Star Sports. Outrageous Behaviour; Again!

Wellington

LAst night at 8.05pm we were enjoying a nail biter between Hewitt and Nalbandian

Match at two sets all and middle of fifth when, with no apology or explanation Star shut off the tennis and opened some insignificant soccer game

We pay for a service and should not be treated like this;

anyone else upset?

We have had this happen before with Star.

It's sickening and shows complete disregard for their customers.

I'm very happy for that, waiting all day that "insignificant soccer game"

I also pay my truevisions bill every month and my tv guide shows StarSports, channel 107, tuesday 18th 20.00 Asian Cup 2011 LIVE

Edited by hullupullo

Sounds like the problem is they had no contingency for when a live sporting event runs long. I have seen his dealt with before a by using a split screen, switching back and forth between the two programs, or temporarily switching one of the programs to another channel. They should have planned sufficient bumper time between two events, but that probably looses them to much money.

I also pay my truevisions bill every month and my tv guide shows StarSports, channel 107, tuesday 18th 20.00 Asian Cup 2011 LIVE

You are quite right,of course, but we do feel hard done by; after all The Australian Open is only on once a year

whilst soccer is generally broadcast on at least three channels every night!

A bit one sided

And NO rugby

It seems the Thais don't know much about Rugby, and I still don't know why True Visions think basket ball and rounders is more interesting than the real man's sport.

Are there more American expats than the Brits,French,Welsh,Irish,Aussies who all would be happy to see Rugby ?

I've learn't it's a waste of time putting comments to True or Star; Star banned me the last time I did complain!

They can only see their own point of view and desire nothing more than making money, not friends.

You are quite right,of course, but we do feel hard done by; after all The Australian Open is only on once a year

Australian Open is only on once a year, yes. But Asian Cup is on once in four (4) years. They allready cut off one motorsport news prog so You tennisfans could see that game so long as it was possible.

OP, are you English or American?

You refer to "the insignificant soccer game" which leads me to believe you are American as I believe the English call it football, no? Also, hard to believe any Englishman would consider a football game insignificant......

With that in mind, do the English refer to the ball itself as a soccer ball or a football?

Sounds like the problem is they had no contingency for when a live sporting event runs long. I have seen his dealt with before a by using a split screen, switching back and forth between the two programs, or temporarily switching one of the programs to another channel. They should have planned sufficient bumper time between two events, but that probably looses them to much money.

That's exactly what happened. Like some body else, I was waiting for the footy to start, and was wondering which way they would go, when the game was due to kick off.

I was happy to see the game start, but sympathise with the OP. If I had been glued to that game I would have been gutted. The problem was, they had the other live game on their other channel, otherwise they would have kept them both going. 3 live events in to 2 channels, doesn't go.sad.gif

As for Rugby, yes there would be a lot of people who would enjoy more rugby, but as you said, Thais aren't huge fans, so it's obvious why it doesn't get the coverage. This is Thailand after all, and I'm fairly sure there are more Thai True subscribers than Farang!

With that in mind, do the English refer to the ball itself as a soccer ball or a football?

The game of football is played with a football.

Unfortunately, once upon a time we could just laugh at our American cousins, for using such a silly word, but as often is the case, with their influence around the world, soccer is now the main international word for the game. If you go on English gambling sites they will normally use the word soccer now where as they never used to, because that's the word the world community uses sad.gif

Use it on a play ground in the UK though and you will still get the <deleted> ripped out of you by your mates. biggrin.gif

You refer to "the insignificant soccer game" which leads me to believe you are American as I believe the English call it football, no? Also, hard to believe any Englishman would consider a football game insignificant......

English;

Rugby Football is correct, or Rugger

Round ball football is soccer.

As far as I'm concerned(I'm waiting to be shot down!)

soccer is a game for overpaid ballerinas

Rugby is a game for men.

A bit one sided

And NO rugby

It seems the Thais don't know much about Rugby, and I still don't know why True Visions think basket ball and rounders is more interesting than the real man's sport.

Are there more American expats than the Brits,French,Welsh,Irish,Aussies who all would be happy to see Rugby ?

I've learn't it's a waste of time putting comments to True or Star; Star banned me the last time I did complain!

They can only see their own point of view and desire nothing more than making money, not friends.

If you're into Rugby consider getting ASTRO. Cheaper than TRUE and carry the Aussie Network, Eurosport and also show rugger on the ASTRO sport channels on occasion. Never regretted switching.

Unfortunately, once upon a time we could just laugh at our American cousins, for using such a silly word, but as often is the case, with their influence around the world, soccer is now the main international word for the game. If you go on English gambling sites they will normally use the word soccer now where as they never used to, because that's the word the world community uses sad.gif

Use it on a play ground in the UK though and you will still get the <deleted> ripped out of you by your mates. biggrin.gif

If you have Cable the six Nations SHOULD be on Australia Network and the French Channel 5 or at least some of it Fingers crossed

English;

Rugby is a game for men.

I don't have an issue with your disdain for football, lots of ruby fans have no interest in football. (all healthy red blooded, working class, English men, who didn't get whipped daily at boarding school will obviously love both, along with most other sports biggrin.gif)

But, if you are an English man, you have no excuse for not knowing that the word soccer is American and that it is obviously called football in the UK where the modern game was created. I'm sure you know that really, just being a typical football hater.

Star sports are based in Hong Kong.

I contacted them about 2 years ago when they did the same thing.

