Receiving & Reading Thai Written Sms On Computer

DP9700

Hi,

I'd like to be able to receive sms written in Thai text on my computer. I'll need a sim card to have a valid phone number but what else do I need, software and hardware.

The final objective is to be able to copy/paste the thai text so I can translate it and work with it on my computer.

Is something like that possible with an aircard or something else?

Thanks

Think simpler. Why make it complicated? What I do is copy the Thai sms text and then email it to myself. Of course, to do this you need a phone with email and a data plan. Then on the computer I highlight the text, go to translate.google.com and paste it into the translation box.

I use Nokia PC Suite with my E71 (quite dated now I suppose) tethered by USB or Bluetooth. Nokia communicatiuons centre is part of the suite and you can read, compose and send texts like email - saves all that fiddling with tiny keypads especially in Thai :rolleyes: Some intrepid sorts have apparently got it to work with Linux, but I never felt the need to try myself.

I would think most major makes of phone would have similar.

Not applicable but with an Android phone I can copy a That text SMS and paste it into Google Translate (also on the phone, from The Market, free), pretty amazing. With MyPhoneExplorer, on a PC with client SW on the phone, I can manage all SMSes including copying and pasting, originating, etc.

Do you currently have a phone? SIM? Where are you located? Do you want people in Thailand to be able to send you an SMS on for what them would be a local number, 08x?

Typically you need to have a phone turned on and registered with a network in order to receive SMSes.

Do you want people in Thailand to be able to send you an SMS on for what them would be a local number, 08x?

That's the idea. I can send people in Thailand an SMS using Skype but they can't answer me back. But I just realize that Skype may offer me the possibility that people answer me back if I subscrive for a number. Not sure at all but I will take a closer look.

I have a phone and a local thai number but my phone Is not capapble to show thai text. And even if it was capable, I'd like to be able to copy/paste the thai text to my computer to work with it. I have a data cable but not sure if I can save SMS on to the memory card and then work with it ? Actual phone is an LG KU990.

I'd prefer to have a 100% PC solution because I'm on it all the time but I understand that if it is not possible I'll have to find another solution, maybe buying a new phone.

Still not entirely clear on the app. If you send an SMS from Skype then what good is it if no one can reply? Actually on second thought that may be brilliant. ;)

You might ask around in the mobile shops if your phone can be reflashed to add Thai fonts and/or keypad.

LG PC Suite should allow you to "manage" SMSes (copy, paste, receive, originate) on your PC with your phone attached via USB?

Edited by lomatopo

An aircard is just a phone you can't talk into... second-hand phones are cheap (out in the sticks at least)... software downloadable... etc.

I've never used an aircard. Can you receive/read/reply/originate SMSes with an aircard? Is there some sort of user interface? How is billing handled on SMSes with an aircard?

Still not entirely clear on the app. If you send an SMS from Skype then what good is it if no one can reply? Actually on second thought that may be brilliant. ;)

You might ask around in the mobile shops if your phone can be reflashed to add Thai fonts and/or keypad.

LG PC Suite should allow you to "manage" SMSes (copy, paste, receive, originate) on your PC with your phone attached via USB?

Hahaha I admit I'm not clear. I send SMS using Skype and I get a reply to my email but that's not practical at all for the other person. It would be great if the person could answer directly to my Skype account but it seems not possible. So that option is out at the moment.

What you suggest is the easiest way to do what I want and I'll use that method as a last resort if I don't find any other solution. I prefer to use everything on my computer instead of using my own phone or a second phone for personal reasons.

I used an USB GPRS MODEM some years ago when I was out in the sticks here and if I remember correclty it had some program with it and I could send SMS. Not sure if I could receive them. So maybe the AIRCARD is a good option. About the billing, I guess it works like a prepaid card.

Not applicable but with an Android phone I can copy a That text SMS and paste it into Google Translate (also on the phone, from The Market, free), pretty amazing. With MyPhoneExplorer, on a PC with client SW on the phone, I can manage all SMSes including copying and pasting, originating, etc.

Just a follow-up: Google Translate on my Android phone has an "SMS translation" button, which I must have missed before. In the "translate from" box the default is "detect language", then it takes you to all your SMSes, click on one and it is translated. No copy and paste. Useful for those Truemove service messages in Thai. Brilliant.

• 3 weeks later...