Koh Lanta - Best Route From Chiang Mai

Amapola

Two ways apart from Taxi and plane.

Bus or train. Bus to Bangkok then overnight bus to Krabi and minibus to Koh Lanta.

A more comfortable option is train to Bangkok and again overnight train to Trang then minibus to Koh Lanta. The minibus office for Koh Lanta is right opposite Trang station.

Second class train ticket is just fine unless you're traveling with a companion and want a bit of a romantic train journey then go for first class where you get a two bunk cabin to yourselves.

;)

Two ways apart from Taxi and plane.

Bus or train. Bus to Bangkok then overnight bus to Krabi and minibus to Koh Lanta.

A more comfortable option is train to Bangkok and again overnight train to Trang then minibus to Koh Lanta. The minibus office for Koh Lanta is right opposite Trang station.

Second class train ticket is just fine unless you're traveling with a companion and want a bit of a romantic train journey then go for first class where you get a two bunk cabin to yourselves.

;)

can you recommend a bus company so that to travel from CM straight to Krabi?

can you recommend a bus company so that to travel from CM straight to Krabi?

As far as I know there are no direct bus routes to Krabi. Normally, CM > BKK > Krabi. Also, if there were it would be a pretty tiring trip of around 24 hours. With the train for at least half the trip you can sleep.

You might look through these to determine your method and costs.

Thai Railways

Bus time tables

Sombat-Tour do 2-3 per-day CM-Hua Hin, bypassing Bangkok, where you'd then pick up on a bus heading further South, I think.

If not for the no-plane restriction, you might try Air-Asia direct from CM to Hat-Yai, then bus/minibus (3-4 hours ?) to Trang or Krabi, and minibus on to Koh Lanta. It might just about be possible to make it same-day ?

Sombat-Tour do 2-3 per-day CM-Hua Hin, bypassing Bangkok, where you'd then pick up on a bus heading further South, I think.

If not for the no-plane restriction, you might try Air-Asia direct from CM to Hat-Yai, then bus/minibus (3-4 hours ?) to Trang or Krabi, and minibus on to Koh Lanta. It might just about be possible to make it same-day ?

Ricardo, and where can I buy tickets for Sombat buses? So you mean I need to get off in Hua Hin or BKK?

Ricardo, and where can I buy tickets for Sombat buses? So you mean I need to get off in Hua Hin or BKK?

Buy tickets at Arcade Bus-Station as usual, they have early-evening & mid-evening departures, plus (I'm unsure on this) possibly an early-morning one.

It by-passes Bangkok, so you get off in Hua-Hin early-morning (6.30 or 8.30 ish), and aim to pick-up a ride on a Bangkok to Trang/Krabi bus, as it comes South ? No idea when that might be. The advantage is to avoid Bangkok !

So thanks for all tips!

That`s what I did at Last )maybe wil be useful for someone later) -

at Arcade bus station I bought a ticket from a booth with GOVERNMENT BUSES sign (it s closer to the exit not in parallel arranged booths). I already had good experience with government buses travelling fron Ko Samui to CM. So you can buy a ticket to BKK there, but the time didn`t suit me and the girl from these buses bought for me a ticket from other comapany (SRITAWONG TOUR) with departure 7.20 am for approx. 600 Baht.

The bus arrives to BKK at 4 - 4.30 pm. Then you need to change for SOUTHERN bus terminal (around 40 mins by taxi, as she said). From there I have a bus to Krabi leaving at 20.00 (this is government bus, and the ticket I bought from Arkade station), costs around 600 Baht.

So that makes 1200 Baht CM-BKK, + expect 300 Baht for ferry from Krabi to Lanta.

I also enquired at railway station - but timetables are not that good - a big lap between trains...and I prefer personally buses.