Strange Farang Phenomenon

61guitarman61

Agreed that it is not always used in a deragatory way, BUT....think about how the "n" word is used in rap music or in some circles of African Americans, it is not always used in a deragatory way. However, when I taught in an inner city school we taught the children that it is NOT ok to use that word at all and I very much agree with that.

I feel the same way about the word "falang," I have to accept it's use by the Thais and not be bothered too much by it as a way of life here but when I hear white westerners calling themselves "falang" it just seem ridiculous to me.

White westerner is that much different?

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really care one way or the other...

It's obvious that you do care, otherwise you wouldn't even bring this up. We had a thread about this awhile back and it perplexed me a great deal. Why would a farang have an obligation to acknowledge every other farang they walk by? It's asinine to think that just because we share the same....what exactly (skin color?)....that we'd have to treat one another differently than we would any random Thai (or Japanese or Korean). Let's try this: treat everyone the same. Can you do that? And if any farang (or Thai) were to ignore your incredibly humane efforts at friendliness (or creepiness), don't get so bent-out-of-shape about it. Everyone has their own comfort zone and it doesn't mean that people are "(attempting) to lose their western identities." Where do people come up with this stuff?

What a load of rubbish you are talking about Berkshire. Why do people like you bother posting.

As usual, dansat, you make absolutely no sense. Try posting sober occasionally.

Agreed that it is not always used in a deragatory way, BUT....think about how the "n" word is used in rap music or in some circles of African Americans, it is not always used in a deragatory way. However, when I taught in an inner city school we taught the children that it is NOT ok to use that word at all and I very much agree with that.

I feel the same way about the word "falang," I have to accept it's use by the Thais and not be bothered too much by it as a way of life here but when I hear white westerners calling themselves "falang" it just seem ridiculous to me.

KT, you need to chill a bit. This topic has been covered endlessly and the verdict is in. It's not derogatory. Its use is EXACTLY the same as the use of the word "Asian" in the US to describe those from Asiatic countries. This covers those from Japan, Korea, China, Thailand, etc. It's not offensive. The word farang refers to white foreigners, or Caucasians. That's it. It's a part of the Thai language. So farangs who speak Thai can't use this word? That would seem a little ridiculous to me.

I feel the same way about the word "falang," I have to accept it's use by the Thais and not be bothered too much by it as a way of life here but when I hear white westerners calling themselves "falang" it just seem ridiculous to me

Ridiculous? Why? it's a very useful label and like a lot of words (like "foriegner" for example) is only pejorative if it's meant that way. Nothing about its definition, its origin or its usage is inherently racist or insulting. (By the way, it's ancient and common to many languages with only slight variations and of the same source).

It's nothing like the "N word". It's like saying "black guy" -- if you said it with a certain tone of voice, context, and intent, it could be meant in a negative way, otherwise not at all.

I definitely agree with you. I am in the Surin area, the northeast, and when shopping at someplace like BigC or Tesco I get the same response from farang that you get.

Glad I'm not going around a supermarket looking at and attempting to talk to strangers because we're the same race.

Sounds like you have some psychological issues that you could do with addressing.

Why wouldn't they ignore you? I certainly would. An adult western man staring at me as I shop.

makes me think to myself "hey! so what's so wrong you can't even look at me?"

Why would they look at you? I'm sure they've seen one before, every time they look in the mirror even.

Well aren't you a friendly little tyke................. :bah:

i would suspect he is ... with his friends.

this topic is frequently posted and every time i see it i suspect the op is either needy, lonely, or both.

I don't really care one way or the other...

It's obvious that you do care, otherwise you wouldn't even bring this up. We had a thread about this awhile back and it perplexed me a great deal. Why would a farang have an obligation to acknowledge every other farang they walk by? It's asinine to think that just because we share the same....what exactly (skin color?)....that we'd have to treat one another differently than we would any random Thai (or Japanese or Korean). Let's try this: treat everyone the same. Can you do that? And if any farang (or Thai) were to ignore your incredibly humane efforts at friendliness (or creepiness), don't get so bent-out-of-shape about it. Everyone has their own comfort zone and it doesn't mean that people are "(attempting) to lose their western identities." Where do people come up with this stuff?

