What Can I Do About Trash Burning?

BlueEasySleep

Behind where I live people dump piles of trash every day and then burn it.

Not surprisingly it makes everything smell bad, and the smoke spreads around the whole area and probably isn't too good for everyone's lungs.

Can I do anything?

I saw this in the phuket gazette:

http://www.phuketgazette.net/archives/issuesanswers/2011/article1183.html

and called them. No English. Put my thai girlfriend on the phone and the woman basically cussed her out for calling them.

Tired of trash burning every day.

I believe it's against the law to burn stuff in your garden – I know, hard to believe.

When I lived in Rawai, we had regular problems with various neighbours (not just Thais) burning. My Thai girlfriend phoned the Orbortor's office (who confirmed it was illegal) and, each time, an Orbortor truck arrived and officers spoke to the offenders.

The fires were always extinguished immediately.

Some were re-lit 10 minutes later but, after another call to the Orbortor, the truck would arrive again and this time they were never re-lit.

P.S. We now live in a different area with a different Orbortor and have had the same experience here.

Edited by macahoom

how do I find my orbator's number?

Just move it's easier. But don't be surprised if people are burning rubbish where ever you end up. Haven't you read the news the amount of rubbish being generated in Thailand is growing at a phenomenal rate.

• Like 1

Just move it's easier. But don't be surprised if people are burning rubbish where ever you end up. Haven't you read the news the amount of rubbish being generated in Thailand is growing at a phenomenal rate.

Planning to move once the lease is up.

in the meantime it's fairly annoying.

• 1 year later...

I am sorry, but we are not Guests here. Tourists are Guests,expat residents are...Residents. We work, pay the taxes here,make children and mingle with the Thais, possibly in friendly ways. I consider myself a normal citizen of this country,and I have all the rights which every citizen needs to have. I am free to dislike my uneducated neighbour burning garbage every day.I can complain about this with the authority because it is my right to have a decent brethable air in my house and not plastic burning smell. What the outcome will be, that's another story, but staying quiet because we are Guests....and farangs...is not the solution, it is not the way. What about thinking that we are Human beings? Simple like that.

Planning to move once the lease is up.

in the meantime it's fairly annoying.

Imagine if you had bought the house!!!

• Like 1