Why Do Aussie's Live In Thailand?

Belfastboy

I'm baffled to know why Australians choose Thailand over Australia...??

apart from living in LOS for work, wife, business...

why on earth would u live in thailand???

After living in Australia for over a year...and being to Thailand several hundred times...

Australians seem to have a great country, weather and lifestyle...

i know where i would choose to move if i could...! only for the thai mrs i would be there like a shot....!!

i can understand us Brits going ...plain and simple the weather..unless you are a fat balding drop out of course...lol :o

Australia is very cheap especially up the coast....u can easily get land and a decent beachfront house dirt cheap...plus the security of a western lifelstyle...just baffles me...

come on u aussies...lets hear ya....most of them are in london anyhow....drowning their sorrows after the cricket..... :D

THIS website tells us that Aust. has 132,000 kilometres of coastline which laid out in a straight line is 3 times the circumference of the Earth.

Leaves this statement very open Belfastboy...

Australia is very cheap especially up the coast....u can easily get land and a decent beachfront house dirt cheap...plus the security of a western lifelstyle...just baffles me...

no tax

You dont have the pigs banging down your door ever time you fart in the wrong direction

Weather in thailand I think is much better than Australia depending where in Aus you come from. Where I lived it was very hot in summer and very cold in winter

Thailand still has alot more fredom compaired with Aus. No speed camaras. No breath testing stations ever few km. Maybe a bit more lawless wich I think is a good thing

Australia for me became so boring at a young age. Thailand was like a new lease on life which gave me more drive to achevie more in my life. :o

Edited by Rigger

" No speed camaras. No breath testing stations ever few km. Maybe a bit more lawless wich I think is a good thing"

i would have thought this was a very good reason to choose australia over thailand due to number of car accidents and ######s driving drunk....

well i was watching a tv prog the other night about brits moving to 0z....somewhere in north new south wales on the coast....

really nice house for 80k sterling...bargain... so big and right on the beachfront...

Sure it's a bargain while you still convert UK pounds to the Aussie dollar... but, once you are earning Aussie dollars everything becomes more expensive.

Having said that, there are some cool places in Oz to live cheaply... a looong way from any capital city. It's all relative Watson! Again, it depends on what you want in life. For western living Oz is great. Some of us just get bored with it is all! :o

80k sterling = 190,939.99 AUD

You cannot buy a house in the suburbs of Perth for that (The cheapest place in Aust. to live) never mind a place on the beach. Unless you are buying a place in the sticks (strine for 300 kilometres from anywhere else).

Have a look at the pinned topic in the realestate forum and see my house which cost a lot less than that.

Lifestyle in Thailand is a lot better per $ than it is in Aust.

" No speed camaras. No breath testing stations ever few km. Maybe a bit more lawless wich I think is a good thing"

i would have thought this was a very good reason to choose australia over thailand due to number of car accidents and ######s driving drunk....

I think they drive better when there drunk :o

clearly there are pros and cons.....yes when u are earning the aussie dollar in australia it becomes more relative....

but surely the same applies for thailand..when u are earning the baht things get grimmer.....

this tv prog...called ' a place in the sun'

showed a couple around i think it was jacrundi? a purple tree is named after the area...

but the houses were top class...ranging from 80k - 125k sterling and i mean georgeous houses.....swimming pool beach views...so it is there just have to find it...

i suspect u take out the women factor out of thailand and it wouldnt look so appealing then..... :o

but i guess its as your man says...its what u want out of life....

i for one am prepared to give thailand a go in exactly 2 years me and the mrs are moving..... :D

i suspect u take out the women factor out of thailand and it wouldnt look so appealing then.....

in all honesty, if my wife divorced me I would still call Thailand home. Life in Thailand is all that I personally have ever wanted. I have worked/lived in several countries and Thailand beats them all, for many reasons.

yes that sounds correct...! jacaranda.....

so what do u like about living in thailand guys? im moving there soon....

the only thing that worries me is the lack of farang friendship..im afirad of being isolated....

how have u found this aspect of thai life???

yes that sounds correct...! jacaranda.....

so what do u like about living in thailand guys? im moving there soon....

the only thing that worries me is the lack of farang friendship..im afirad of being isolated....

how have u found this aspect of thai life???

It doesn't matter where you move to... it always takes time to meet like-minded people. It depends on where you live in LOS and how many farangs also live there. I personally found that it took about 2 years to sort out some good friendships. It's a struggle though. You are a long way from your comfort zone and it takes special people to call true friends when you live in a faraway land with limited 'quality' social contacts.

khall is corect, you canot make true friends straight away, perhaps the farng you eet first off will not be the people you mingle with after 2 years, in turn they may not be the folks you hang out with after 10 years.

Take it as it comes...

sound advice guys.....

do u work here? yeah i reckon just a farnang mate to watch the footie withj...go for a beer the odd time...i bet u guys know the feeling...

its bangkok for me....where u guys based????

whats your fav things about living there?????

sound advice guys.....

do u work here? yeah i reckon just a farnang mate to watch the footie withj...go for a beer the odd time...i bet u guys know the feeling...

I'm in Phuket... and for my first 2 yrs here I was never home. I was always out at night because of my job. Everybody had an invitation for me, every night of the week. I quit my job and went freelance. The invitations, dried up as I knew they would. And I did not mind one little bit. Now I know who my true friends are :o

sound advice guys.....

Working in the middle east and based near Nongbaulampu

Best thing about living here would be never having to do something today that can be put off untill tomorrow :o

Edited by Rigger

khall is corect, you canot make true friends straight away, perhaps the farng you eet first off will not be the people you mingle with after 2 years, in turn they may not be the folks you hang out with after 10 years.

Take it as it comes...

Hi tukyleith

Where abouts are you based as we seem to have a bit in comon such as working in the oil field, Living in LOS, Two kids, Thai wifes, I suppose it would be to much to ask for if you where living in Isaan and was into motorcycles ????

5 years in LOS dont know anyone with a Aussie passport

Edited by Rigger

then again the aussies and irish seem to more on the same wave length more than the english :o

OMG... I don't think I'd like to be on the same wavelength as the Aussies and Irish.. :D

Just because they're on the same wavelength doesn't mean to say they make any sense to normal people.. :D

totster :D