New I Phones

H2oDunc

If ever there was another reason to avoid any Apple products then this would do it for me. Having never bought into the whole Apple thing this latest scam to tie you to Apple takes the biscuit. They are now fitting their phones with screws that can only be opened by your local Apple approved dealer. The link to the full story is here

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1349144/Apple-fits-iPhone-4-pentalobular-screws-impossible-remove.html

Microsoft has always been accused of trying to monopolise the market and has been prosecuted many times for so called infringements by the EU yet Apple are allowed to get away with these type of scams.

As said it is just another reason not to fall for the Apple scam.

I went the Android way and am well happy. I have yet to read a posting here on TV telling us that an Android phone has eaten all their credit up or that their apps are calling home and passing on information to the app creators ;)

Happy with my Apple shares up 200+% and love my Iphone. Would you want a lousy mechanic working on your Mercedes?

No, but at least with the Merc I have a choice.

Being able to replace the battery is a fairly normal thing for the average Joe to do to his phone :)

It's funny how this enrages mostly non-Apple users.

Shock! Horror! Apple doesnt want you to screw with their devices!

I mean really... no one cares. Clearly they do it in order to prevent the hobbyist from opening their phones and subsequently spending house on the phone with tech support and / or returning the phone under warranty after they messed it up.

The professionals will have those special screwdrivers in no time, it's not like they are patented or illegal. By professionals I mean both Apple stores and the guys in MBK.

it would be nice to just change the battery, like any other mobile phone...

do you have 2 or more batteries for your other phones?

If you're talking about replacing the battery because it's old - any shop in the mall can do that, or any apple dealer. The batteries are replaceable, just not user-replaceable. I suspect similar reasons as in Apple laptops - the space they save on battery hull, removal mechanism, latches, contacts, and so on, they instead use for more battery. That's why the iPhone 4 has amazing battery life for the features it offers - nothing comes close.

PS: Sure they could make their phones larger / thicker and still offer replaceable batteries. But I've never been one to carry 2 batteries with me so I really don't care very much. I once bought a cheap chinese replacement for my weak Nokia battery. Turns out the Chinese version was worse than my weakened original so I never used it...

Edited by nikster

Every single iPhone 4 sold in Thailand is still under Apple warranty. Do you really want to open up your iPhone and void the warranty? If you do need a repair under warranty, it's free. But if you would like to open your iPhone and void the warranty, it's your choice. Now how many pentalobe drivers would you like to buy?

http://www.sw-box.com/Professional-Screw-Driver-Opening-Tool-For-Iphone-4.html

Sorry, I can't really see what the whinging is about here. A "scam"?

Just to follow up:

I have yet to read a posting here on TV telling us that an Android phone has eaten all their credit up or that their apps are calling home and passing on information to the app creators

Android and "mysterious data charges". These reports go all the way back to 2008:

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/T-Mobile-Data-roaming-G1,news-3077.html

There are loads of reports for unknown data charges for Android phones as well as Apple phones. Every case I have seen is the result of the user not being familiar with the settings to disable data or data roaming.

And Android calls home every time you open certain apps:

http://gizmodo.com/5598829/new-android-copy-protection-has-apps-calling-home

About 20 percent of the 48,000 apps in the Android marketplace allow a third-party application access to sensitive or private information:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-20008518-245.html?tag=mantle_skin;content

Using a Daily Mail article as a point of reference is not a strong basis for an argument. However, I agree. Only yesterday I went to wire a plug and discovered that I did not have a screwdriver of the correct size. Had to go and buy one, for about the same price as a screwdriver for the iPhone 4 would cost; scandalous. Last time I buy a plug.

it would be nice to just change the battery, like any other mobile phone...

do you have 2 or more batteries for your other phones?

If you're talking about replacing the battery because it's old - any shop in the mall can do that, or any apple dealer. The batteries are replaceable, just not user-replaceable. I suspect similar reasons as in Apple laptops - the space they save on battery hull, removal mechanism, latches, contacts, and so on, they instead use for more battery. That's why the iPhone 4 has amazing battery life for the features it offers - nothing comes close.

PS: Sure they could make their phones larger / thicker and still offer replaceable batteries. But I've never been one to carry 2 batteries with me so I really don't care very much. I once bought a cheap chinese replacement for my weak Nokia battery. Turns out the Chinese version was worse than my weakened original so I never used it...

I dont need extra batteries for my other phones, they last :) but i have to tell that i have a battery pack to my iphone otherwise it would not last the whole day, and dont give me all that crap about turn things off, i need my phone as business phone if i dont answer my mail straight away i could loose a job or contract. And i am still looking around for other phones, but dam_n expensive to change all the time, but i would have no problem with change out my iphone for something else, not like the die hard and will never try anything else apple fans here :)