Get The Best Currency Exchange Rate

ThaiTrav

Ok when changing your currency to Baht everyone wants to get the best rate right! So it pays to do a little investigation work first off prior trotting off to the local exchange house or bank .Let me tell you the airports and exchange places in the hot tourists places are the worst and least used by me well only out of shear desperation do I use those the are the hot fleecing spots.Exchange only small amounts here and ONLY if you have to. You are getting Stung!

The local banks and exchange houses use your money you changed and then trade it on the world currency exchange picking up the difference.as you well know that few point difference adds up to big bucks particularly if exchanging large amounts,thats how they make their money .

So how do you find the world exchange rate? Log on to XE Com currency exchange or google it, I have it permanently on my desktop so as I can easily spot check.You can actually become a trader within and play on the same field as the banks if your serious,but for the Moms and Dads and single folk best just use it as a guide. you type in $1 of your currency and convert it to baht to get the world market rate.Bingo ...your informed! Now look at the going rates some of these banks and the like are offering WoW what difference . Eg they work on safe average rates where as the world rate is flucuating all the time,

When you know the real rate, Choose 3 or 4 exchanges and go with the closest to it. Some update throughout the day some don't. The oz dollar was trading close to 31baht to $1 yet some well known thai bank in Soi Baukow kept their rate at 29.30 all over the 4 day xmas period fleecing big time the unaware tourist that exchanged there .We poor gullabe Farang not just the lady,cops or tuk tuk take it ..believe me!!!

I found a place off the beaten track 2 years ago and still use it to this day .It is run by an old lady and I.ve become quite friendly with her .I know it sounds like this is an ad her ,but stuff it, she is an honest lady and has always done well by me so I;ll tell you all she deserves it ,and you.ll get more money! Her point difference has always been better than anywhere you'll find by going round the traps usually few points higher but couple points below the world rate.She has to make money too ,thats fair otherwise what the heck she doing it for but she aint greedy! Her Name is Vanee ,Along Pattaya 3rd Rd Turn into Soi 16 ,about 100 mtrs up on the left look for Vanee Apartments.

Well good Luck! I,d love to hear your feedback!!

Here's a handy link. It compares all the major Thai bank's exchange rates and is updated several times a day, as the banks amend their rates. For some obscure reason it defaults to Korean Won, but just select the currency of your choice and choose TT as the transaction type to see the bank's ATM rates.

http://bankexchangerates.daytodaydata.net/default.aspx

head to 3rd road south pattaya road junction, turn left towards sukumvit about 50m on the right just past CAT Tele there's a soi (forget name) about 20m in on the left you have the Gold shop, best rates I have found yet in Pattaya for converting cash

head to 3rd road south pattaya road junction, turn left towards sukumvit about 50m on the right just past CAT Tele there's a soi (forget name) about 20m in on the left you have the Gold shop, best rates I have found yet in Pattaya for converting cash

The soi is called soi Rungland, and the Gold Shop is opposite the OK Corral bar.

Another good place to exchange cash, and which is much more convenient to get to, is the TT Exchange on Beach Road just a few metres before the entrance to Walking Street. They have a big yellow sign and their rates are much more competitive than the major banks. They have a few other branches around town, too. However, I think they only take cash.

The soi is called soi Rungland, and the Gold Shop is opposite the OK Corral bar.

Another good place to exchange cash, and which is much more convenient to get to, is the TT Exchange on Beach Road just a few metres before the entrance to Walking Street. They have a big yellow sign and their rates are much more competitive than the major banks. They have a few other branches around town, too. However, I think they only take cash.

Bank Gold in Soi Rungland is always very good if you are changing money back the way too, ie: Bahts to Pounds / Euros etc. can do large ammounts with no paperwork !

Make life easy and just go to TT Moneychangers on 2nd Road near the Pattaya Tai intersection. They are bright yellow on left and right of 2nd Road about 100 meters past the intersection.

They'll beat any other moneychangers' rates everyday. They're also a very convenient place to buy any foreign currency you want. There's no need to sign anything. They'll hand and machine count the money in front of you. Best service by a mile. Never a sour face or attitude and they appreciate your business.

Make life easy and just go to TT Moneychangers on 2nd Road near the Pattaya Tai intersection. They are bright yellow on left and right of 2nd Road about 100 meters past the intersection.

They'll beat any other moneychangers' rates everyday. They're also a very convenient place to buy any foreign currency you want. There's no need to sign anything. They'll hand and machine count the money in front of you. Best service by a mile. Never a sour face or attitude and they appreciate your business.

Never beat the Chinaman on 3rd road

Edited by DMC1

whereabouts chinaman on 3rd road please? I have found bank gold rungland not to good over the last few months

whereabouts chinaman on 3rd road please? I have found bank gold rungland not to good over the last few months

Along the 3rd road on the left hand side (if traveling in direction towards Pattaya North road) about 150-200m from the Pattaya Klang/3rd road traffic lights.

