Car Buying

justaphase

Whats the procedure when buying a car and transferring the blue book with a private sale?

I bought an old car of this Thai guy.. paid him 7 grand a month for 2 months, the 3rd and last payment is the end of this month.

But still no sign of the blue book. Is it entirely up to him? What do i have to do? (if anything?)

How long/easy is it for him to do?

I'm kinda hoping there is no book cos i don't have the money yet!!

Did you see and check the rides details are correct in the blue book ?

No, he said it was his grandads and he was selling it for him.. like i said, its an old s#itter.. 30,000 baht. So i guess i was kinda lapse..He gave me a copy of the book page... car details are correct, but it says the owner is 34...

Hmm. Where do i stand..? I don't even know where he lives.

I need a car to drive my pregnant gf to hospital.. so its not a complete waste of money. I just want an idea what to do when/if he comes at the end of the month to collect the final 7000 baht payment...

When the guy comes you ask to see the book no book no more money.

If he is genuine he will take you along to the nearest local government car reg place with the documents required and get it changed

to your girlfriends name, which would be easier and then you can give him the rest of the dosh.

He will need the book for the car, a copy of the person who owns it details ID card, House book etc.

You need your girlfriend and her ID and her house book or confirmation of address.

Take the car to carry al the photcopies of paper.:lol::D

Edited by Kwasaki

At the price the OP paid I very much doubt there will be finance on it. it not being his car to sell is a different matter.Did you get a receipt for the money you paid for the car to cover you in case it is dodgy ? :o

Edited by H2oDunc

At the price the OP paid I very much doubt there will be finance on it. it not being his car to sell is a different matter.Did you get a receipt for the money you paid for the car to cover you in case it is dodgy ? :o

Ermm, no.:(. But i still have 7000 left to pay at the end of this month.

No book and transfer, no more money.

If he demands the car back, you must give it back. Without any purchase documents, the owner can at any time report the car stolen, and you are the tief.

If he demands the car back, you must give it back. Without any purchase documents, the owner can at any time report the car stolen, and you are the tief.

But if he has no documents for the car, can HE still report it stolen..?

The owner or anyone permitted to use the car can report it stolen. Permission can be verbal with witnesses, or in writing

Hey buddy !! please just take the advice, and please let us know what happens.:rolleyes:

Edited by Kwasaki

If he did not have the book it may be in the hands of a finance company, if that's the case they may be looking for the car.

for a 30,000 Baht car? :o

He paid 30,000 but doesn't necessarily mean it was WORTH 30,000, thieves undervalue cars all the time to get rid of them quicker, though taking payments kind of defeats that purpose.... But your point is taken...

If he did not have the book it may be in the hands of a finance company, if that's the case they may be looking for the car.

for a 30,000 Baht car? :o

He paid 30,000 but doesn't necessarily mean it was WORTH 30,000, thieves undervalue cars all the time to get rid of them quicker, though taking payments kind of defeats that purpose.... But your point is taken...

Its definately worth 30,000 mate.. and i see no advice to take.. I'm just gonna hold on to the car and my 7000 till i see the book.

If it doesnt appear, then Ive still got a car for pottering around town... :rolleyes:

If you haven't paid for it all yet, you aren't the owner. That's how most sales work in the world isn't it? That's why you don't have a blue book (yet). Get it at same time you make final payment.

Its definately worth 30,000 mate.. and i see no advice to take.. I'm just gonna hold on to the car and my 7000 till i see the book.

If it doesnt appear, then Ive still got a car for pottering around town... :rolleyes:

You will not be able to get it taxed or insured so if anything happens best of luck.:whistling:

Yep, carry plenty of tea money with you at all times while puttering...

Having looked at and bought many cars here in Thailand I can't imagine what kind of piece of junk you bought for 30,000.

I passed on a non-running 1996 SEAT the other day for 43,000 and he even went down to 38,000 but I wouldn't pay more then 30,000..

I'm sorry to come off as sounding so harsh but it's scary to think what you could be driving around in while I'm driving with my family and then have your pregnant G/F in besides :o:( ..

Edited by WarpSpeed

You will not be able to get it taxed or insured so if anything happens best of luck.:whistling:

Insurance, book not needed, copy works fine. Tax, book needed

The customary thing is to sign a sales contract at the time of purchase specifying the payment plan.

At that time you should have received photocopies of the legal owner's ID card and household registration with the owner's signature on them in blue ink.

As a time sale, you should have also received a photocopy of the book.

You should also have inspected the book for finance company endorsements. If it still had a lien, you should have gone with the owner to the finance company to make them a party to the sale, or transfer the lien to your name.

When you make your appointment to make your final payment, tell him you expect the legal owner to go with you to the Department of Land Transportation Office to complete the transfer paperwork and when complete, you will give the final payment there.

The customary thing is to sign a sales contract at the time of purchase specifying the payment plan.

At that time you should have received photocopies of the legal owner's ID card and household registration with the owner's signature on them in blue ink.

As a time sale, you should have also received a photocopy of the book.

You should also have inspected the book for finance company endorsements. If it still had a lien, you should have gone with the owner to the finance company to make them a party to the sale, or transfer the lien to your name.

When you make your appointment to make your final payment, tell him you expect the legal owner to go with you to the Department of Land Transportation Office to complete the transfer paperwork and when complete, you will give the final payment there.

a financed vehicle is registered on finance companys name with users name in addition. Finance company must transfer to user when payed in full, and can not transfer to anyone else. This transfer does not require inspection of vehicle. Next day transfer from user to a buyer can be done, and vehicle must be inspected