Need Ideas For Students Visiting Bangkok Area

roman50

Greetings,

A teacher friend, with twelve 17 year old students, will be visiting the Bangkok area for 8 days in the third week of February. Coming from France. They will be on a limited budget .

They are looking for ideas for the visit that will appeal to seventeen year olds as well as what will be allowed by their chaperones.

Temple, market, cultural show with traditional music and dance, nature visits, ect…

Also high on their list is to meet with other students their age.

Thanks for sharing your ideas. If you have any contacts for cultural exchanges with local high school students, school web sites or other ideas, please send a PM.

Best Regards

A late afternoon walk around Lumphini Park is a scenic and cheap way to see nature in Bangkok whilst on a limited budget. If you can arrange minivans, perhaps a trip to Hua Hin, The Bridge Over the River Kwai, the Erawan Waterfall and the big pagoda in Nakhorn Pathom could be an interesting day trip.

In regards to meeting students, try contacting Kasetsart University and see if they're open to arranging some time with students from the Sathit Kaset (the "high school" attached to Kasetsart University). I've heard of this being done before.

The River Ferries are cheap and a great way to see some of the temples but also just a nice time to take the ferry up and down the river.

Also you can go to Chatuchak week-end market and park but be sure to go to the much bigger Queen Sirikit park right across the street. It is a little hard to find but right next to Chatuchak park. At Queen Sirikit park you can rent bicycles cheap and spend the better part of the day walking the entire park. They also have a public pool. One thing you won't see here though is the monitor lizards you will find at Lumpini park but there are lots of various trees and flowers that are marked with names. Be sure to pick up some bread too as I am sure they will get a kick and seeing all the fish that will appear when fed .. especially at Lumpini.

somdejmap_queen_siridit_park.jpg

If they want to see beautiful tropical waters without going to far you can take the 40 minute 30 baht ferry from Pattaya to Koh Larn.

You might also might do some checking to see about group/student discounts to various venues such as the temples, zoo/safari world as well maybe renting a can or two with drivers for a couple days. The BTS and MRT also offer great rates for students but not sure if and how they would work not being students in Thailand.

On the negative, don't be tempted by the science museum near Ekkamai it's a complete waste of time. The planetarium on the same site is better but dated and the aquarium is small, (ten minutes max) and not a patch on the expensive Siam Ocean World (although the latter group rates for Thais and WP-bearing farang teachers (if any) might be quite economical).

Paragon food court has large aquaria you can sit a watch the fishes while they (the students) feed.

Siriraj Hospital near Pinklao bridge has a medical museum with plenty of gruesome exhibits and an interesting section on parasitology. 40THB a head http://www.si.mahidol.ac.th/museums/en/index.htm

A big thanks for the replies so far. Will research the provided info. Any more ideas?

Regards, Roman

http://www.pattayain...rk_bangkok.html

Check out some info on this park and keep in mind it is actually much bigger because there are a number of connecting parks. I love going here and am sure the students will too but it also can be very educational and tons of great photo opportunities. The nice thing too is it is right next to the famous Chatuchak Market where I'm sure they would enjoy seeing all the stuff on sale as well as having an coconut ice cream. I am not a big fan of crowded markets but need to go there once in a while to get my fix of ice cream served in a coconut.

One of the greatest things about this park too it is virtually empty compared to Lumpini or Chautuchak as it is hard to find and you really can't see it from the road. It is also the only place I know in BKK where you can go and not feel like you are in the city because you can neither hear nor see cars.

Edited by Nisa