled that the word "litre" may be employed as a special name for the cubic decimetre, with the additional recommendation that for really accurate work, to avoid any possible confusion, the litre should not be used.

Here the litre is taken as being a cubic decimetre.

barrels (oil) x 158.987 294 928 #

bushels (UK) x 36.368 72 #

bushels (US) x 35.239 070 166 88 #

centilitres x 0.01 #

cubic centimetres x 0.001 #

cubic decimetres 1

cubic decametres x 1 000 000 #

cubic feet x 28.316 846 592 #

cubic inches x 0.016 387 064 #

cubic metres x 1000 #

cubic millimetres x 0.000 001 #

cubic yards x 764.554 857 984 #

decilitres x 0.1 #

fluid ounces (UK) x 0.028 413 062 5 #

fluid ounces (US) x 0.029 573 529 562 5 #

gallons (UK) x 4.546 09 #

gallons, dry (US) x 4.404 883 770 86 #

gallons, liquid (US) x 3.785 411 784 #

litres [l or L] 1

litres (1901 - 1964) x 1.000 028

millilitres x 0.001 #

pints (UK) x 0.568 261 25 #

pints, dry (US) x 0.550 610 471 357 5 #

pints, liquid (US) x 0.473 176 473 #

quarts (UK) x 1.136 522 5 #

quarts, dry (US) x 1.101 220 942 715 #

quarts, liquid (US) x 0.946 352 946 #

================================================

Weights and Measures – Click here to read more about then :o

Now you all know :D

Yours truly, :D

Kan Win :D

Edited by Kan Win

In the UK..

£0.91 per litre = £4.10 per gallon = bt299.3 per gallon  :D

totster  :D

bt299.3 per gallon 

1 gallon = 4.5 litres

1346.85bht per litre??????

am I going crazy?

tukyleith

Tuky... I actually edited before you did, and put the price per litre in as an afterthought.. you must have taken it out.. :o

Anyway it is bt66.5 per litre. :D

totster :D

In the UK..

£0.91 per litre = £4.10 per gallon = bt299.3 per gallon  :D

totster  :D

bt299.3 per gallon 

1 gallon = 4.5 litres

1346.85bht per litre??????

am I going crazy?

tukyleith

Tuky... I actually edited before you did, and put the price per litre in as an afterthought.. you must have taken it out.. :D

Anyway it is bt66.5 per litre. :D

totster :D

Apologies mate, I didn't remove anything you typed, however perhaps my edit stuffed yours up.

Anyway, the thread has proven that the price of fuel in Thailand is fairly consistent with world prices when all factors are considered.

However I still have trouble with my calculation earlier, 6 bottles by 750 ml = 32 litres, feels like it sometimes mind you :o:D

Want cheap gas ? Go to Egypt !

I came back from there last month.

1 liter of premium = 1 Egytian Pound (7.16 baht per liter !)

1 liter of regular = 60 pisaters (4.3 baht !)

That works out to 19.35 baht per (imperial) gallon for regular, or 32.22 baht per (imperial) gallon for premium.

In the UK, that would work out to .058 GBP per liter for regular, or .097 per liter for premium

In US terms, that works out to $0.655 per (US) gallon for premium, $0.3936 for regular.

Egypt produces a relatively small amount of oil from it's Red Sea wells. In terms of it's revenues, oil and gas come in 4th (behind income earned from the Suez Canal, Tourism and exports of Egyptian Cotton products).

I guess they don't tax it anywhere close to what other countries do, if they tax it at all.

Want cheap gas ? Go to Egypt !

I came back from there last month.

1 liter of premium = 1 Egytian Pound (7.16 baht per liter !)

1 liter of regular = 60 pisaters (4.3 baht !)

That works out to 19.35 baht per (imperial) gallon for regular, or 32.22 baht per (imperial) gallon for premium.

In the UK, that would work out to .058 GBP per liter for regular, or .097 per liter for premium

In US terms, that works out to $0.655 per (US) gallon for premium, $0.3936 for regular.

Egypt produces a relatively small amount of oil from it's Red Sea wells. In terms of it's revenues, oil and gas come in 4th (behind income earned from the Suez Canal, Tourism and exports of Egyptian Cotton products).

I guess they don't tax it anywhere close to what other countries do, if they tax it at all.

Have you not considered it's probably subsidized?

I just drove from Spain to the UK via France. Prices were (aprox. differs by Garage):

Spain: 1.009 Euroes per litre (using 1 Euro = 50.4708 Baht - correct today) = 50.93Bht

France: 1.39 Euroes per litre = 70.15 Bht

UK: (M25 motorway it is over the £1, but outside London, but still SE) £0.96 per litre (using £1 = 73.7863 - correct today) = 70.83

Cars guzzling $200 a week

By Alexandra Smith Transport Reporter

September 1, 2005

The cost of running the family car is at an all-time high, a new survey shows, and with petrol prices tipped to reach as high as $1.60 a litre it is only going to get worse for families.

The survey, by the NRMA, found that Australia's most popular family sedans, the Holden Commodore and the Ford Falcon, were costing families $200 a week to run, almost a quarter of the average weekly wage.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/cars-g...5302628743.html

Sydney Morning Herald 1 Sept 2005

Crude oil prices jumped higher today.

$3.30/gallon of gasoline average in northeast part of America.

Now 36 baht/liter for 93 octane gasoline.

Bush releases government oil reserves which might lower gas prices by 1 baht. Thanks George.

Prediction: 4 USD/gallon gas inevitable.

Edited by wrestler7902002

A Bush official came on the radio live to say the EPA via ececutive order is suspending sulfer content standards on oil refining to speed the refining process and ease a shortage on gasoline. This is very serious two of the pipelines which supply gas to the NE of USA are damaged.

WHAT!!! you all still going on about this!!

I am happy to see that there are some good mathematicians out there! :D:D

all your calculations are being destroyed by the day!! the price of oil will be $105 a barrel by the end of the year, so the poor countries people will be paying more.

The cost will increase much more on a % basis, the tax being a major part of the cost in richer countries....so the price at the pump could double in Thailand, but only be 10% more in Uk. :o:D

We're pushing 3 bucks a gallon dude. What's a liter anyway man?

1 gallon divided by 4.5 = a litre try picturing a quart and superimpose litre - welcome to the decimal system.

It's easier to do a Google search on "$3 per gallon in thai baht per liter"

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%243+...G=Google+Search

Gives you:

(US$ 3) per US gallon = 32.7569937 Thai baht per liter

WHAT!!!  you all still going on about this!!

I am happy to see that there are some good mathematicians out there! :D  :D

all your calculations are being destroyed by the day!!  the price of oil will be $105 a barrel by the end of the year, so the poor countries people will be paying more.

The cost will increase much more on a % basis, the tax being a major part of the cost in richer countries....so the price at the pump could double in Thailand, but only be 10% more in Uk. :o  :D

It will double in Thailand because of the past gas subsidies paid for by the government. The subsidy has always been a double-edged sword, but ending it has made Thailand realize what the "true" price of gasoline has been world-wide all along.

It's interesting to note, though, that if the amount of heavy traffic we encountered this past weekend is any indication, it doesn't seem to be fazing or altering the driving habits of Thais. Perhaps when it reaches 60 baht a liter, it will.