They'll beat anyone in Pattaya. When I get to back to Pattaya you're welcome to post rates so we can compare. It'll be an interesting exercise.

Edited by tropo

TT have a new branch on soi buakoaw more or less opposite Oasis agogo and another on beach rd about 120 mtrs before the start of walking st.

i have never seen them beaten by the main banks for cash.

also with very similar rates to TT, is Super Richly ( green sign/red writing) pattaya tai aka south pattaya rd just near the traffic lights at 2nd road

TT have a new branch on soi buakoaw more or less opposite Oasis agogo and another on beach rd about 120 mtrs before the start of walking st.

also with very similar rates to TT, is Super Richly ( green sign/red writing) pattaya tai aka south pattaya rd just near the traffic lights at 2nd road

They'll take over the moneychanging business because their service is so far ahead of that of the banks and the other moneychangers. They're on a mission.

Edited by tropo

Super Richly is the same company as the one I referred to earlier as the 'Chinese Money Changer' which is also located on Pattaya 3rd road. The sign above the door says 'Super Richly' but most of the people I know who use this place refer to it as the Chinese money changer.

Super Richly is the same company as the one I referred to earlier as the 'Chinese Money Changer' which is also located on Pattaya 3rd road. The sign above the door says 'Super Richly' but most of the people I know who use this place refer to it as the Chinese money changer.

some of the rates are pretty similar but when i exchanged 400 sterling last week at TT opposite oasis i got 240 bht more than changing it next door at the kaiskorn booth.

not a lot but still 24 trips on a baht bus

Whilst most of the information from the OP is common sense (Shopping around, not using airport / tourist area exchanges) and the tip for the money changer is appreciated. I find it hard to quibble over 1.70 baht when exchanging money in LoS compared with the UK.

Were I to change up money at the UK end I'd be lucky to get 42 baht to the pound. Compare that to the thai banks at around 46/47 baht and the money exchangers at 48/49 baht (going on October 2010 rates). A difference of 500+ baht when changing up £100.

Ripped off yes at my end but I wouldnt agree with your statement that we are being ripped off in LoS.

Just my 2 cents worth.

:)

Jim

Edited by JimmyChoons

from this thread we have identified 3 places to change money, rugland (cheapest I have found) opposite oasis (usually a bit less) or china on 3rd road, they are all very close in terms of rates I guess it comes down to which is closer so to the OP and anyone else, if you have western cash to change use one of these three and avoid anything with a bank sign on it........you'll be ripped off

thanks for that TT ,, how much does one have to change to make the transaction worth while??? ,,, like , if you arrive at swampy and want ,say ,, $2000 changed , is it worth the time and cost to go looking for the best rates or just accept what is closest ?? or is this more for the monthly pension flow ??? ,,, personally ,, the only thing l change regularly is my clothes ,, the money ran out long ago ,, :D

cheers egg

thanks for that TT ,, how much does one have to change to make the transaction worth while??? ,,, like , if you arrive at swampy and want ,say ,, $2000 changed , is it worth the time and cost to go looking for the best rates or just accept what is closest ?? or is this more for the monthly pension flow ??? ,,, personally ,, the only thing l change regularly is my clothes ,, the money ran out long ago ,, :D

cheers egg

I'd try to avoid changing anything at Swampy Egg. If the banks are considered a rip off the airport exchanges are even worse!

For example on the same day a Siam exchange booth at the airport will have a worse rate than a Siam exchange both outside of the airport.

If you absolutely have to change some money at the airport change up as little as possible. Enough say for you to get to one of the above listed exchanges. I'd recommend the rugland one near Oasis. In October and December last year they were a good baht or 2 higher than the banks.

As for whether or not its worth it, when I changed money in Oct/December in the Rugland near oasis I was gaining an extra 500 baht per £100 pounds sterling which goes a long way in LoS.

Hope this helps

Edited by JimmyChoons

cheers egg

I'd try to avoid changing anything at Swampy Egg. If the banks are considered a rip off the airport exchanges are even worse!

For example on the same day a Siam exchange booth at the airport will have a worse rate than a Siam exchange both outside of the airport.

If you absolutely have to change some money at the airport change up as little as possible. Enough say for you to get to one of the above listed exchanges. I'd recommend the rugland one near Oasis. In October and December last year they were a good baht or 2 higher than the banks.

As for whether or not its worth it, when I changed money in Oct/December in the Rugland near oasis I was gaining an extra 500 baht per £100 pounds sterling which goes a long way in LoS.

