Looking To Import My 911 Into Bkk. Help!

Hello,

I'm looking to import my 911 carerra into Bangkok from New York. I'm interested to hear if anyone has imported a vehicle and how heavy ($$$-wise) a hit they took. I know the import duty tax is astronomical, but buying a new 911 there is out of the question. Also, from what it seems, the used market looks a bit shady to deal with it and there is no real accurate procedure to track the previous owner(s) activities. I know my car will be RHD car in a LHD country, but I don't mind that at all. Plus, it will be somewhat unique. Also, I'm not concerned about re-sale, so that is not a factor.

Any help would be appreciated. I am thinking that the import tax will be around the 3-4mill mark. Am I way off?

Thanks again.

jon

Sell the car back home, with the money you get from the sale, and the 3-4 million import budget you have you can get a nice RHD 911 here.

There are a couple of Porsche dealers with full service histories etc.

Great cars, but useless in most of Thailand with dodgy roads everywhere, and few service centres, 1 or 2 in Bangkok I beleive, that's your lot.

Get a Cayanne if you've got the cash!!!

when the customs and excise here see you coming through with a new york registered porsche they will be licking their lips and creaming their pants with excitement at the payday about to come their way.

dont do it.

if you must have a porsche to drive over the potholes and speedbumps and kerbs of bangkok and thailand , then get one here.

a friend of mine brought a car (mercedes) in from malaysia to use here for a while ,and so long as he didnt sell it , or try to register it here and so long as he had a visa (tourist) he was legally entitled to use the car here (on malaysian plates) without paying any import taxes.

he stayed a couple of years with the car.

that car was brought in overland from malaysia and maybe it is an asean agreement.

shipping in from the usa must come under different regulations altogether.

????????

Also, you should have someone drive you around Thailand in a RHD car while you sit in the front passenger seat. Take note of the poor visibility from your normal LHD seat and marvel at the fact that the driver hasn't killed you both yet.

I think it would be very foolhardy to drive that way here, and particularly in a high-performance car.

SUV makes perfect sense in Bangkok. It doesn't in the rest of the civilized world, but in Bangkok it's a must.

Your car will be destroyed after a few years. Everyone who has a Ferrari or Porshe here drives occasionally because the roads are that bad. It's basically for week-ends so you can show off at the local hi so bars

I also wanted to bring my 911 Turbo to Thailand from the UK, just not worth the hassle and the money involved, i have now sold it in the uk, also think about servicing etc, and the roads in Buriram where i am, it would be bottoming out with these big potholes you come across.

better off buying a 4 x 4 like i have done.

It's easy 327% Inport Duty of the orginal price. The current value doesn't matter. If you car is really old, that helps. New cars ouch. The same goes for airplanes in case you wanted to import one of these. The only relaxed duty is on boats, i.e. no duty only VAT, or you have to get the boat a visa and take it out of the country every six months.

SUV makes perfect sense in Bangkok. It doesn't in the rest of the civilized world, but in Bangkok it's a must.

Your car will be destroyed after a few years. Everyone who has a Ferrari or Porshe here drives occasionally because the roads are that bad. It's basically for week-ends so you can show off at the local hi so bars

Unfortunately true and both counts.

My mates missus took the sump out of an m3 on samui.

A canine would be fun,but why?Its no joy driving in Thailand.

For the interest on that money you can have a car and driver!!

New Porsche Prices Thailand

Hello,

I'm looking to import my 911 carerra into Bangkok from New York.  I'm interested to hear if anyone has imported a vehicle and how heavy ($$$-wise) a hit they took. I know the import duty tax is astronomical, but buying a new 911 there is out of the question.  Also, from what it seems, the used market looks a bit shady to deal with it and there is no real accurate procedure to track the previous owner(s) activities.  I know my car will be RHD car in a LHD country, but I don't mind that at all.  Plus, it will be somewhat unique. Also, I'm not concerned about re-sale, so that is not a factor.

Any help would be appreciated.  I am thinking that the import tax will be around the 3-4mill mark. Am I way off?

Thanks again.

jon

There must be some way around paying all that tax.

I see alot of well connected Thais driving fancy cars. Are they all paying tax?

No, but the banks do thanks to those 5% loans and no down payments :o

Most Thais will resell the cars only after a few years. Still high value and they take turns into buying new ones or exchange it for equivalent class

At the end it works out ok, they see it as capital like the gold chains

Edited by Butterfly

As other posters have said why on earth would you bring a porsche to Bangkok :o

Aside from the appalling roads, bad drivers, congestion and astronomical import tax. Servicing will be a nightmare, parts will be import too and insurance a nightmare. Oh and don't forget the rain/floods here.

If you love your car sell it to a good home don't kill it in Thailand.

A 4x4 is far better.

Wow, thanks for all the replies. This site is great. You guys rock.

Even with all that has been said, I'm still interesting into lookign further into this. It doesn't hurt, right? I will keep you all updated on my findings/search.

taxexile - its interesting you brought up the topic of your friend and bringing his benz into bkk. that would be a great option, btu I heard malaysia import tax is just as bad as thailands!

