Auto Inspection

Hi. I hope this is the right forum for my question. (?)

I have a Honda CRV that is now over 10 years old. And, I am told I will need to get a "safety inspection" certificate before I go to get the annual sticker for the registration. So my questions are:

1. Is that for sure the requirement or ??

2. Where can I find the inspection place? I live in Udon Thani province. Or, where can I call to inquire?

Thanks.

Yes, that is the requirement and you go to any shop with a blue sign out front with a yellow gear posted on it.. They have different levels of equipment I've found out and differing levels of procedures depending on that equipment, some check brakes and such too besides just exhaust..

Yes, that is the requirement and you go to any shop with a blue sign out front with a yellow gear posted on it.. They have different levels of equipment I've found out and differing levels of procedures depending on that equipment, some check brakes and such too besides just exhaust..

yepp, cars 6 years and older must be inspected each year before tax sticker can be issued.

its a road worthy and emission test, but presently doesnt take much to pass

In addition to above, test can also be done by DLT

OK - thanks all. While I had somebody take care of this for me previously, I think I can take it from here.

Just to ask (in case somebody else has the issue)... are you sure the inspection is required after 6 years? b/c I'm "pretty sure" I didn't need it until now: 10 years.

Cheers

I too have found that the test is required when the vehicle reaches 7 years of age and the registration can only be updated with the certificate issued by the test station.

Here in Pattaya they have a test site just across the road from the vehicle licensing office and only takes about 10 mins. to do the test, depending on the amount of people waiting.

I've had my vehicle tested twice now, I believe the test is required every year after reaching 7 years.

It certainly isn't as strict as the dreaded MOT test in UK, as I've only seen them check lights, indicators and brakes but they do make a point of checking the chassis number.

The cost was 200 baht.

I go to a local garage, they do that the sign outside..

Every year they look all around the car, take the car numbers [3x on masking tape stuck on a piece of paper] I leave the blue book and drive home, about a week later she calls me to say tax sticker is ready, I pay for the car tax sticker + government Insurance + 200 baht for there service + the inspection + them getting the car tax sticker + government Insurance.

For me 2x 10 min trips and 1 km..... about 3 years ago went to the main place in Nonthaburi... So 60km round trip and 4 hours, so hassle free in the next Village for 200 baht makes seance, all done for me. :)

I did mine in January this year. Was told 9 years and over for age.

I had gone down on my m/c with the paperwork and was told I had to bring the car in.for Inspection. I was directed to a lady who spoke good English and told she would sort it all out.

On returning with my car 30 minutes later I was directed to the corner of the car park where a man took out some masking tape and copied the chassis number onto it. 20 minutes later and he was back with all the relevent paperwork. It cost me 300 Baht.

Went back into the office and had my tax, insurance and everything else sorted in 10 minutes or so.

Some inspection!!

Luckily, I have a good mechanic ( a rarity here in Thailand in my experience) who I get to check the car over for any faults so do not worry too much about the mechanical side.

Obviously officialdom varies from place to place as with so much else here.

So everything from 6 to 10 years has been mentioned but the OP says his car is just now 10 years old and assuming he's owned it previous to that (which he didn't mention) how's he been getting away with no inspection previously since it's tied to the tax and registration annual renewal?

If he didn't own it then, the previous owner or dealer should have told him about inspections required...

Edited by WarpSpeed

So everything from 6 to 10 years has been mentioned but the OP says his car is just now 10 years old and assuming he's owned it previous to that (which he didn't mention) how's he been getting away with no inspection previously since it's tied to the tax and registration annual renewal?

If he didn't own it then, the previous owner or dealer should have told him about inspections required...

Is it possibly different in each area or that each are has its own sets of rules they go by? I had the same car last year as I have now and I was not asked to get it inspected. The car was 8 years old at that time.

Maybe simply a case of TiT and depends on who you are dealing with on the day as to whether they know the rules or not.

As for the previous owner or the seller telling the new owner about inspections - surely it is up to the prospective owner to understand the rules and regulations of car ownership here?

As for the previous owner or the seller telling the new owner about inspections - surely it is up to the prospective owner to understand the rules and regulations of car ownership here?

Well not where a dealer is concerned, but in a private sale I would think it to be common courtesy at least and especially in the case of an expat, I know I would and have..

Well not where a dealer is concerned, but in a private sale I would think it to be common courtesy at least and especially in the case of an expat, I know I would and have..

not possible to transfer ownership before inspection is done, even if it was done only a month ago, it is required on day of transfer

not possible to transfer ownership before inspection is done, even if it was done only a month ago, it is required on day of transfer

Yes but the point is that it can be done without the new owner knowing or understanding the process or applicable regulations if they have not been informed by the previous owner or dealership and it's their first purchase..

FYI: I bought the car new but the gf would always take care of the registration. Last year, she told me she was informed that next time (this year when it's 10 years old) I would need to get the inspection. That was in Buriram. So, maybe it's a provincial thing? Anyway... I took it in to a place that had the gear sign and the guy looked under the hood, checked the linkage and exhaust, and presumably the brakes as he drove it around. He kept my blue book and will take care of that and I go back Sat to recover.