Bird Flu Returns In Two Provinces

george

New chicken cullings, free-range duck concerns as bird flu returns

BANGKOK: -- The government has ordered a mass culling of chickens in two provinces after bird flu was found in samples of native chickens.

Livestock Development Department Director-General Yukol Limlamthong said today that laboratory test results had confirmed bird flu in native chickens from the central province of Ayutthaya and the lower northern province of Kamphaeng Phet.

The department has ordered the mass culling of chickens in the areas and strict controls on the movement of poultry in nine provinces determined to have a risk of the disease recurring, he said.

Regarding Thailand's overall bird flu situation, he said that three provinces, including Ayutthaya, Kamphaeng Phet, and Suphan Buri, are under close surveillance.

Mr. Yukol conceded that the situation is still worrisome regarding free-range ducks, as farmers have failed to report the numbers of free-range ducks they are raising.

The department allows farmers to raise free-range ducks, but concealing their numbers and the source of the ducks is illegal.

Some farmers, he said, are reluctant to raise their ducks in enclosed buildings as advised by the government.

Ducks customarily kept as free-ranging birds, not raised within buildings.

Mr. Yukol said the European Union (EU) has recently sent officials to Thailand to examine local bird flu laboratories.

The Europeans said the problem of free range ducks is a reason why the EU does not import raw chicken from Thailand.

Free range birds on farms can transmit diseases they acquire from wild migratory birds.

--TNA 2005-08-31

I wish they would give all these birds a "flu shot".Β  It is terrible to read about the killing of these birds, not to mention the loss to the farmers.

My understanding as to why they don't give domestic birds the flu shot is because even after they got the shot the virus could still live in them and they could still transmit the disease....the end result might be that the disease would actually transmit faster. I'm just repeating what I think I read...I can't remember where I read it so I could be wrong on this.

I wish they would give all these birds a "flu shot".Β  It is terrible to read about the killing of these birds, not to mention the loss to the farmers.

My understanding as to why they don't give domestic birds the flu shot is because even after they got the shot the virus could still live in them and they could still transmit the disease....the end result might be that the disease would actually transmit faster. I'm just repeating what I think I read...I can't remember where I read it so I could be wrong on this.

The version I read is that with the vaccine in their blood, they would become dangerous to eat, as the vaccine could propagate to eaters with unknown consequences...

I think the problem is with the virus being able to live and or mutate in the chickens. The vaccine only stimulates their immune system, it doesn't necessarily stop the virus. Eating the cooked meat should have no consequences.

These viruses, however, change, mutate, recombine with existing viruses etc. at a very rapid rate, making them particularly dangerous. You wouldn't want to be butchering or handling infected (but not sick) chickens or the raw meat from them.