Full Passport With Overstay

I currently have 8 months overstay and my passport is full.(no room for any more stamps)

So i have 2 questions.

1. When I get a new passport do I need to transfer my last entry stamp at the immigration office or can I take the new and the old passports to the airport to depart?

2.When I try to leave will they just charge me the 20,000 baht for maximum overstay or is there a new rule about maximum overstayers doing jail time now?

I would suspect you going anywhere near an immigration office with a new passport in hand could result in you being arrested on the overstay, and having to spend some time as a guest of Thailand's finest.....interesting bind you have yourself in BTW....other than being full, is the passport still valid ?

Personally I would go the airport with both passports in hand + your ticket out + THB 20k.

Id leave the country via Suvarnabhumi with 20k cash in hand, collect my receipt and be on my way. don't listen to the doom sayers here. dealing with it before you are ready to leave the country would be moronic.

id give myself a bit of time before the flight departed though.

it is actually not a quandry at all (if, as Southpeel points out, it is still valid). you do not need a page for your exit stamp. the stamp goes with the old visa or entry stamp.

I would report the old passport lost (to avoid having it cancelled), get a new passport, leave the country on the old passport and then begin using the clean one.

Edited by nocturn

The procedure is to visit immigration for transfer of entry/passport information into the new passport and with that long an overstay I suspect airport may enforce it and flight would be missed. You will be charged 20k and need to have tickets out that day. If you do this respectfully I suspect you will be allowed to depart (if no police warrants are found).

Thanks for the quick responses.Yes my passport is still valid.

@ nocturn surely if I report my passport lost it will then be canceled causing me more problems.

But its a good idea to just leave on the full passport and arrive elsewhere(I was thinking Cambodia on the new one)

@ nocturn surely if I report my passport lost it will then be canceled causing me more problems.

But its a good idea to just leave on the full passport and arrive elsewhere(I was thinking Cambodia on the new one)

My advice: follow lopburi3's advice.

Id leave the country via Suvarnabhumi with 20k cash in hand, collect my receipt and be on my way. don't listen to the doom sayers here. dealing with it before you are ready to leave the country would be moronic.

id give myself a bit of time before the flight departed though.

it is actually not a quandry at all (if, as Southpeel points out, it is still valid). you do not need a page for your exit stamp. the stamp goes with the old visa or entry stamp.

I would report the old passport lost (to avoid having it cancelled), get a new passport, leave the country on the old passport and then begin using the clean one.

dam_n dude don't try to get this guy in any more trouble then he is already in. Since they started using computers for all of your exit/entries in Thailand you have to be careful. Like he says, if he reports this one stolen and then tries to use it to leave the country he will definetly end up with a free room in Bang Kwan Guest House. This is a NO NO !!!!!!!!!!!

Also depending where your from, when I applied for my new Canadian passport in Bkk and got is withing 7 days (hard to believe) they handed it to me with all of the last stamps etc already transfered into the new one and marked. I don't know of any country that actually has to take their own passport into ANY Immigration office and do this on your own but if I'm wrong someone please correct me?

Also true that if you are in no need of any more stamps in your passport before leaving LOS's then for sure just pay the 20k at the airport when you leave and apply for a new passport in your own home country.

I have an 18k one in mine that gets laughs when I visit countries to renew my T Visa.

Passport Fraud is frowned upon more then any other kind of document fraud in the world so if you plan on leaving your country ever again I suggest just fess up and pay and DO NOT do what "nocturn" suggests. :)

You can not use your old passport as that will be canceled upon issue of a replacement (or report of loss). As you do not have any place for stamps you must obtain a new passport. The fact is you have overstayed a long period of time and will have to pay 20k and immediately depart the country. If you follow procedures you will likely avoid any time in jail.

Not that it will happen but Cambodia has been known to refuse entry to overstays in the past; enough so that Thai border immigration posts had warnings that if refused entry they had no option than to arrest you for illegal entry on return and hold you for deportation from Bangkok. Believe this warning has been removed from websites so policy may have changed - but it did seem to happen in the past.

It seems you have two options.

1) Go to the airport with your old, full passport. Pay the overstay fine, exit stamp goes with entry stamp. Go back to the UK, no entry stamp hence full passport not an issue. Get a new passport in the UK. End of story.

2) Anywhere other than the UK will want to put an entry stamp in your passport. Hence full passport a problem. Get a new passport in Thailand and chose what course of action you prefer from the other posters suggestions. Story continues......

I know what I'd do, but I am very cautious on these matters since I do not want to prejudice in any way my ability to stay in Thailand.

Just to clear things up a bit.I have a U.K. passport and was planning to fly to Cambodia.

No country (especially Cambodia) is going to allow you entry if your passport is full so when you are refused entry you might just have to turn around and go back into Thailand where you will be arrested right there and then or look for a flight back to the UK leaving the Phnom Penh airport.

It has already been said here you have the best option of getting a new passport while your in Bangkok but like they say for UK'rs this is now done through HK.

Som nam na