All i got was that sponsors paid for their time and if it goes past, bad luck and they are committed to the shedule

I give you another example on Star World.

It was the American Idol season finale about 2 years back and they used to have that lady who did news updates, Deborah Kahn or whatever.

Right before they were to announce the winner of that season they cut to an ad break to add to the suspense but then the news update that announced the winner of American Idol right before cutting back to the show and it was announce there.

Unprofessional tv programming is not uncommon in Asia.

English;

Rugby is a game for men.

I don't have an issue with your disdain for football, lots of ruby fans have no interest in football. (all healthy red blooded, working class, English men, who didn't get whipped daily at boarding school will obviously love both, along with most other sports biggrin.gif)

But, if you are an English man, you have no excuse for not knowing that the word soccer is American and that it is obviously called football in the UK where the modern game was created. I'm sure you know that really, just being a typical football hater.

Don't misunderstand; It's not the game I dislike ; it's a great game if only it were played without all the silly histrionics, the bizarre salaries, the over enthusiastic "fans", the continual "lying down", in other words, clean the game and we would have a clean game

ans stop paying ludicrous amounts to the players and managers.

They could all take a cut of 80% and still be overpaid!

I love how any thread to do with soccer/football/rugby devolves into an opportunity to slag off the American use of the word soccer, (which is also used by Australia, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa among others). How ironic it must seem to you all that soccer is originally a British term. The word was derived from "Association Football, which was the original term given to the game in the 1860s. Brits added an "er" on the end as they did back then, and still do as mentioned above, such as in "Ruggers." That was the term used BY BRITS when the sport came to America. It stuck because American Football was just entering the sporting landscape as well.

And in response to the "rounders" comment, I will point out that soccer players/footballers are equally good athletes as they are actors. World Cup 2010, I got real tired of seeing generally fit, strong players writhe on the field like a wounded duck after a phantom touch. Try that fall down and fake an injury bu$^%hit in a game of basketball, baseball (as Derek Cheater recently learned) or American football and you will not only become a huge target by media and other players, but you'll get laughed off the "pitch". That makes soccer unwatchable for me. A bit like watching professional wrestling. In fact the American team complained about floppers it in the last World Cup.

Online gambling sites use soccer obviously because there is no mistake what that means. Use "football" and clarification is needed if there is no context.

And if BM's are going to slag on a sport for being too girly, then you maybe you should use cricket. Dress pants and collared shirts? Come on. :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-9RFiLRx9w

Edited by ScubaBuddha

English;

Rugby is a game for men.

I'm a Yank and agree with this.:D

English;

Rugby is a game for men.

And your ancestors came from ..... :whistling:

English;

Rugby is a game for men.

I think a huge reason it's never taken off in America is because of the word........................soccer. You almost hear a "her" in the word, just sounds feminine, and then the little shorts, and the hugging on each other after scoring......

I think if in the states they changed the name to world football, it might be more interesting.

Try that fall down and fake an injury bu$^%hit in a game of basketball, baseball (as Derek Cheater recently learned) or American football and you will not only become a huge target by media and other players, but you'll get laughed off the "pitch".
Naw, the way those basketball players flop frequently during a game is accepted by commentators, audience and other players, just to get an offensive foul. And there was some talk about Jeter, but in general nothing overly negative, at least not during other games.

Still, as a European, way prefer basketball over ruggers or cricket.

I think a huge reason it's never taken off in America is because of the word........................soccer. You almost hear a "her" in the word, just sounds feminine, and then the little shorts, and the hugging on each other after scoring......

I think if in the states they changed the name to world football, it might be more interesting.

Football is huge in the States now, and has been for a long time. As usual, because of their number and wealth, they're pretty good now.

It was a lot funnier laughing at them for calling it soccer when they were unable to beat us. Those days are long gone. sad.gif

Try that fall down and fake an injury bu$^%hit in a game of basketball, baseball (as Derek Cheater recently learned) or American football and you will not only become a huge target by media and other players, but you'll get laughed off the "pitch".
Naw, the way those basketball players flop frequently during a game is accepted by commentators, audience and other players, just to get an offensive foul. And there was some talk about Jeter, but in general nothing overly negative, at least not during other games.

Still, as a European, way prefer basketball over ruggers or cricket.

Thought net ball was a game for girls schools mainly

And it's rugger not ruggers!

Why does the amount they get paid bother you? Football generates massive sums of money, yes? Take away the 22 people on the pitch, and you aren't left with much in the way of entertainment. So who should the money go to?

Furthermore, i don't see football players getting any more than tennis players, F1 drivers, basketball players, golfers etc. I take it you have a problem with all sports stars who earn big money?

Why does the amount they get paid bother you? Football generates massive sums of money, yes? Take away the 22 people on the pitch, and you aren't left with much in the way of entertainment. So who should the money go to?

Furthermore, i don't see football players getting any more than tennis players, F1 drivers, basketball players, golfers etc. I take it you have a problem with all sports stars who earn big money?

Formula one drivers deserve every penny, their lives are on the line every race;

Tennis players are exhibiting individual skill of a high order as are golfers

soccer players merely exhibit tantrums and exhibitionism. anyone can do that!

Formula one drivers deserve every penny, their lives are on the line every race;

Tennis players are exhibiting individual skill of a high order as are golfers

soccer players merely exhibit tantrums and exhibitionism. anyone can do that!

So why don't they?