Is Chiang Mai Generally Safe For Foreigners?

Yelly

Last week marked the second anniversary of the murder of a friend of mine, David Crisp, here in Chiang Mai. I wonder what his contribution to this discussion might have been......

I personally knew three other local people who have been murdered here, not to mention a few more high profile Farang deaths we all know about. I've lived in several places in the world, yet this is the only city I've had personal experience of people being murdered. Not trying to say Chiang Mai is unsafe, but it's not a perfect paradise either.

Some thing many visitors are not aware of are the very large number of illegal immigrants living here who aren't allowed to work so live by other means, and the very serious Yaabaa abuse problem in Chiang Mai. A potent cocktail :o

And when the wheel's do fall off the wagon, Thailand is not somewhere you will find any kind of justice apart from rough justice.

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am shifting toward extended stays in CM prior to retiring full time there. I know CM as regular visitor but don't really know the resedential areas of the Muang. I shall be looking at 1-3 month stays at first: are there any areas that I should avoid living in from a safety point of view?

If you are humble, you are safe.

Don't bargain those 10 bht 20bht.

Thais are not really good driver or rider, so cross the road with extra care.

Night Bazaar area is a hazard, if I were a Farang, I would not wanna step in there.

Remember to tip the local well if they provide good service to you.

Don't argue with the locals.

* HUMBLE

I saw this incident at a resort in Northern Thailand, a Farang in his 50's with only a towel wrapped across his waist , banging on the front counter and cursing loud. Poor reception cannot handle him. Just because that the heater ain't working. He swear and curse!!!!! I was at the lobby witnessed the whole incident. This is a very bad example!!!!!!

Edited by sunnyhor

This is just a suggestion.

You are correct, it's not compulsory to tip in Thailand.

But if someone provide good service, I will always tip them handsomely.

Remember to tip the local well if they provide good service to you.

Would that make him/her feel safer? :rolleyes: A tip is not expected in Thailand (BIB are an exception)