Acer Aspire Notebook Query

manizy

Hi guys.

Has anyone used the new Acer Aspire 3603NWXMi. This is a new one from the company and is available only in Thailand so far. I'd like to buy one next week when I visit Thailand. Any suggestion will be appreciated. Thanks.

Cons

----------------

not much RAM (256)

celeron

no integrated bluetooth

integrated graphics

400MHz FSB (older chipset) thus no DDR2 etc

spend a little extra on a more advanced acer model and you can get the latest stuff

Edited by Hikage

Actually, Hikage, it's the newer chipset (910). But since it's being used with a celeron, it's run at 400FSB, BUT with DDR2. The newer chipset for the Pentium M is the 915 (old=855) and for the Celeron M it's the 910 (old 852).

As for ram, it's about the easiest (and cheapest) thing to upgrade on a notebook (other than the harddisk).

It's got some nice features and some compromises, but what can you expect from something this cheap? Only 33,900 baht (MSRP). If you want everything (DVD-writer, crystalbrite, Pentium M, ATI graphics, lots of ram, bluetooth, etc) you're going to be paying a lot more than that.

BTW, according to Acer's brochure, there's a promotion going on. Buy any notebook, and get a 2-month free subscription to True's ADSL. Also, you can buy an extended warranty (3 years... from 1 year standard) for 2,990 baht.

Edited by Firefoxx

Actually, Hikage, it's the newer chipset (910).  But since it's being used with a celeron, it's run at 400FSB, BUT with DDR2.  The newer chipset for the Pentium M is the 915 (old=855) and for the Celeron M it's the 910 (old 852).

As for ram, it's about the easiest (and cheapest) thing to upgrade on a notebook (other than the harddisk).

It's got some nice features and some compromises, but what can you expect from something this cheap?  Only 33,900 baht (MSRP).  If you want everything (DVD-writer, crystalbrite, Pentium M, ATI graphics, lots of ram, bluetooth, etc) you're going to be paying a lot more than that.

BTW, according to Acer's brochure, there's a promotion going on.  Buy any notebook, and get a 2-month free subscription to True's ADSL.  Also, you can buy an extended warranty (3 years... from 1 year standard) for 2,990 baht.

I take your point re the FSB, I erred there, but I only paid an extra 10K or so and got all that better stuff (Pentuim , faster FSB, ATI etc, more RAM, BT). I think it's worth paying a little more for these features as let's face it... they ARE the computer.

Well, the one distinguishing thing about this one is the DVD-writer. You can't get any other Acer with a DVD writer for less than 49k.

It really depends on the budget, and the needs of the buyer. Frankly, I think that this model is more than enough for most... it can't play modern games and it's not super fast, but it's more than enough for work.

Well, the one distinguishing thing about this one is the DVD-writer.  You can't get any other Acer with a DVD writer for less than 49k.

It really depends on the budget, and the needs of the buyer.  Frankly, I think that this model is more than enough for most... it can't play modern games and it's not super fast, but it's more than enough for work.

Ok, I was merely bringing this to the attention of the OP who may consider the higher spec and may not have been aware of the technical limitations of the machine. Also, he did not state the intended usage not to mention future OS, Longhorn etc... give me that much at least.. sheesh :o

Well, yes, we look at different things.

I consider the DVD writer to be pretty important, since CD writing is getting a bit "tight" right now, and DVD-writing is inexpensive and common. Since you can't upgrade it (from a CD writer), it's good to have it already installed. Since getting my DVD writer, I rarely write to CDs any more (except for distribution of files).

The screen is also important, again non-upgradeable.

The CPU and graphics is important *if* you're going to be doing stuff like 3D games and video editing. Otherwise, the cheaper combos are good enough. Of course, you need to think to the future, since you can't change them.

RAM is upgradeable and very cheap. Same goes for the harddisk (you can buy a 5400rpm 2.5" 60GB notebook harddisk for less than 5k baht).

Of course, there is also the issue of portability, weight, and ergonomics. But these things are only a "choice" for people with $$.

BTW, Synnex (www.synnex.co.th) is offering BTO (built-to-order) notebooks. In other words, a "bare" notebook without CPU/ram/HDD that you can customize. The interesting thing is that their smaller one, weighing 2KG, with a 12" clearbrite screen, costs only 22k baht (bare). It's pretty rare to see a small notebook at this price. Of course, the build quality is only so-so, but this might be a good option for those who want small but cheap (nice screen too).

Well, yes, we look at different things.

I consider the DVD writer to be pretty important, since CD writing is getting a bit "tight" right now, and DVD-writing is inexpensive and common.  Since you can't upgrade it (from a CD writer), it's good to have it already installed.  Since getting my DVD writer, I rarely write to CDs any more (except for distribution of files).

The screen is also important, again non-upgradeable.

The CPU and graphics is important *if* you're going to be doing stuff like 3D games and video editing.  Otherwise, the cheaper combos are good enough.  Of course, you need to think to the future, since you can't change them.

RAM is upgradeable and very cheap.  Same goes for the harddisk (you can buy a 5400rpm 2.5" 60GB notebook harddisk for less than 5k baht).

Of course, there is also the issue of portability, weight, and ergonomics.  But these things are only a "choice" for people with $$.

BTW, Synnex (www.synnex.co.th) is offering BTO (built-to-order) notebooks.  In other words, a "bare" notebook without CPU/ram/HDD that you can customize.  The interesting thing is that their smaller one, weighing 2KG, with a 12" clearbrite screen, costs only 22k baht (bare).  It's pretty rare to see a small notebook at this price.  Of course, the build quality is only so-so, but this might be a good option for those who want small but cheap (nice screen too).

LOL, don't dispute what you say for a second... again, was merely pointing out an alternative. OK bro? LOL

I just bought an Acer 4152 NLCI and I upgraded my Ram FROM 512MB TO 2 Gb and it cost me 13,000 baht.

I have been so busy since yesterday I haven't even turned it on yet.

It is good enough for me or it will be by the weekend.

quote firefoxx

BTW, according to Acer's brochure, there's a promotion going on. Buy any notebook, and get a 2-month free subscription to True's ADSL. Also, you can buy an extended warranty (3 years... from 1 year standard) for 2,990 baht.

I didn't realise that so I will get that done asap. Thanks