I do care, i guess, to the point that only the other westerners are the ones being anti-social horse's petoots. I give and receive dozens (sometimes hundreds) of sawasdee ka/krap greetings every day here and all with a reciprocal smile. Sure I like that. Feels great to give and receive pleasantries of this nature. (Unless you are a troll still hiding beneath your bridge.)

The problem, guitarman, is that you've trying to find negative reasons for why some stranger doesn't want to acknowledge you. Not everyone is as happy-go-lucky as you, perhaps. You shouldn't take it so personal. And you certainly shouldn't demand that everyone subscribe to your way of thinking. Rather, judgmental, don't you think?

:)

Frankly I don't care how you feel about people choosing to add Thai words that are quite defining into their vocabulary in Thailand. Nor do I care about what you taught children in inner city schools in the US. This isn't the US. BTW -- you can tell a lot about who a farang associates with by how he pronounces or spells the word ;)

This is Thailand. It isn't the US. In the U.S. you wouldn't get all offended if someone adds detail to a story by saying "he's black" ... comparing the use of farang to the word nigger really is an ignorant comparison. Again, this is Thailand ... where if you are fat, people will say you are fat. If you are black they will say you are black (this goes for Thais talking about Thais --- they mostly assume black skinned foreigners are from Africa --- my black friends here use the term farang dam to quickly move the mindset of Thais away from that assumption.If you are really skinny they will say it ... why get offended about someone pointing out the truth?

I hope the day never comes where Thailand becomes so PC that it doesn't bother people like you :)

Have you ever heard of a "step and fetch it?" Uncle Tom? I pretty much see people with your attitude in a similar light. Reminds me of a girl I knew; some Thais taught her to say "falang mai loo luang" by answering her with that when she tried to speak Thai. She went around saying this when she didn't understand something in Thai, you should have seen the Thais roll in laughter. She was quite embarrassed when I told her what she was really saying.

And as far as pointing out the truth, I am not a falang, I am a person from a country who speaks a particular language.

Heres a lesson for you, ask a Thai if they would like to be called a term that groups Thais, Burmese, Laotians and Cambodians together. Ask a Thai in Thai if you will, see what the response is or simple say; "Thai people, Myanmar people same same? I'm sure you can tell the answer by just the look on their face.

And...BTW..I know exactly where I am so don't for a second question my right to be here or express my opinion on this forum, you know nothing about me. That is obvious as no one who knows me would describe me as PC.

LOL .. still at it with the PC stuff :)

You can also tell alot about someone and who they associate with by how they pronounce and spell 'ruu'.

Would a Thai object to being called Kohn Asian? No .. it is applicable, the same way it is to those from Cambodia, Burma, Laos or Malaysia :) Would the majority (not all by any stretch) want to be called khmen? (Then again I would be just slightly offended to be called a Pom ;) ) No. I can speak Thai well enough not to have to ask in the pidgin Thai structure that you used.

If you are in fact not a faRang, then why would you be crying about this? Again, the definition of it means 'white westerner', it works in Thailand as a simple definition. Since (as with asians) there is no way to determine nationality by just looking...... faRang works :) Just like "black" does in the USA. It really doesn't matter how you feel about it other than you will continuously be upset by it until you adjust to the fact that you are not in the US :)

(BTW --- exactly where did I question your right to post here, or your right to be completely wrong when doing so? ;)

(edit -- typo tour-your)

Edited by jdinasia

Reminds me of a girl I knew; some Thais taught her to say "falang mai loo luang" by answering her with that when she tried to speak Thai. She went around saying this when she didn't understand something in Thai, you should have seen the Thais roll in laughter. She was quite embarrassed when I told her what she was really saying.

The whole Farang thing has been done to death...I had this debate decades ago when I learned to speak Thai and have had it too many times since. And I'm certain it's been discussed on TV ad infinitum.

But now I'm intrigued: why was she embarrassed? What did you tell her it meant?

Oh here we go. Let's imply he hangs out with whores based upon what he posts on the Internet.

