Agent For Condo Rent ?

afx

Looking to take a one bed condo in either Ekamai, Langsuan or Thong Lor for 6 months or a year near the end of March. I was wondering if anyone can recommend a decent agent?

I've no experience of using agents in Bangkok, but "decent" and "estate agent" in the same sentence as far as the UK is concerned is an oxymoron (no offence intended to those offering their services here).

Hopefully this thread won't turn into one big spam links page to shoddy scraped site URL's. Maybe just the name and or phone number of a good agent or via PM would be better

Or maybe you are a farang owner looking to cut out the middle man, if so shoot me a PM..

Thanks in advance.

not an agent, but a perfect website for searching a condo or apartment ! The listing are all with contact telephone number. Happy search.

As I am not allowed to give a hyperlink here, something else you can use for google search :

9apartment bangkok

In all my years of dealing with agents in Thailand, i can tell you they are pretty much useless.

The mechanics of it is very different to the West. Agents basically advertise or find a tenant, you pay the deposit to them(this money they keep as fee) and after that all your dealings are direct with the owner.

Also you will find, many of them do not even have an agreement with the owner, they go around condo's to see where have free room.

My best advice for you is to pick area you like and simply walk around all the condo's asking juristic person if have any available rooms.

You will find yourself condo you like and i can guarantee will also pay much cheaper price.

From my experience(example) in the condo where i lived for 5 years i changed 3 times. First time i used an agent and was paying 32k per month. I then asked Juristic person if there were any units free as i wanted to move and got same size unit, on the lower floor for 22K.

You will also find in many condo's the owners are Thai and they do not use internet or not aware of of Internet prices, so they rent for pretty low prices or i should say "local" prices rather then foreigner prices.

Good luck, i am sure you will find condo in less then 1 day, i know i did :)

In all my years of dealing with agents in Thailand, i can tell you they are pretty much useless.

The mechanics of it is very different to the West. Agents basically advertise or find a tenant, you pay the deposit to them(this money they keep as fee) and after that all your dealings are direct with the owner.

Also you will find, many of them do not even have an agreement with the owner, they go around condo's to see where have free room.

My best advice for you is to pick area you like and simply walk around all the condo's asking juristic person if have any available rooms.

You will find yourself condo you like and i can guarantee will also pay much cheaper price.

From my experience(example) in the condo where i lived for 5 years i changed 3 times. First time i used an agent and was paying 32k per month. I then asked Juristic person if there were any units free as i wanted to move and got same size unit, on the lower floor for 22K.

You will also find in many condo's the owners are Thai and they do not use internet or not aware of of Internet prices, so they rent for pretty low prices or i should say "local" prices rather then foreigner prices.

I would agree with all of this.

My experience of agents in Bangkok has been bad. VERY bad!

It is better to go around a few buildings in the area you like and speak to the people in the management office.

I would agree with all of this.

My experience of agents in Bangkok has been bad. VERY bad!

It is better to go around a few buildings in the area you like and speak to the people in the management office.

Thanks for all the replies, it is true the world over, a totally unregulated industry full of cowboys. I've had some terrible experiences with estate agents in the UK and didn't think it would be any different out here, but no harm in asking.

I would agree with most of this, but I got the feeling that the office staff are in on the commission also. Many times I have been to one apartment building, and different real estate agents have shown me different rooms in the same building. They never showed me the same room as the other. Then, I would go back and the office staff shows me a completely different set of rooms! I don't trust any of them. You really must do your own research, and don't forget ALWAYS negotiate. If the owner won't, forget them and move on. There is a very high vacancy rate here.

(I agree with the above.. mroomfinder is very good with local Thai rates without the inflated western prices.)

Edited by kyb789

Ok, I just had the exact opposite experience. I tried Craigslist and the classifieds off of this forum for a place in Sukhumvit, and was getting nowhere. I went to roomfinders and responded to a place there. I got an email and then a call from Holly at Homespace. She spent an entire Saturday taking me around, showed me 7 places where I wanted to look, all within about 3K bhat of my price range (which was low for the area). But the first place she picked for me was by far the best, and I've rented it. She was sweet, her English was great, and she paid attention and noted my issues with each place.

I don't know what her deal/cut is with the apartment owners, and honestly, I don't care. She took great care of me. She's even hooked me up with the internet people. Given my crappy ability with pasa Thai, she was invaluable.

Here's her email... Holly <[email protected]>...

If you call her, you can tell her Jon recommended you (she's also kind of cute and .. you know....)..

Believe me, don't believe me.. up to you, but I'm convinced I wouldn't have found this place myself.