Hope this helps

thanks Jimmy ,,, l hope to be going back to Aus in april(family holiday) and wil be wanting to change Baht to Aus $ :shock1: ,,, what and where would be the best place to change the money ,,, here or there ??

cheers egg

cheers egg

Hope this helps

thanks Jimmy ,,, l hope to be going back to Aus in april(family holiday) and wil be wanting to change Baht to Aus $ :shock1: ,,, what and where would be the best place to change the money ,,, here or there ??

cheers egg

Hi Egg

Unless its a vast amount I normally don't change my left over Thai money back into Sterling as I'll be using it again not too far down the road.

However the odd times I have I've got a much better rate exchanging it back in England than in LoS.

Hope this helps.

Jim

quote]

Hi Egg

Unless its a vast amount I normally don't change my left over Thai money back into Sterling as I'll be using it again not too far down the road.

However the odd times I have I've got a much better rate exchanging it back in England than in LoS.

Hope this helps.

Jim

yes i never change the baht back to sterling cos i am alwaya coming back.

but jim it is wrong to say u will get a better rate in the uk that will not happen unless the baht moves hugely while u are on the plane.

i just looked at a pic on another thai board taken today of the kaiskorn rates for cash in pattaya

buying baht with sterling 48.71

buying sterling with baht 50.39.

there is no way that any exchange place in the uk would have such a small buy /sell difference, plus most exchange places in the uk want a commision for doing the deal another £3.50 or so.

so if u do need the sterling back do it in pattaya.

quote]

Hi Egg

Hope this helps.

Jim

yes i never change the baht back to sterling cos i am alwaya coming back.

but jim it is wrong to say u will get a better rate in the uk that will not happen unless the baht moves hugely while u are on the plane.

i just looked at a pic on another thai board taken today of the kaiskorn rates for cash in pattaya

buying baht with sterling 48.71

buying sterling with baht 50.39.

there is no way that any exchange place in the uk would have such a small buy /sell difference, plus most exchange places in the uk want a commision for doing the deal another £3.50 or so.

so if u do need the sterling back do it in pattaya.

Fair do's but in my experience I've had the opportunity to sell my Baht in LoS for approx. 46 baht but back in blighty I've got it purchased off me for 52 baht with no commission (Oct 2010).

With the highest degree of respect I'd have to totally disagree with you above (especially with no evidence backing up such a wild claim). Checking a Thai bank exchange rate and not for example a UK bank exchange rate gives a slightly slanted persective would you not agree? Especially if you look at say Natwest's current exchange rates for sterling from Today which are below:-

THAI BAHTS45.445754.7086THAI BAHTS45.445754.7086Sell rateBuy rateTHAI BAHTS45.44654.709

http://www.natwest.c...tes/default.asp

As you can see there is a massive, almost 10 baht difference in the buy and sell rate which tends to be between 2 and 3 in LoS which has been my experience for a number of years now. This also tops your best price of 50 baht from Kasikorn. Most banks don't charge commission these days but instead give a slightly lower exchange rate.

So in my humble opinion and in summary change up sterling/US dollar/Euro etc in LoS and change up Baht in your home country for prefferential rates. Or don't, as they say up to you.

As it varies daily no one can be bang on the money BOOM BOOM :D ah thank you.

Jim

Edited by JimmyChoons

Fair do's but in my experience I've had the opportunity to sell my Baht in LoS for approx. 46 baht but back in blighty I've got it purchased off me for 52 baht with no commission (Oct 2010).

With the highest degree of respect I'd have to totally disagree with you above (especially with no evidence backing up such a wild claim). Checking a Thai bank exchange rate and not for example a UK bank exchange rate gives a slightly slanted persective would you not agree? Especially if you look at say Natwest's current exchange rates for sterling from Today which are below:-

Jim

at the risk of pointing out the bleeding obvious when you are SELLING baht 46 is much better than 52.

selling 4,600 in pattaya would have got you 100 pounds acccording to you in oct 2010

to get the same 100 pounds in england cost you 5,200 bht a difference of 600 bht.

I think I used the Buakoaw place in May one of those first days/nights of that Pattaya curfew. Most money changers had shut up shop quickly for a while. I didn't change much as I was heading home in two days, but I appreciated a place being open a bit into the night as I recall. Of course, I may be remembering the wrong place also.

Edited by gk10002000

I think I used the Buakoaw place in May one of those first days/nights of that Pattaya curfew. Most money changers had shut up shop quickly for a while. I didn't change much as I was heading home in two days, but I appreciated a place being open a bit into the night as I recall. Of course, I may be remembering the wrong place also.

different place i think .

The buakoaw TT ex place must have opened sometime between last august and the new year's eve don't know exactly when.

but as it is 10 mtrs from a kaisikorn bureau which was normally one of the best around it must have killed some of their business

as a by the way the last 2 times i have been thro swampy i noticed that all the exchange places there had identical rates (a cartel) and non of them as good as pattaya, so if u need money on arrival don't change more than u need for a taxi etc , there are better rates in the resort

Edited by striderman