You guys are good.

We need four more people to post how well the speak Thai, and then well attack his education, lack of work permit, and call him a dirty visa runner. Well also assume he is on overstay.

It's his opinion. He is entitled to it.

Topic: you can kinda see why we avoid people now?

Oh here we go. Let's imply he hangs out with whores based upon what he posts on the Internet.

You guys are good.

We need four more people to post how well the speak Thai, and then well attack his education, lack of work permit, and call him a dirty visa runner. Well also assume he is on overstay.

It's his opinion. He is entitled to it.

Topic: you can kinda see why we avoid people now?

Nope --- I don't make many assumptions about people when I can avoid it. However, the use of the "l" does indicate what regional dialect he has been most closely associated with.

(Your assumption that anyone implied "whores" is all on you mstribling)

Edited by jdinasia

LOL .. still at it with the PC stuff :)

You can also tell alot about someone and who they associate with by how they pronounce and spell 'ruu'.

Would a Thai object to being called Kohn Asian? No .. it is applicable, the same way it is to those from Cambodia, Burma, Laos or Malaysia :) Would the majority (not all by any stretch) want to be called khmen? (Then again I would be just slightly offended to be called a Pom ;) ) No. I can speak Thai well enough not to have to ask in the pidgin Thai structure that you used.

If you are in fact not a faRang, then why would you be crying about this? Again, the definition of it means 'white westerner', it works in Thailand as a simple definition. Since (as with asians) there is no way to determine nationality by just looking...... faRang works :) Just like "black" does in the USA. It really doesn't matter how you feel about it other than you will continuously be upset by it until you adjust to the fact that you are not in the US :)

(BTW --- exactly where did I question tour right to post here, or your right to be completely wrong when doing so? ;)

Again your logic is flawed. Khon Asia refers to a continent, it is a fact apriori that Thai people are from Asia as well as the other countries you mentioned. FaRang (I did that just for you, even though you may not be aware that there is no equivilent in English for the Thai sound of ro rua or law ling, so interchanging l's with r's is not incorrect or correct for that matter, but since you seem to be fixated with that concept I'll respond :( ) is a term referring solely to skin color and has nothing to do with the continent people are from (and by the way I am 100% of Asian ancestry even though my family has resided in a non-asian country for many generations, although I'm sure you will respond by saying you dont care about my ancestry, seems to be your response to everything)

Next point; I am not crying about anything, just expressing my opinion on a forum.

Finally questioning my right to be here comes from your rude tone and choice of words. Disagree with me all you want, that is what this forum is all about, but you don't have to be nasty about it. B)

I've lived away from my country of birth for quite a while and many of my closest friends are not European .... I also think (hope) that I don't see people in terms of colour first, character second .... so when I walk down a street it would not occur to me to speak to anyone because they happen to have pale skin. I generally acknowledge anyone who makes eye contact ... often just with a smile.

I don't speak to complete strangers in the street because I'm not crazy.

When I lived in India I found that some 'gora' (white people in Hindi... not an insult, honest) would speak to me, but there were so few other Europeans we stood out more and they often just wanted help or directions and I guess they thought (incorrectly) that my English was better than the locals.

Now, lets back to the fight over the word 'ferang' ......

:) Then you are Khon Asian --- and not farang (white westerner)! Wow .. you'd be called Asian in the US and I'd be called White there too ... with the same meaning that farang has. :) The assumption (often wrong) of US nationality will be placed on the white guy, and less so with the asian :)

Your PCness/thin skin is showing if you think I was being rude. I was being blunt, and honest (and most importantly --- accurate).

(BTW --- Asia is a continent --- but Khon Asian = Asian ---- and refers to race)

Edited by jdinasia

Jdinasia. Your right. That was a jackass statement. My bad.

Curious and off topic.

I understand Thais and their biases with Issaner's, but have never quite understood why farangs hate them so much.

BTW I taught my 6 yr old nephew to yell "Big white-boy" whenever he sees us. Funny as sh*t.

OP: can you imagine this conversation IRL ?

Jdinasia. Your right. That was a jackass statement. My bad.