Butterfly - Is there a predominant dealer for used porsches? I hear what you are saying about the headache. I'm exploring this avenue because this car has become very dear to me and as I'm sure other car-junkies can relate, I don't want to let it go. I've done a decent amount of modifications as well. Also, I'm not much of a SUV fan, so it is out of the question. I would assume after some time with the car in bkk, I would pick up a daily beater to drive around, but right now I want to actually focus and see if this is even possible without sellling my soul. :o

thaicoon - what 4x4/suv do you have now?

autonomous_unit - I've had a driver when I used to live in bangkok about 6 years ago. I like driving, I'm a car person, no driver for me... even if it is in bkk traffic, so be it. :D

englishoak - I live in Manhattan, so the roads and nutso drivers are about on the same level as BKK :D Plus, my insurance here is probably on par or more than what they can throw at me in Thailand. SUV is out of the question. Yes, you get a more comfortable ride, but its a gas guzzler, its big (such a hassle when going through back soi's) and you get 0 performance (unless you get your hands on a cayenne turbo or x5 4.8is which I would think is way too much baht)...

raro - "just don't do it"? pls explain. If you are in the shipping business, I would love to hear your feedback/thoughts

Skipper - My girlfriend has a mini convert in bkk and I've always been quite fond of them until I drove hers. The handling was nice, but acceleration was just horrible! Also, the gearbox for the steptronic was very laggy. I've heard such great things about the car from magazines and was pretty unimpressed. I hope the "S" model is better...

Edited by jl_333

What good would a thread be without pictures?  :o

This is the reason why I want to torture myself...  ugh

I have bought an Isuzu D-Max Highlander 4 cab 4X4 had it 12 months, good bit of kit for out in the sticks, Nice porsche, mine was the earlier model the old shape, in mint condition, and only 53,000 miles, got a good price for it so sold it, i would of knackered it in Thailand, as all the guys have said, roads are no good, traffic, servicing, better off with a 4x4 or maybe a merc.

What good would a thread be without pictures?  :o

This is the reason why I want to torture myself...  ugh

Good looking car !!! what is the resale value in the US ? $50,000 ? take it and be happy. Resale value is about $100k in Thailand

If you really loved your car, you would not take it to Bangkok. It will be destroyed.

If you need to show off, take your gf Mini Cooper, this is the hot car now in Bangkok

Edited by Butterfly

autonomous_unit - I've had a driver when I used to live in bangkok about 6 years ago. I like driving, I'm a car person, no driver for me... even if it is in bkk traffic, so be it. :D 

I wasn't suggesting to get a driver instead of a Porsche, I was suggesting to experience the roads here from a LHD vantage point before deciding it would be OK on RHD roads. I guess you don't have the same concerns I did after my first road-trip with my brother-in-law driving. It would be like driving with an eye-patch over one eye... It was obvious to me from my front-left seat that I couldn't see nearly enough of the ongoing traffic hazards he was watching, and he's not even that good of a driver. :o

Nice looking 996 ya have there Jl... Looks like you have a spoiler from a GT3 on her with at 0 degree pitch... unless it is a GT3...

I work for PCNA (Porsche cars North America) here in the USA. Love the cars too.

Just might not be the best idea to have a left hand drive car in LOS... Still be a blast to have it there though...

Nice looking 996 ya have there Jl... Looks like you have a spoiler from a GT3 on her with at 0 degree pitch... unless it is a GT3...

I work for PCNA (Porsche cars North America) here in the USA. Love the cars too.

Just might not be the best idea to have a left hand drive car in LOS... Still be a blast to have it there though...

:o

jl_333,

how old is your car?

Check out following site for import duties:

http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/Perso...me=PersonalPer#

It's not going to be easy!

However, used/secondhand vehicles are regarded as restricted goods and, therefore, generally not allowed for importation into Thailand

In plain English this means a substantial amount will have to be paid under the table just to start the process!

Your car will attract a total import duty of at least 308%, but I think it will be more as they do not give a rate for cars with more then 220hp.

editted

I guess the not should'nt be in the following Not exceeding 3000 cc. or with more than 220 horse power

So 308% it'll be!:

If your car is around 10 years old you can reduce this with 70% (still 238% of CIF)

In Thailand they will value your car very high, maybe around 70.000US$.

This would mean an import duty of 166000 US$ or around 7 million Baht.

In my opinion you would be lucky to get it over here for less then 8 million :D

Starting to get a clue why these type of cars are so ridiculous expensive over here???

Officially, only registered importers are allowed to bring in secondhand cars, you might want to find one of those to talk of!

The major problem with the Thai customs is that you will have no clue about what you will have to pay! They know very well when your car is here, locked up at customs awaiting clearance that you really want to get it out...

It can drag on for a few weeks, the price might get so ridiculous that you decide to send it back to the states, and then they slap you with a couple of thousand US$ storage fees before releasing the car to be sent back :o

Worst case the car just "dissapears". You'll only recover what the insurance will pay you out...

I most definately would not want to take the risk with something which is close to my hart...

Edited by monty

hi jl_333, further to my pm and the excellent post from monty:

By Thai law (and this is a bit unique compared to ther countries) you cannot ship back something to where is came from unless it is customs cleared. Hence, once the car is here, there are two options: either clear it or abandon it.

By Thai law (and this is a bit unique compared to ther countries) you cannot ship back something to where is came from unless it is customs cleared. Hence, once the car is here, there are two options: either clear it or abandon it.

Which means that Thai Customs has put one very cleverly over the barrel once the shipped goods have arrived in Thailand.

Just checked with our shipping department...Since recently - and that was also new to me - the import of used cars into Thailand is prohibited. Hence, no chance to get it in - unless you're a diplomat.

Smart from the Thai Authority. Did you see those second hand car lots ? lot of nice cars "unsold"

Waiting for 1997 Part II to hit next year and those 2.9mil baht Benz and mini Cooper are going to be a bargain :o