Rar Extractor

monsieurhappy

I have been using a free rar extract frog program for extracting rar files ( mainly movies ) downloaded from the net.

It works OK except when playing extracted movie using VLC player ( or Media player ) on computer I have to turn up sound to maximum and even then cannot hear every word spoken.

If I burn a dvd ( I usually use dvdflick ) or copy movie to a usb thumb drive and play direct on my TV the sound is no problem. The trouble is only when I view on monitor.

I am using Windows 7. I don't beleive I had the problem when using win XP although at that time I mainly burnt all movies to dvd so perhaps didn't notice.

Can anyone give me advice using normal "speak" that a "non geek" can understand?

I have the win 7 sound controls set at the highest possible output and do not get any problems when viewing movies etc. that are downloaded without having to use an extract prog.

Just reread your post and you last line says you do have the master volume at max. So disregard my first suggestion.

You are probably aware of this but just in case.....Your computer has a master volume control represented by the little speaker near the clock in lower right of the display. The speaker icon may be hidden so you might have to click the little arrow to show hidden icons. Make sure that it is set to max volume then use the volume control for whatever media software you are using.

If you would like to try a different .rar extractor, two other free programs are 7Zip and PeaZip. I have used both with no issues. I have also used Frog with no problems as well.

Edited by Pakaty

No RAR or other compression program will affect the volume of the audio in a movie file. The compressed files are either extracted correctly or not.

Sometimes, if you have several different video and/or audio players installed, their volume settings can interfere with each other, and even affect the Windows master audio volume. If nothing else works, try opening all the video and audio player programs you have and setting all their volume controls to max and see if that does anything.

Alternatively, un-install all third party video and audio players except the built in Windows Media Player, reboot, and then download and install Media Player Classic Home Cinema (freeware) from http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/ and try that.

Good luck.

Edited by verywierd

I have uninstalled the RAR extract frog and uploaded WinRar.

Now when I've downloaded a movie if I double left click on the title which opens the files for extraction there is a new symbol - tcon-image with a small vlc player symbol. If I right click this I can play the movie without having to extract it first. The sound is an improvement but I still have to turn the volume to full!