Curious and off topic.

I understand Thais and their biases with Issaner's, but have never quite understood why farangs hate them so much.

BTW I taught my 6 yr old nephew to yell "Big white-boy" whenever he sees us. Funny as sh*t.

OP: can you imagine this conversation IRL ?

Some love folks from Isaan, some loathe them .... I doubt most farang could tell where in Thailand a Thai comes from. They might ascribe dark skin and small noses to Isaan but that totally disregards the south (or in fact any part of the country if a person works outside!)

I have no bias for nor against Isaan, it is just a characteristic of Isaan and Lao that they don't use certain consonants.

:) Then you are Khon Asian --- and not farang (white westerner)! Wow .. you'd be called Asian in the US and I'd be called White there too ... with the same meaning that farang has. :) The assumption (often wrong) of US nationality will be placed on the white guy, and less so with the asian :)

Your PCness/thin skin is showing if you think I was being rude. I was being blunt, and honest (and most importantly --- accurate).

(BTW --- Asia is a continent --- but Khon Asian = Asian ---- and refers to race)

I for one certainly don't think everything you say is accurate, but I'm sure you are a legend in your own mind.

If you guys want to sit around and refer to each other as whitey go right ahead. Just so you know you sound like a bunch of...what's that English term I hear often on this forum....plonkers :lol:

I for one certainly don't think everything you say is accurate, but I'm sure you are a legend in your own mind.

If you guys want to sit around and refer to each other as whitey go right ahead. Just so you know you sound like a bunch of...what's that English term I hear often on this forum....plonkers :lol:

"legend in your own mind" and plonkers might be considered rude, uncle-tom WOULD be ... ....It doesn't change the fact that in Thailand .. Asian is Asian .. White is Farang. Yes, I know that if I ever opt for Thai citizenship I will still be "the farang" to the majority of Thai people around me ... doesn't bother me at all! After all, I am not thin-skinned and I think the thought police of the PC state is actually a bad thing. If you can't say black,white,asian ... what next? :)

"legend in your own mind" and plonkers might be considered rude, uncle-tom WOULD be ... ....It doesn't change the fact that in Thailand .. Asian is Asian .. White is Farang. Yes, I know that if I ever opt for Thai citizenship I will still be "the farang" to the majority of Thai people around me ... doesn't bother me at all! After all, I am not thin-skinned and I think the thought police of the PC state is actually a bad thing. If you can't say black,white,asian ... what next? :)

Farang, hopefully :lol:

Would you say hello to every Farang that you saw on the street back home?

I have to say what a 'quality response' that had me chuckle but so true. After you have been here a while and intergrate into the society and culture, you don't even recognise other westerners that much. I know what the OP is saying though, as I went through the same in the early years. But after some years hereyou realise, that's why I left farangland. To get away from them, in as sense. Just appreciate what you have here and enjoy the experience. There is nothing wrong with an acknowledgement of a nod or a"hello" but as I am not French or Italian ,(no offence and it wasn't meant as an insult just a difference in European culture) I don't go and kiss other western men on the cheek when I see one.

:jap:

by the way I am 100% of Asian ancestry even though my family has resided in a non-asian country for many generations,

KT, I'm really, REALLY baffled now. Why on earth would you be so offended by the word "farang?" You're not even a farang. I can't imagine the Thais calling you a farang. You don't have a dog in this fight. Why lose any sleep over this at all? Seriously.

I'll go even further.

Not only do they give the impression that you smell bad and should be avoided, but in some instances being in the same area as another farang is like when two dogs meet for the first time and begin growling at each other.

At most times I feel hostile towards them because they seem hostile towards me.

I have no interest in going out of my way to be friendly just because it`s another white person, but I have noticed some do appear to look down through their noses at you and deliberately make body language as if to say; go on; make my day punk.

Perhaps it`s because they feel we are a threat, encroaching onto their territory and taking away the glory of them being the one and only.

Love the pic!! I think I saw him fly past me on his wannabe Harley on Koh Samui last month when I was there. Lol

:whistling:

Yes, that`s him and the worst part is he is actually part of the Thai visa admin team.