Duel Citizenship And New Baby

If you are an American and your spouse has duel citizenship, I'd like to hear about your experience going through the process at the embassy for reporting the birth of your child.

I have U.S. citizenship. My wife has Thai and U.S. citizenship. When our baby is born, the birth certificate will state that the mother is Thai. When we go to the U.S. embassy with our newborn to do the stack of paperwork, I'm assuming my wife will then state she is a U.S. citizen on the paperwork correct? Just curious what happens since the duel citizenship complicates things a bit.

No experience with the US embassy, but when my wife gave birth to our two daughters the birth certificate stated that I, the father, as 'Thai'. Which I am.

A few weeks later we trotted down to the Australian embassy to get our daughters Australian citizenship, based on me also being Australian.

They only needed proof that

1) I was the father; and

2) That I had the right to pass on my Australian citizenship to my daughters

The kids Thai BC accomplished (1) regardless of the fact that it had a different nationality on it

My Australian birth certificate and passport ticked the box for (2).

I suspect the US embassy will take a similar approach.

Edited by samran

You both should have an easy day at the US embassy.

The paper work is really not that much.

Go to the US consulate website and locate the American Citizen services section.

The site will advise you what you all that you need to accomplish the task of registering and obtaining a Birth report.

Happy sailing.

Was there, done that.... recently....

Everyone was very helpful.

However, if something suspicious is detected, then it becomes an entirely different game.... which I am certain in your case, there is nothing out of the ordinary.

Cheers....

Edited by mkawish

I would suggest downloading the paperwork from the embassy website and filling it out before your appointment. Make sure you have certified translations of the documents (Married paper, birth certificate etc..)

Pretty easy process, cost about 6,500THB for the US birth registration and passport i think?

I had to register my son at the UK embassy also, and that cost 13,400 (consider yourself lucky)!

Did not have any issue with getting him 3 citizenships...

I've just been through the "Registration of Foreign Birth" at the ACS section of the US Embassy. It really doesn't matter that your wife is also a US Citizen, as any child born to a citizen (you) will become a citizen upon submitting the proper forms. I had to provide DNA for myself and my son. I'm not married to my son's mom. I'm not sure if this is necessary for everyone, or just bastards. The DNA testing was the most expensive and complex part of my son's registration. I hope that because you are married and both are citizens, that you won't need to do this step.